It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Camp
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:16 pm 

Training camp has not started. Players have not reported yet.

And we have our first bombshell from the media

There is Big Ben’s hand-picked choice, Randy Fichtner,

The full quote for fairness

Quote:
There is Big Ben’s hand-picked choice, Randy Fichtner, who will replace Todd Haley as play-caller.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13889229-74/kevin-gorman-steelers-super-bowl-hopes-rest-with-killer-d

Mike Tomlin must love this.
Ben must love this.

Onto camp

I expect Bostic wins the battle for ILB with Tyler M

The Steelers have big time depth issues at O Tackle...I wont be shocked if the Steelers address it in camp(trade) or after cuts.(Add from another team)

The Steelers have talent at every other position.

I hope this camp is hell for the team...Meticulous technique work

New philosophy/ take on the offensive side of the ball
New coaches infusion of talent on the defensive side of the ball
8-10 roster spots open
James Washington as the 3?
Will the Steelers carry a fullback?
The Bell soap opera
How much improvement can the Steelers expect from MacDonald and Outlaw
Can the Steelers get healthy
I promise you two players come out of nowhere and make big time splashes for the Steelers this camp...Its in the air...Call it a hunch

Post subject: Re: Camp
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 am 

FC wrote:
Training camp has not started. Players have not reported yet.

And we have our first bombshell from the media

The full quote for fairness

Quote:
There is Big Ben’s hand-picked choice, Randy Fichtner, who will replace Todd Haley as play-caller.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13889229-74/kevin-gorman-steelers-super-bowl-hopes-rest-with-killer-d

Mike Tomlin must love this.
Ben must love this.

Onto camp

I expect Bostic wins the battle for ILB with Tyler M

The Steelers have big time depth issues at O Tackle...I wont be shocked if the Steelers address it in camp(trade) or after cuts.(Add from another team)

The Steelers have talent at every other position.

I hope this camp is hell for the team...Meticulous technique work

New philosophy/ take on the offensive side of the ball
New coaches infusion of talent on the defensive side of the ball
8-10 roster spots open
James Washington as the 3?
Will the Steelers carry a fullback?
The Bell soap opera
Can the Steelers get healthy
I promise you two players come out of nowhere and make big time splashes for the Steelers this camp...Its in the air...Call it a hunch

I too think Bostic wins a starting spot. I’m not sure about Dirty Red. I’d be all for it. Should be a great battle to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:06 am 

Interested to see how this plays out.

Ben has been a stud when calling his own plays. But Fitchner was the 2-pt architect....you know, where they didn't run EVEN ONCE.

So I don't expect the offense to be better with Fitchner vs. Arians or Haley, I just think it will be much more tilted to toward the pass. I think, overall, it will be a little better but equally shutdown by better defenses, again.

Regardless of what you think about Ben's cerebal play....really no QB has succeeded in today's game without a good OC. Ben calling all/more of his own plays most likely is NOT a recipe for success.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 am 

Quote:

I don’t believe this for a minute...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 am 

I can see Washington in the OPoT conversation. No pressure, kid. He’s been playing bryants Z on the outside. I just think they’re going to uncork this dude. There are many playmakers on O but given route options I can always see Ben peeking at that matchup and never afraid to take it.

That’s assuming Washington shows hands and ability to separate. Could be biggest surprise on O this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 am 

Edmunds signed yet? If not, what’s the hold up?

Samuels, a healthy Conner, healthy Vance and Washington make this offense more explosive than we’ve seen in recent years. The stars will align.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:43 pm 

I think they will be looking for cuts also at the OLB spot .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

I think they sign Boz to a long term deal. Be dumb not to.

If Bostic can't beat out Red the move to get Bostic wouldn't be catastrophically bad but would still be not good. If it does turn out to be the case at least Bostic adds quality depth.

I fully agree. I hope this camp is extremely challenging from a technique standpoint. Practicing all the "small" details will generate a more competent unit.

The tackle position is of some concern. To expect a newly drafted 3rd RND'er to come in and perform in backup duty as swing OT isn't all that unrealistic but could be disastrous. Baptism by fire?! In my opinion Hawkins wasn't much more comforting in his 3rd season.

