It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Todd Gurley Resets the RB Market
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Curious if the opinions On this esteemed board will change with a Super Bowl victory and him having a very stellar season.

I had remembered this statement and wanted to comment on it.

This is a good and interesting question.

If we win the SB it's probably going to be in large part due to a PS historically great offensive run of 30+ ppg avg.

I am generally in favor of keeping a championship band together giving them a chance to defend their title.

It's possible I could change my mind on cutting ties with Bell after this season, depending on how it all plays out (this is all in context of if we bring home the Lombardi). Depends on how much the young RB's show/contribute. Depends on what Bell means to the offense in the PS... in the Lombardi scenario. I do not see us doing this in a Bell centered offense, but at the same time I might be hesitant to mess with what works if the offense is a PS juggernaut and leads us to Lombardi #7.

While I'm on the subject, let me give a fuck you shout out to the dumbass Mark Cuban and his GM Donnie Nelson for not giving the 2011 Mavericks a chance to defend their title. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:50 pm 

This is probably beating a dead football horse, but this is a new video arguing the Steelers should let Bell walk so I thought I'd post it.

I do not agree that Bell is as good as Gurley at this point in their respective careers and in general I believe he overrates 2018 Bell, but I think the video is worth a watch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:17 pm 

Okay, honest question. Do you think the Gurley contract was a panic move by the Rams, because they heard the Steelers might have been close to a deal with Bell for nearly 15 mill/year?

I honestly think it could have been. If Bell had gotten his deal before Gurley got his, Gurley's price would mostly likely had been more as Gurley's numbers are better and he is younger.

Edit: Ignore this post as Kodiak elluded to this back on page 3 ( before I read the whole thread :oops: )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:17 pm 

alancac98, I think the Rams organization is nuts. That is my professional opinion. :roll:

There they have Aaron Donald, young and dominant, best DT in the game, looking to get paid and with a large amount of cap space do they sign him? No. Instead they:

Signed WR Brandon Cooks to a 5 year $80 million contract even though he hasn't played one game for them yet.

Signed RB Todd Gurley to a 4 year $57 million contract (incentives can get that total to $60 million).

Signed DT Ndamukong Suh to a 1 year $14 million contract (incentives can get that to $15 million).

Signed FS Lamarcus Joyner to the franchise tag of $11.3 million.

Now, yeah, I get that Gurley and Joyner were the right things to do, you have one of the best RBs in the NFL and one of the best FS in the NFL. They are both young, have performed well for you, you drafted them, developed them, so yeah, great to keep them.

But Suh and Cooks? To spend $94 million on them when you have Aaron Donald looking for his second contract? This is a player that you drafted and developed, he is the best there is at his position, and you spend $94 million on Suh and Cooks? Those guys are now playing for their 3rd NFL team, are they really long term solutions? And does an NFL team give out such big money for them?

Donald is money in the bank, you give him a big contract, let him set the market and he is going to earn it and not let you down. I don't understand it, the Rams are looney.