It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Todd Gurley Resets the RB Market
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:47 pm 

Ice wrote:
Bell should cost less. They're really going to have to consider a serious raise in cap sometime soon.

I think there is going to be an interruption in play once this CBA is up. These guys asks will be unbelievable- guaranteed contracts like baseball will be on the table.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Curious if the opinions On this esteemed board will change with a Super Bowl victory and him having a very stellar season.
I hope Samuels and Conner get half of Bell's snaps this season, and the win the SB with someone other than bell getting the mvp. Like BR. That'd be acceptable. Then bye bye bell. Look for replacement(s).

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I think they need Bell as a hedge against the time period to transition Ben, assuming he is not on the Brady career track and more on the Elway track...they wear the same number you know.
Wha? I don't understand. . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Curious if the opinions On this esteemed board will change with a Super Bowl victory and him having a very stellar season.
I hope Samuels and Conner get half of Bell's snaps this season, and the win the SB with someone other than bell getting the mvp. Like BR. That'd be acceptable. Then bye bye bell. Look for replacement(s).

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I think they need Bell as a hedge against the time period to transition Ben, assuming he is not on the Brady career track and more on the Elway track...they wear the same number you know.
Wha? I don't understand. . .

Odds are you will not get another franchise QB after Ben retires around 38. We most likely will have to try a few QBs before we hopefully get the next franchise QB. Having Bell around can make those years a little more tolerable and successful and make Bubby Brister feel like he doesn’t have to put the whole team on his shoulders. This is a moot point if 7 hangs on until 40.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens when the Rams need to pay their QB...

I predict Goff will either not get C$2 from the Rams OR will get the big $$$ and be a disaster for them.

Why did they do this without paying Goff first?

Maybe because agoff had one terrible season and one decent one, albeit with a huge running game and an OC who almost literally held his hand all through the season. Big year for Goff to prove he isn’t the weakest link (he is).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I predict Goff will either not get C$2 from the Rams OR will get the big $$$ and be a disaster for them.

Why did they do this without paying Goff first?

Maybe because agoff had one terrible season and one decent one, albeit with a huge running game and an OC who almost literally held his hand all through the season. Big year for Goff to prove he isn’t the weakest link (he is).

Tom Brady has become a sure fire HoFer and arguably the GOAT by having his hand hold throughout his entire career...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:08 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens when the Rams need to pay their QB...

We paid AB big money while we'd been paying Ben all those years....who else do they have to pay? When you pay a franchise QB, you can still pay 8-9 guys big money. Without a franchise QB it becomes more like 10-11. A franchise QB is basically just a "double" contract and really doesn't cripple a team, not with the way the cap has been going up (you just have to draft well - not much help available in free agency, really)

To be honest, I have no idea what their current cap situation is. But it sure seems like they’ve been throwing around money like Pacman at a strip club lately. Aaron Donald excepted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:21 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Scunge wrote:
This is great for Gurley but the RB that really is going to cash in and totally set the high watermark is David Johnson with Arizona.

My argument all along for NOT paying Bell is that he is not as good/great as he thinks he is, that he is slowing down and that the explosive plays and touchdown production simply is not there for somebody who wants so many touches.

Gurley had 19 TDs last season, David Johnson had 20 TDs in 2016. These two young RBs are just getting started and I can see them joining the likes of a Priest Holmes, a Marshall Faulk, a Ladanian Tomlinson where scoring 20, 24, 31 touchdowns is possible. Bell? No, he is just not in that elite category, lucky to barely go over 10 TDs even with all of those touches.

Some other comparisons between Gurley and Bell:

Explosive plays rushing:

Gurley 8 runs over 20+ yards, 1 run over 40+ yards (57 yard touchdown)

Bell 3 runs over 20+ yards (27 yard run the longest)

Explosive plays receiving:

Gurley 12 catches over 20+ yards, 4 catches over 40+ yards (80 yard touchdown the longest), 12.3 yard per catch

Bell, 5 catches over 20+ yards, 1 catch over 40+ yards (42 yards the longest), 7.7 yards per catch, nearly 5 yards less per catch.

Funny, how Bell and his supporters all talk about how great he is as a WR, how he deserves to be paid because he is just like a WR? Bullshit!! Todd Gurley, and David Johnson, they run deeper routes, they are more dangerous, more explosive, they truly are like WRs out there, Bell and his receiving prowess are more like a slow, plodding TE.

Lets face it, Bell and the receptions that he gets are basically what Heath Miller used to provide back in the day. There is nothing special about it.

Oh, the irony, Bell turned down two offers by the Steelers in back to back years and now he may very well find that both Gurley and Johnson and who knows what other RBs (Elliot) may all get new contracts before he finally gets paid. And he may not get paid anywhere close to what these other players are getting because they are younger, more explosive, have less baggage, etc. He had his moment, but he let it slip away.

All the talk of Bell being the next Marshall Faulk seems like a long time ago. And he was, for a short period of time post rookie fatboy and pre knee injuries. It did not last long though. I loved watching Leveon Bell play football in 2014. I distinctly remember the moment I was saddened when I realized I would never see it again because he could no longer move like that in space.

In today's game, the slow plodding Bell picking his way for a 4 yd gain is getting old. It's inferior to quicker faster guys. David Johnson is at another level.