As far as camp goes. No Injuries!

Two Rookie Players on the defensive side I suspect will stand out?

Matthew Thomas
Greg Gilmore

Two Rookies on the offensive side I suspect will stand out?

Jaylen Samuels
James Washington

Two Rookies on special teams side I suspect stand out?

Marcus Allen
Quadree Henderson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Interested to see how this plays out.

Ben has been a stud when calling his own plays. But Fitchner was the 2-pt architect....you know, where they didn't run EVEN ONCE.

So I don't expect the offense to be better with Fitchner vs. Arians or Haley, I just think it will be much more tilted to toward the pass. I think, overall, it will be a little better but equally shutdown by better defenses, again.

Regardless of what you think about Ben's cerebal play....really no QB has succeeded in today's game without a good OC. Ben calling all/more of his own plays most likely is NOT a recipe for success.

Late-era Peyton Manning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:04 pm 

Totally forgot about Matthew Thomas. Hope he gets a fair shot.

Keion Adams and Brian Allen the talk of camp out of nowhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm 

FC wrote:

I am hoping McDonald is healthy this season. I personally feel he can be a big match up problem for D's. Faster than most LB's and if you take a DB to cover him it creates space for the WR's and Bell. James I think will improve like he has every year as well hopefully he takes a big step this year. He just turned 24 in June and that is still really young for a guy with a few seasons experience. I know he will never be really swift of foot but he is a big effort guy and has decently soft hands for his size. Grimble flashes on one play then disappears for 5 quarters it seems but he is also not on the field a whole lot. I kinda like the mix we have at TE currently. Here is to Fichtner using them all to there strengths and creating another layer for the defense's to worry about when they see us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:20 pm 

I think Bostic wins the job and there going to some UDFA making noise imo
Thomas is the Defense guy to watch .
I also going to say that Big Dan will have that fire and win the Backup Nose tackle job.
I like Gilmore and Sayers to fight for spots on the DL and PS
I also like Brian Allen think his second year is going to have a solid camp and prove more than a ST GUY.
Another guy is Trey Johnson the Fast cb from Villanova.
The OL line guys to be watching for is RJ Prince and Patrick Morris.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm 

Patrick Morris for me is a big time sleeper, he might be somebody that could find his way on the roster and give the Steelers an option in 2020. Pouncey will be 30 years old and be a free agent at that point, do you give him another extension? There could be young players in 2020 that are going to cash in on large extensions and Pouncey may just have to be sacrificed to keep those other players.

For example, say Artie Burns really flourishes, becomes a top corner and we pick up his 5th year option but then sign him to a large extension. Keeping Pouncey and signing him to a new deal where he is making $7.5 million per year might not be possible.

Which is where Morris comes in, I can see him playing so well that the Steeler HAVE to keep him on the roster, would be poached off the practice squad. Then after two years on the team developing he is ready to step in as a starter in year 3, the 2020 season. For those that say, hey, Scunge you are nuts we have BJ Finney, he can play center! Sure, he could but isn't he be groomed to take Ramon Foster's starting spot? Cant't play two positions at once.

I see the two Florida Gators, Marcus Gilbert and Pouncey both being phased out over the next couple years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
I think they will be looking for cuts also at the OLB spot .

100% agree here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I see the two Florida Gators, Marcus Gilbert and Pouncey both being phased out over the next couple years.

Both are UFAs in 2020 will be 31 and 32, respectively. So one would hope that a contingency plan is in place. I could see one of them being signed to a 3(ish) year deal, but not both.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm 

I'd be hard pressed to say which of those two has been less... errr... more durable over their careers. Just based on that history, I have to hope there's a replacement plan in place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:57 pm 

When those guys leave think you see Ben leave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 pm 

Well, Gilbert, when he is on the field, I do think he is a great RT, but he does miss time, he also has been suspended for PEDs, and he is unhappy about the contract that he signed, feels he is underpaid.

