It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FA approaching regular season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 pm 

FC wrote:
Justin Thomas has special athletic ability...The roster battles shall be interesting

Maybe-- I think Jaylen Samuels will be the 1st backup wideout in the slot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:07 am 

Scunge wrote:
Good Riddance. I always thought he was a below average WR, a below average slot WR. Never understood the attraction that some fans and media types had for him. I was one of those that was clamoring for a bigger, more talented WR for the slot and then my prayers were answered and the Steelers drafted JuJu.

If he were resigned he would probably see maybe 10 catches on the year? Maybe less than that? Last season that 50% catch rate and 8.3 yards per catch was pathetic. That is what Eli was producing before the injury. And he plays scared as a punt returner to boot, if I have to watch him or Brown avoid catching the punt and letting it roll inside the 5 yard line again, I will put my foot through the TV.

Honestly, is there really any difference between Marcus Tucker and Eli Rogers? They are about the same size, speed, etc. Rogers has the punt returner experience while Tucker was a kickoff returner. Tucker had 62 kickoff returns in college, averaged 25.7 per return.

Have Cam Sutton do punt returns and Tucker do kick returns. Then Marcus can also be the 4th/5th WR and be content with 10 catches. Rogers if resigned would probably mope and be a malcontent, do we need that? Remember this is one of those players that broke curfew in Miami and then was suspended/deactivated for a game by the Steelers so don't tell me he is a super high character, team first player who would never cause any problems.

THank you.
Eli was your typical JAG. You could put 20 WR's from around the NFL at random and replicate what he did. DHB probably would've performed better.
Looking forward to better talent next season

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Good Riddance. I always thought he was a below average WR, a below average slot WR. Never understood the attraction that some fans and media types had for him. I was one of those that was clamoring for a bigger, more talented WR for the slot and then my prayers were answered and the Steelers drafted JuJu.

If he were resigned he would probably see maybe 10 catches on the year? Maybe less than that? Last season that 50% catch rate and 8.3 yards per catch was pathetic. That is what Eli was producing before the injury. And he plays scared as a punt returner to boot, if I have to watch him or Brown avoid catching the punt and letting it roll inside the 5 yard line again, I will put my foot through the TV.

Honestly, is there really any difference between Marcus Tucker and Eli Rogers? They are about the same size, speed, etc. Rogers has the punt returner experience while Tucker was a kickoff returner. Tucker had 62 kickoff returns in college, averaged 25.7 per return.

Have Cam Sutton do punt returns and Tucker do kick returns. Then Marcus can also be the 4th/5th WR and be content with 10 catches. Rogers if resigned would probably mope and be a malcontent, do we need that? Remember this is one of those players that broke curfew in Miami and then was suspended/deactivated for a game by the Steelers so don't tell me he is a super high character, team first player who would never cause any problems.

THank you.
Eli was your typical JAG. You could put 20 WR's from around the NFL at random and replicate what he did. DHB probably would've performed better.
Looking forward to better talent next season

Most 4/5 WRs are JAG...if you’re lucky. Just saying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 am 

The issue Jobus is that people were saying he was this great find as a slot WR, that he had such a stranglehold on that 3rd WR position that poor JuJu was going to have a tough time finding playing time, that JuJu would most likely be deactivated each game!!!

That is the line of bullshit that was making the rounds last offseason. Why did they draft JuJu? What a waste of a second round pick, we are set with Brown, Bryant, and Rogers and don't forget Coates coming back from injury, blah, blah, blah. JuJu won't ever see the field, yada, yada, yada.

Not only did Rogers quickly lose his job as the #3 WR, but his play further declined when he did see the field. He is not worthy of being on this team, plain and simple, yet there are some fans that just get nervous and cling to these players like they are some sort of 'comfort food'. Oh, we need Eli Rogers, we need Art Moats, we need Landry Jones. Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am 

Scunge wrote:
Oh, we need Eli Rogers, we need Art Moats, we need Landry Jones. Why?

I see where you're trying to go there 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:40 pm 

Quote:
@FieldYates
Source: free agent WR Eli Rogers is leaving his visit with the Chiefs without a deal. He’s now headed to visit the Browns. He played for Browns OC Todd Haley the last three seasons in Pittsburgh. https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1 ... 5323310080
Like the Lottery..."Who's Next?!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:50 pm 

Quote:
@MikeReiss
First-year safety David Jones (Richmond), who spent last year on the Patriots practice squad, was informed of his release by the team. The Patriots now have 2 open spots on their 90-man roster. https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/10 ... 1844611072
At only 24 he's 4.43 40 guy, 4.32 3 cone; tackle machine at Richmond. Very athletic guy throwing for two TD's, also returning a punt 68 yards for a TD. Intriguing.
Quote:
from: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558788 Jones went from a 165-pound, often-used reserve (36 stops, one interception in 2013; 33 tackles, two interceptions in 2014) to a 200-pound, third-team All-American as a junior as he tied for the FCS lead with nine interceptions. He also had 97 tackles, three for loss, and three pass breakups that season. Jones missed half of last season due to a fractured left forearm, but still had 29 tackles and two interceptions in six contests.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm 

Steelers will be on the lookout for OT,ILB,OLB come camp and cuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 pm 

Come on Haley, do us a favor and sign Eli Rogers!

