It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Todd Gurley Resets the RB Market
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm 

Adam Schefter wrote:
Rams and RB Todd Gurley finalizing agreement on a 4-year extension worth $60 million that includes $45 million guaranteed that ties him to LA for the next six seasons, source tells ESPN. Finally a deal that resets the RB market.

Translation: Bye-bye Le'veon in 2019.

Post subject: Re: Todd Gurley Resets the RB Market
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:56 pm 

Bell should cost less. They're really going to have to consider a serious raise in cap sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:58 pm 

Gurley... YPC 4.7 TD 13 Y/R 12.3 TD 6
Bell........ YPC 4.0 TD 9 Y/R 7.7 TD 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:34 pm 

plus injury and more mileage should slot Bell in somewhere under Gurley....except Bell will be an unrestricted FA.

I'd have to see what the cap looks like next year (and what Bell does this year) before committing more money to Bell. I don't think Shazier comes back, so if he doesn't that gives you quite a bit of room to work with.

Sure, use Bell's money instead to bring in a big FA on defense....problem is elite players rarely hit FA any more, and when they do they cost a premium fortune. But probably more value in overpaying some star defensive guy vs. Bell, since both are going to command FA premiums. The question is if anyone on defense will actually be available that's worth the money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:39 pm 

Ice wrote:
Bell should cost less. They're really going to have to consider a serious raise in cap sometime soon.

Also, Gurley has 2 years left (counting option year) on his deal. Factor in two years of franchise tag (which Bell already got), and you're 4 years out before Gurley is hitting $14-$15M in salaries.

Not sure how to slice and dice it, but is that Gurley deal much different than the 5/$60M offered to Bell two years ago with like $30M guaranteed. You're talking 25% more total comp, but starting 4 years after Bell was offered his deal.....so I think arguably a comparable offer (ignoring that PIT bumped the total comp this year).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:11 pm 

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Rams need to pay their QB...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens when the Rams need to pay their QB...

We paid AB big money while we'd been paying Ben all those years....who else do they have to pay? When you pay a franchise QB, you can still pay 8-9 guys big money. Without a franchise QB it becomes more like 10-11. A franchise QB is basically just a "double" contract and really doesn't cripple a team, not with the way the cap has been going up (you just have to draft well - not much help available in free agency, really)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:24 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

We paid AB big money while we'd been paying Ben all those years....who else do they have to pay? When you pay a franchise QB, you can still pay 8-9 guys big money. Without a franchise QB it becomes more like 10-11. A franchise QB is basically just a "double" contract and really doesn't cripple a team, not with the way the cap has been going up (you just have to draft well - not much help available in free agency, really)

Aaron Donald is getting pissed. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:31 pm 

He's certainly gotta be wondering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:39 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Aaron Donald is getting pissed. :D

They do have a bunch of big money contracts, but a lot of those look to be in the final year of their deal. I don't know if they can extend Donald this year or not (doesn't look like it).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 pm 

Ice wrote:
He's certainly gotta be wondering.

It's a bit odd since Gurley had 2 years left (including the option year)....they must have gotten nervous about what Bell could possibly get in FA next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm 

Havoc wrote:

Gurley... YPC 4.7 TD 13 Y/R 12.3 TD 6
Bell........ YPC 4.0 TD 9 Y/R 7.7 TD 2

May as well do the full stat line:
Gurley....279 carries, 1305 yds, 13 TD; 64 rec, 788 yds, 6 TD
Bell........321 carries, 1291 yds, 9 TD; 85 red, 655 yds, 2 TD

Oh, and Gurley is 2 years younger with fewer touches in each of the last 2 seasons. Bell should have taken what was offered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 pm 

I bet Bell doesn't feel that way....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
I bet Bell doesn't feel that way....

I bet he doesn’t either.

But, he should considering his weed fuck ups and his injuries.

Bye bye Bell. I hope you have a monster year and contribute to #7!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 pm 

This is great for Gurley but the RB that really is going to cash in and totally set the high watermark is David Johnson with Arizona.

My argument all along for NOT paying Bell is that he is not as good/great as he thinks he is, that he is slowing down and that the explosive plays and touchdown production simply is not there for somebody who wants so many touches.

Gurley had 19 TDs last season, David Johnson had 20 TDs in 2016. These two young RBs are just getting started and I can see them joining the likes of a Priest Holmes, a Marshall Faulk, a Ladanian Tomlinson where scoring 20, 24, 31 touchdowns is possible. Bell? No, he is just not in that elite category, lucky to barely go over 10 TDs even with all of those touches.

Some other comparisons between Gurley and Bell:

Explosive plays rushing:

Gurley 8 runs over 20+ yards, 1 run over 40+ yards (57 yard touchdown)

Bell 3 runs over 20+ yards (27 yard run the longest)

Explosive plays receiving:

Gurley 12 catches over 20+ yards, 4 catches over 40+ yards (80 yard touchdown the longest), 12.3 yard per catch

Bell, 5 catches over 20+ yards, 1 catch over 40+ yards (42 yards the longest), 7.7 yards per catch, nearly 5 yards less per catch.