The fear has been removed over the middle of the field. We need to take advantage of it with quickness/speed in space. Belichick and Brady have been making a living on it for years (along with TE's down the seams).

agree with both u guys 100%. bell outruns no-one except a delineman . sure he can get some yards and make some big runs but he's hardly a threat to break a long run. seems his hesitating style is not fooling anyone anymore. nice target catching ball but hardly spectacular . noway he's worth the franchise tag with his distracting ways. ill be glad when his drama show moves to another team. we've seen bells peak and and enjoyed, down hill from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:25 pm 

Great point about teams adjusting to his 'patient' running style Bam. I agree with this too and people disagree and argue with me all the time and ask where is my proof? Well, I point to the fact that in the last two seasons, the last 24 games that he played during the regular season, that he has now become a fumbler.

In 2016 he fumbled 4 times, 3 times rushing, 1 time as a receiver.
In 2017 he fumbled 3 times, 2 times rushing, 1 time as a receiver.

So, in his last 24 games he fumbled 7 times, 3 of those fumbles were recovered by the defense, two of those fumbles thankfully went out of bounds before they could be recovered.

In those 24 games he had 674 touches and he fumbled 7 times, averaging 1 fumble for every 96 touches.

Contrast that to the the first 38 games that he played where he had 867 touches and fumbled just... once. 1 fumble out of 867 touches.

Bell wants his touches but his yards per carry is declining.
Bell wants his touches but his yards per catch is declining.
Bell wants his touches but the touchdowns are not increasing, even a young, spry Deangelo Williams once scored 20 touchdowns in a season.
Bell wants his touches but he is now fumbling at an alarming rate.

Sorry, but when you look at the whole picture, I do think defenses have learned to play his 'patient style' and that the proof is everything that I have detailed.

Even if they had signed him to a long term contract, they absolutely needed to lessen his touches, we are getting diminishing returns, a second RB to share the load was a top priority. Less touches for Bell will make him more effective, more carries and catches just diminishes him, makes him less effective.

But this is all a moot point now. For those that wonder what life after Bell will look like, well, the proper answer is what did DeAngelo Williams at age 33 look like when he filled in for Bell? There was no drop off at all, in fact the offense scored more points when Williams was in there, there were just as many explosive plays with Williams, maybe more because Williams knew to hit a crease and just go and not dance around and wait, and wait and wait.

You look around at today's NFL and every team appears able to get a decent, functional RB to come in and play immediately and to play well. RB position is the easiest position to draft and the easiest one for early success, even as a rookie. I am not worried at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Great point about teams adjusting to his 'patient' running style Bam. I agree with this too and people disagree and argue with me all the time and ask where is my proof? Well, I point to the fact that in the last two seasons, the last 24 games that he played during the regular season, that he has now become a fumbler.

In 2016 he fumbled 4 times, 3 times rushing, 1 time as a receiver.
In 2017 he fumbled 3 times, 2 times rushing, 1 time as a receiver.

So, in his last 24 games he fumbled 7 times, 3 of those fumbles were recovered by the defense, two of those fumbles thankfully went out of bounds before they could be recovered.

In those 24 games he had 674 touches and he fumbled 7 times, averaging 1 fumble for every 96 touches.

Contrast that to the the first 38 games that he played where he had 867 touches and fumbled just... once. 1 fumble out of 867 touches.

Bell wants his touches but his yards per carry is declining.
Bell wants his touches but his yards per catch is declining.
Bell wants his touches but the touchdowns are not increasing, even a young, spry Deangelo Williams once scored 20 touchdowns in a season.
Bell wants his touches but he is now fumbling at an alarming rate.

Sorry, but when you look at the whole picture, I do think defenses have learned to play his 'patient style' and that the proof is everything that I have detailed.

Even if they had signed him to a long term contract, they absolutely needed to lessen his touches, we are getting diminishing returns, a second RB to share the load was a top priority. Less touches for Bell will make him more effective, more carries and catches just diminishes him, makes him less effective.

But this is all a moot point now. For those that wonder what life after Bell will look like, well, the proper answer is what did DeAngelo Williams at age 33 look like when he filled in for Bell? There was no drop off at all, in fact the offense scored more points when Williams was in there, there were just as many explosive plays with Williams, maybe more because Williams knew to hit a crease and just go and not dance around and wait, and wait and wait.

You look around at today's NFL and every team appears able to get a decent, functional RB to come in and play immediately and to play well. RB position is the easiest position to draft and the easiest one for early success, even as a rookie. I am not worried at all.

Not only that but the two Super Bowl participants last year showed you could equal or better Bell's production by paying minimal cash to multiple RBs that you could switch in and out.

Paying a RB to be a bell cow is unnecessary and foolish.

Pay for some more defense rather than Le'Veon Bell. Get some serviceable running backs and make sure they can pass block.

I don't understand why this concept is causing anyone any difficulty.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm 

I agree that bell is replaceable. But the Steelers really really want that bell cow fullback. Bettis, mendenhall, bell...they used Parker like that.

They just NEED that RB in that role. The earth just cannot spin without it.

I agree that you can get a rb any draft. I also can’t wait to see what samuels can do and I’m not sold on conners in anything more than a backup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next