It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FA approaching regular season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:37 pm 

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Former Steelers’ WR Eli Rogers, who tore his ACL in January during the postseason and has made a strong and quicker-than-expected comeback from his injury, is scheduled to work out Sunday for the KC Chiefs, per source. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 6821279744
Rogers looking for a job elsewhere means he's done in Pittsburgh?

Post subject: Re: FA approaching regular season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:11 pm 

I thought I read somewhere PIT expected him back. Always seemed off because ACL is really not a big deal any more, so why didn't they sign him?

I don't think they have another good option to back-up the slot. I fully expected Rogers would be the 4th or 5th receiver.

From his standpoint, he's probably seeking a home where he's a clear-cut #3 and paid accordingly. He signs a deal with PIT, then barring injury his career is basically over after that contract.

Rogers signs with PIT, he's not seeing the field much at all. Everyone except Rogers would probably see that as a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:49 pm 

Was it a year ago where Ben and Haley were talking up Rogers as the best slot WR they've had in Pittsburgh?

He's a guy I'd love to have back in the locker room competing but for whatever reason it doesn't look like we're interested.

Baltostiller wrote:
I can agree to disagree without calling another post "assholic" Maybe you should do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm 

Good Riddance. I always thought he was a below average WR, a below average slot WR. Never understood the attraction that some fans and media types had for him. I was one of those that was clamoring for a bigger, more talented WR for the slot and then my prayers were answered and the Steelers drafted JuJu.

If he were resigned he would probably see maybe 10 catches on the year? Maybe less than that? Last season that 50% catch rate and 8.3 yards per catch was pathetic. That is what Eli was producing before the injury. And he plays scared as a punt returner to boot, if I have to watch him or Brown avoid catching the punt and letting it roll inside the 5 yard line again, I will put my foot through the TV.

Honestly, is there really any difference between Marcus Tucker and Eli Rogers? They are about the same size, speed, etc. Rogers has the punt returner experience while Tucker was a kickoff returner. Tucker had 62 kickoff returns in college, averaged 25.7 per return.

Have Cam Sutton do punt returns and Tucker do kick returns. Then Marcus can also be the 4th/5th WR and be content with 10 catches. Rogers if resigned would probably mope and be a malcontent, do we need that? Remember this is one of those players that broke curfew in Miami and then was suspended/deactivated for a game by the Steelers so don't tell me he is a super high character, team first player who would never cause any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

Looks like Hunter and Bey are the backups to the starting three WRs with Rodgers being the odd man out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:45 pm 

Who cares...Marcus Tucker will take on that role just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:39 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Who cares...Marcus Tucker will take on that role just fine.

I don't know. I'd like the 2016 Eli Rogers as my 4th receiver....the 2017 version obviously not.

I suppose DHB is serviceable as vet depth. Not sure I'm satisfied with Hunter as my #4 receiver. Maybe that role will end-up being Samuels, actually.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:01 pm 

Justin Thomas has special athletic ability...The roster battles shall be interesting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:09 pm 

FC wrote:
Justin Thomas has special athletic ability...The roster battles shall be interesting

Randle El 2.0?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 pm 

I like tucker especially in the slot and can be just as good as Eli.
but going to like the battles in camp especially the back up spots.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 pm 

FC wrote:

Maybe-- I think Jaylen Samuels will be the 1st backup wideout in the slot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:07 am 

Scunge wrote:
Good Riddance. I always thought he was a below average WR, a below average slot WR. Never understood the attraction that some fans and media types had for him. I was one of those that was clamoring for a bigger, more talented WR for the slot and then my prayers were answered and the Steelers drafted JuJu.

If he were resigned he would probably see maybe 10 catches on the year? Maybe less than that? Last season that 50% catch rate and 8.3 yards per catch was pathetic. That is what Eli was producing before the injury. And he plays scared as a punt returner to boot, if I have to watch him or Brown avoid catching the punt and letting it roll inside the 5 yard line again, I will put my foot through the TV.

Honestly, is there really any difference between Marcus Tucker and Eli Rogers? They are about the same size, speed, etc. Rogers has the punt returner experience while Tucker was a kickoff returner. Tucker had 62 kickoff returns in college, averaged 25.7 per return.

Have Cam Sutton do punt returns and Tucker do kick returns. Then Marcus can also be the 4th/5th WR and be content with 10 catches. Rogers if resigned would probably mope and be a malcontent, do we need that? Remember this is one of those players that broke curfew in Miami and then was suspended/deactivated for a game by the Steelers so don't tell me he is a super high character, team first player who would never cause any problems.