Yeah, I have to think that this may be another year where the Steelers may give up a draft pick to acquire a vet for depth. Tackle could be a big problem if we had some injuries, OLB too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The issue Jobus is that people were saying he was this great find as a slot WR, that he had such a stranglehold on that 3rd WR position that poor JuJu was going to have a tough time finding playing time, that JuJu would most likely be deactivated each game!!!

That is the line of bullshit that was making the rounds last offseason. Why did they draft JuJu? What a waste of a second round pick, we are set with Brown, Bryant, and Rogers and don't forget Coates coming back from injury, blah, blah, blah. JuJu won't ever see the field, yada, yada, yada.

Not only did Rogers quickly lose his job as the #3 WR, but his play further declined when he did see the field. He is not worthy of being on this team, plain and simple, yet there are some fans that just get nervous and cling to these players like they are some sort of 'comfort food'. Oh, we need Eli Rogers, we need Art Moats, we need Landry Jones. Why?

Not disagreeing with a thing you posted. Just that should the Steelers bring him back as the 4th or 5th guy, I’m not going to throw a fit over it...unless they give him an outrageous salary for that roster spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:37 pm 

What is sad, is that Rogers is probably going to make the rounds, find no offers and then the Steelers will sign him for a peanuts deal. Just not interested even if they are paying him next to nothing, it is time to move on, give Tucker or Thomas, or anybody else a chance. Rogers had the foot injury then his achilles, what next? It is one thing if you are a slight WR but can play well, quite another if you are slight, don't play particularly well, and are injured a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 pm 

Be interested to see how Henderson looks catching the ball. He certainly solves your PR/KR problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 am 

Ice wrote:
Be interested to see how Henderson looks catching the ball. He certainly solves your PR/KR problem.

I’m really interested in seeing if he can stick/ contribute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 am 

I've mentioned in a couple other threads, in addition to being a great playmaker at Pitt at times, he's a local Wilmington kid who played his HS ball right down the street, so I'm rooting for him. Hope he spent much of this offseason with a juggs machine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 pm 

He going has to show something in the rety game but needs to also be able to produce as a WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm 

I'll be interested to see what Griffey can do with an opportunity. He's quick, fairly tall, and can play STs - he did well in that role here at UofA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:28 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Not disagreeing with a thing you posted. Just that should the Steelers bring him back as the 4th or 5th guy, I’m not going to throw a fit over it...unless they give him an outrageous salary for that roster spot.

Why?
Why settle?
Why not upgrade?
It's not like we can't find receivers.
We probably already found his replacement in our UDFA haul or can get better after cuts.

I agree, we shouldn't cling to familiar mediocrity if we can improve.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm 

Moats signed with Pittsburgh west according to Schleffer good for him real good guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:21 pm 

Wonder if there'd be any interest here?
Quote:
@RapSheet
A stunner: The #Bengals are releasing starting safety George Iloka, per @MikeGarafolo and me. He’s started every game he’s played in since 2013. Purely a financial decision, but a 28-year-old safety hitting the market at this point is good news for interested teams. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1031235651168096256

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@RapSheet
A stunner: The #Bengals are releasing starting safety George Iloka, per @MikeGarafolo and me. He’s started every game he’s played in since 2013. Purely a financial decision, but a 28-year-old safety hitting the market at this point is good news for interested teams. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1031235651168096256

And, of course, we have 20 of them. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@RapSheet

And, of course, we have 20 of them. :roll:

Instant upgrade over Malik Golden, Dangerfield.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:13 pm 

6'4 225? I wanted him a couple years ago when he was about to be a FA before Cinci resigned him. Can play the SS/ILB hybrid position better than anyone else currently on their roster.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:28 pm 

I thought he was a terror against us last year, glad he's gone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
6'4 225? I wanted him a couple years ago when he was about to be a FA before Cinci resigned him. Can play the SS/ILB hybrid position better than anyone else currently on their roster.

He's an upgrade over Morgan Burnett and the current version of Edmunds, even.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 am 

George Iloka,

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/20/17759076/3-different-theories-george-iloka-release-from-bengals

Quote:
Here’s the thing about being a writer on the interwebz: We make is sound like we know everything, even firing arrogant responses on social media when someone challenges us. Let me provide a behind the scenes window on this: No one knows everything, including reporters, analysts, bloggers, or nighttime writers who drunkenly complain about a starter suddenly being released and look at ownership possibly bungling another move.