I think that the Steelers will move on from him and that is why they drafted Chuks in the 3rd round. Some outsiders may have thought of that as a surprise selection but it made sense to me knowing about Gilbert. I think that Chuks will get the Marvell Smith/Kelvin Beachum treatment, meaning that the plan will probably be that he starts on right side at RT and then eventually moves over to LT to replace Big Al when he retires.

Pouncey's brother Mike just signed for $7.5 million a year, and with all of the top centers going to be paid in the next couple years, the market for Pouncey may be such that he can make more leaving the Steelers. I think the Steelers should do everything possible between now and then to have a backup plan and keeping Morris in the fold may be part of that.

For those that don't know anything about Morris here is a little morsel for you, he was one of the most athletic center prospects to come out in quite some time.

6'2.5" 300 pounder ran a 5.09 40 (Pouncey 5.29), had 37 reps (Pouncey 25), 35.5" vertical jump (Pouncey 27"), 4.41 short shuttle (Pouncey 4.92), 7.34 3 cone (Pouncey 7.74)

Pouncey was thought to be one of the most athletic, smoothest centers to come out when he was drafted, yet Morris easily trumps him in nearly every category (Morris does not have the height or length). Morris just did not have that body of work in college, did not have the 3 years of starting to make teams draft him I guess.

This is one of those typical, classic Colbert undrafted gems. I feel Morris should have been at the very least a 4th round pick and we picked him up as an UDFA. Morris, Gilmore and Matthew Thomas all could have been taken in rounds 4-5 and we got them as UDFAs, this is one of the best UDFA hauls by Colbert in quite some time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:17 am 

As the original fan of Patrick Morris and Okorafor...Both players have talent. They both have huge issues that need to be addressed technique wise.

I expect Morris takes Foster's job...Next season. Morris issues can be solved quickly because of his athleticism. Morris was ruined by the garbage spread offenses that have overtaken college football. Morris needs a ton of work on his pass sets...Footwork....Hand placement

Parker Collins is the young center to keep an eye on...He has similar technique issues to Morris without the athletic gifts...He also has a Cody Wallace type of disposition

I would have my money on Collins to get in the 1st fight of camp

Okorafor is a piece of clay....Long arms....Good disposition for the position. He needs so much work in the passing game

I just finished listening to the NFL talking heads...They feel the tight end position is on the way out of the NFL like the fullback was phased out 10-15 years ago. They had an interesting take.

-Players who have been drafted at the position have either busted or they cant handle the physicality of the NFL
-The quality players at the position for the most part are over 30
-They consider Engram and Kelce slot receivers because they are never asked or expected to block

Zach Ertz and George Kittle are the only examples of quality tight ends given

Should be real interesting

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 am 

FC wrote:
As the original fan of Patrick Morris and Okorafor...Both players have talent. They both have huge issues that need to be addressed technique wise.

I expect Morris takes Foster's job...Next season. Morris issues can be solved quickly because of his athleticism. Morris was ruined by the garbage spread offenses that have overtaken college football. Morris needs a ton of work on his pass sets...Footwork....Hand placement

Parker Collins is the young center to keep an eye on...He has similar technique issues to Morris without the athletic gifts...He also has a Cody Wallace type of disposition

I would have my money on Collins to get in the 1st fight of camp

Okorafor is a piece of clay....Long arms....Good disposition for the position. He needs so much work in the passing game

You think Finney factors in at all, or no?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:58 am 

Yes Finney is going to make the roster IMO

Collins is fight for PS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm 

FC wrote:

Collins is fight for PS

Oh, no doubt, but I was thinking longer term - I've thought of Finney as the heir apparent to Foster.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm 

Pabst wrote:
FC wrote:

Collins is fight for PS

Oh, no doubt, but I was thinking longer term - I've thought of Finney as the heir apparent to Foster.

Finney was pretty up and down as a G, I thought, so it depends whether you’re an optimist or pessimist at heart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:56 pm 

Finney is a much better Guard than Center IMO and think Morris will so the ability to handle that position like he showed Vs Stanford. but i keep an on your guy Collins too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:04 pm 

Quote:
1m
Backup center Parker Collins getting taken off on a cart. Trainers were working on right knee. #Steelers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next