Funny, how Bell and his supporters all talk about how great he is as a WR, how he deserves to be paid because he is just like a WR? Bullshit!! Todd Gurley, and David Johnson, they run deeper routes, they are more dangerous, more explosive, they truly are like WRs out there, Bell and his receiving prowess are more like a slow, plodding TE.

Lets face it, Bell and the receptions that he gets are basically what Heath Miller used to provide back in the day. There is nothing special about it.

Oh, the irony, Bell turned down two offers by the Steelers in back to back years and now he may very well find that both Gurley and Johnson and who knows what other RBs (Elliot) may all get new contracts before he finally gets paid. And he may not get paid anywhere close to what these other players are getting because they are younger, more explosive, have less baggage, etc. He had his moment, but he let it slip away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 pm 

Will be interesting to see how Bell is used as a receiver in a post-Haley world, in terms of his route tree.

I agree with the rest of the post, especially the missed window of opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:00 pm 

Ice wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Bell is used as a receiver in a post-Haley world, in terms of his route tree.

If he was actually in camp to work on said route tree, it would be interesting. I think he's going to suck on ice for at least the first 3 games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 pm 

86n96 wrote:
Ice wrote:

If he was actually in camp to work on said route tree, it would be interesting. I think he's going to suck on ice for at least the first 3 games.

Relatively sure he knows the routes already, and would assume he has the playbook, but the timing will likely suffer a bit. Since he's currently not under contract, though, it is his right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 pm 

Ice wrote:
86n96 wrote:
Ice wrote:

Relatively sure he knows the routes already, and would assume he has the playbook, but the timing will likely suffer a bit. Since he's currently not under contract, though, it is his right.

Well, there is a new offensive coordinator.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:51 pm 

86n96 wrote:
...I think he's going to suck on ice for at least the first 3 games.

If he were smart, he'd show up about 2 weeks earlier to try to avoid the slow start he had last year. He's not going to be tagged again, so he absolutely has to put up better numbers if he's going to get the deal he wants. That's not happening if he runs in quicksand for 3-4 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:34 pm 

Thinking about Bell’s contract for next year; the Steelers will be able to easily sign him.

All they have to do is do the Exclusive Franchise Tag again. Bell can’t negotiate with any other team. He will be “guaranteed” $24ish million. They do their good faith negotiations again for a long term deal and if he doesn’t sign, you drop hints that the franchise tag will be withdrawn when he shows up to sign presumably again right before the season. He will either sign early and he will have his 13-14 ish million over the course of his career, or if he tries to sign late you make it clear the contract won’t be available week 1 of the season.

That is the Steelers’ leverage to get a new long term deal next year.

1. Sign the long term good faith effort of a deal in 2019.
2. Sign the Tag offer on the day after if the long term deal deadline passes
3. Revoke the tag on the last pre season game week and tell him to go pound sand after all the money is gone across the league.

The strategy above will force his hand. Father Time will be hanging over him too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:37 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
86n96 wrote:
...I think he's going to suck on ice for at least the first 3 games.

If he were smart, he'd show up about 2 weeks earlier to try to avoid the slow start he had last year. He's not going to be tagged again, so he absolutely has to put up better numbers if he's going to get the deal he wants. That's not happening if he runs in quicksand for 3-4 weeks.

Why are you so sure he won’t be tagged again?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:09 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:

I predict Goff will either not get C$2 from the Rams OR will get the big $$$ and be a disaster for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:16 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Thinking about Bell’s contract for next year; the Steelers will be able to easily sign him.

All they have to do is do the Exclusive Franchise Tag again. Bell can’t negotiate with any other team. He will be “guaranteed” $24ish million. They do their good faith negotiations again for a long term deal and if he doesn’t sign, you drop hints that the franchise tag will be withdrawn when he shows up to sign presumably again right before the season. He will either sign early and he will have his 13-14 ish million over the course of his career, or if he tries to sign late you make it clear the contract won’t be available week 1 of the season.

3. Revoke the tag on the last pre season game week and tell him to go pound sand after all the money is gone across the league.

The strategy above will force his hand. Father Time will be hanging over him too.

I love Bell, but it's time to move on after this season. No matter how he performs.

I have zero faith in Conner and Ridley is a journeyman. Like Samuels a lot and hopefully we find another Willie Parker-esque player in one of our UDFA's.

If none of these guys step forward to claim the job, pick Bell's replacement in the first 3 rounds next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 am 

KC wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

I love Bell, but it's time to move on after this season. No matter how he performs.

I have zero faith in Conner and Ridley is a journeyman. Like Samuels a lot and hopefully we find another Willie Parker-esque player in one of our UDFA's.

If none of these guys step forward to claim the job, pick Bell's replacement in the first 3 rounds next season.

Yep I agree. Should probably take his replacement anyway. We should move to a legitimate 2-back system like the rest of the league. Hell look at NE, they rotate guys all the time and get enough production to maintain a solid offense. We don't need another Bell IMO.