THank you.
Eli was your typical JAG. You could put 20 WR's from around the NFL at random and replicate what he did. DHB probably would've performed better.
Looking forward to better talent next season

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Scunge wrote:

THank you.
Eli was your typical JAG. You could put 20 WR's from around the NFL at random and replicate what he did. DHB probably would've performed better.
Looking forward to better talent next season

Most 4/5 WRs are JAG...if you’re lucky. Just saying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 am 

The issue Jobus is that people were saying he was this great find as a slot WR, that he had such a stranglehold on that 3rd WR position that poor JuJu was going to have a tough time finding playing time, that JuJu would most likely be deactivated each game!!!

That is the line of bullshit that was making the rounds last offseason. Why did they draft JuJu? What a waste of a second round pick, we are set with Brown, Bryant, and Rogers and don't forget Coates coming back from injury, blah, blah, blah. JuJu won't ever see the field, yada, yada, yada.

Not only did Rogers quickly lose his job as the #3 WR, but his play further declined when he did see the field. He is not worthy of being on this team, plain and simple, yet there are some fans that just get nervous and cling to these players like they are some sort of 'comfort food'. Oh, we need Eli Rogers, we need Art Moats, we need Landry Jones. Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am 

Scunge wrote:
Oh, we need Eli Rogers, we need Art Moats, we need Landry Jones. Why?

I see where you're trying to go there 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:40 pm 

Quote:
@FieldYates
Source: free agent WR Eli Rogers is leaving his visit with the Chiefs without a deal. He’s now headed to visit the Browns. He played for Browns OC Todd Haley the last three seasons in Pittsburgh. https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1 ... 5323310080
Like the Lottery..."Who's Next?!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:50 pm 

Quote:
@MikeReiss
First-year safety David Jones (Richmond), who spent last year on the Patriots practice squad, was informed of his release by the team. The Patriots now have 2 open spots on their 90-man roster. https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/10 ... 1844611072
At only 24 he's 4.43 40 guy, 4.32 3 cone; tackle machine at Richmond. Very athletic guy throwing for two TD's, also returning a punt 68 yards for a TD. Intriguing.
Quote:
from: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558788 Jones went from a 165-pound, often-used reserve (36 stops, one interception in 2013; 33 tackles, two interceptions in 2014) to a 200-pound, third-team All-American as a junior as he tied for the FCS lead with nine interceptions. He also had 97 tackles, three for loss, and three pass breakups that season. Jones missed half of last season due to a fractured left forearm, but still had 29 tackles and two interceptions in six contests.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm 

Steelers will be on the lookout for OT,ILB,OLB come camp and cuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 pm 

Come on Haley, do us a favor and sign Eli Rogers!

Yeah, I have to think that this may be another year where the Steelers may give up a draft pick to acquire a vet for depth. Tackle could be a big problem if we had some injuries, OLB too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The issue Jobus is that people were saying he was this great find as a slot WR, that he had such a stranglehold on that 3rd WR position that poor JuJu was going to have a tough time finding playing time, that JuJu would most likely be deactivated each game!!!

That is the line of bullshit that was making the rounds last offseason. Why did they draft JuJu? What a waste of a second round pick, we are set with Brown, Bryant, and Rogers and don't forget Coates coming back from injury, blah, blah, blah. JuJu won't ever see the field, yada, yada, yada.

Not only did Rogers quickly lose his job as the #3 WR, but his play further declined when he did see the field. He is not worthy of being on this team, plain and simple, yet there are some fans that just get nervous and cling to these players like they are some sort of 'comfort food'. Oh, we need Eli Rogers, we need Art Moats, we need Landry Jones. Why?

Not disagreeing with a thing you posted. Just that should the Steelers bring him back as the 4th or 5th guy, I’m not going to throw a fit over it...unless they give him an outrageous salary for that roster spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:37 pm 

What is sad, is that Rogers is probably going to make the rounds, find no offers and then the Steelers will sign him for a peanuts deal. Just not interested even if they are paying him next to nothing, it is time to move on, give Tucker or Thomas, or anybody else a chance. Rogers had the foot injury then his achilles, what next? It is one thing if you are a slight WR but can play well, quite another if you are slight, don't play particularly well, and are injured a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 pm 

Be interested to see how Henderson looks catching the ball. He certainly solves your PR/KR problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 am 

Ice wrote:
Be interested to see how Henderson looks catching the ball. He certainly solves your PR/KR problem.

I’m really interested in seeing if he can stick/ contribute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 am 

I've mentioned in a couple other threads, in addition to being a great playmaker at Pitt at times, he's a local Wilmington kid who played his HS ball right down the street, so I'm rooting for him. Hope he spent much of this offseason with a juggs machine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 pm 

He going has to show something in the rety game but needs to also be able to produce as a WR