Reports suggested production was an issue, with subtle offseason hints about the team’s view at safety after chatting with Eric Reid and Kurt Coleman, and eventually drafting Jessie Bates. A handful of reports cite “financial” reasons. Some of us believe the reason could have been his activity in discussing social issues on social media, and an ol’ bird like Mike Brown, who is facing a complaint from Reid after Bengals ownership asked his intentions regarding the anthem protest, not liking that.

There are other theories.

Responses on Twitter and comments on this site provide some, many of which are good, logical thoughts. Before we continue, keep in mind that these theories are inter-connected weaves of the same pattern.

1) George Iloka didn’t fit into Teryl Austin’s scheme:

Josh Kirkendall
@Josh_Kirkendall
· Aug 19, 2018
Performance, cost savings, social activism, the release of George Iloka makes little sense. https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/19/1 ... ce=twitter

Jeff Riley
@JeffRiley4
I just think what Iloka brings to the table isn’t what Teryl Austin wants. Iloka wasn’t the same after Reggie Nelson left. Replacing RN w/ Williams put Iloka in a spot that should be ball hawking & that isn’t his strength. Williams/Bates makes more sense complimenting each other.

5:49 PM - Aug 19, 2018
See Jeff Riley's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
This became a popular theory — one that makes you think... this explains a lot. It doesn’t require an argument against production (rather a different kind of production). Simply put, Austin wants a free flowing center fielder who has stronger instincts against the pass.

Jessie Bates exclusive: Get to know the Bengals’ second round pick

2) It’s the new helmet rule!

A fellow Bengal fan complained to me about Iloka’s playing style. Always trying to land a huge hit rather than playing the ball - Kevin.Evans.77377.

The NFL implemented a new 15-yard penalty this offseason in which players cannot lower their heads to initiate contact. From the NFL:

Penalties for Violation: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may also be ejected. Ejection standards:

1. Player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet.

2. Unobstructed path to his opponent

3. Contact clearly avoidable and player delivering the blow had other options

Let’s just say that the new rule has caused anger and alarm among defensive players.

One player this could impact is Iloka, a hard-hitting safety who looks for the next big shot. In a way, this also relates to the point that defensive coordinator Teryl Austin wants a safety who is more wide-ranging, looking to react to a pass rather than plow a ball-carrier.

3) Reggie Nelson departure impacting the current team

Since Reggie Nelson left the Bengals have been playing with two strong safeties. Neither Iloka or Williams plays like a free safety. - Rob Lewis.

Since Reggie Nelson left for Oakland (well, wasn’t re-signed and thus left for Oakland), the Bengals moved Iloka into his free safety role. The problem is that Iloka’s style is more geared toward that of an enforcer, rather than a centerfielder. Essentially the Bengals tried placing a square box into a circular hole.

Between 2011-2015, Nelson’s opposing quarterback rating was 73.9, 59.7, 102.5, 50.0, and 61.8. He allowed a high percentage of completions (over 60 percent every year except for one), but he was also really good as positioning himself to secure 23 interceptions during his Bengals career

Stosh comments.......... ( I only see 9 career interceptions )

RELATED

4 winners and 2 losers after the Bengals cut safety George Iloka
Dunlap, Kirkpatrick and more Bengals react to Iloka’s surprising release
When Iloka took over as the center fielder in 2016, he allowed quarterbacks to complete 64.2 percent of their passes, with a passer rating of 85.3 and 68.4 in 2016 and 2017 respectively. Last year, Iloka only intercepted one pass (only one defensive player had more than one interception), but Cincinnati was obviously disappointed in his (lack of) production.

Was the lack of production because he was out of place once Nelson left? Same say yes.

Do not know what he would cost, but he is certainly an upgrade over a handful of safeties in camp and on roster right now,
And if we are looking to play more DB's as a remedy or bandaid for lack of ILB talent, then you can add Iloka to the mix of big DB's in the dime and dime+penny packages.

Davis 6'-1", 202
Burnett 6'-1, 209 ( rookie weight. Is he 220+ now)
Edmunds 6'-1", 217 ( looks north of 220 )
Marcus Allen 6'-2", 215 ( frame to add wt. )

Add George Iioka to that mix....6'-4", 225.
And that becomes a deep group of guys to rotate on and off, while removing Vince Williams, Bostic, and a NT / DT off the field on passing downs

And the bonus would be, i am sure this deep into pre-season, with 2 weeks to live bullets and 8 weeks to a Cincy game, I am sure Coach Tomlin could extract alot of information on the inner working of the Cincy offense as well as how they view and plan to attack the Steelers offense.