It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NFL, players agree to suspend national anthem policy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
The biggest dog whistle issue ever!

Had red scare in the 50’s that appears to have been unwarranted, seems like a red scare is warranted now and it would appear the people are asleep at the wheel.

Let’s quit worrying about the Stars and Stripes and who stands for it in the NFL and start to worry about the other red white and blue flag being waved by some in DC.

Trump suggesting rules for the NFL anthem policy is straight out of bizarro world. You could not make this stuff up...Mr Patriot giving Putin a blow job on national TV, having the audacity to blow the dog whistle of the NFL anthem policy and suggest rules on how to behave with your employer.

SO SPOT ON!!

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:53 am 

Here's where I am with this, and it has zero to do with The Fuckin' Douchebag Donald Trump. I HATE having to agree with that dick on anything, but I do on this one. Finally, on Trump....nice to know that the President of the United States is a fuckin' traitor!!

Anyway, onto the anthem. I happen to like the anthem. I like when it's televised. In fact, I'll tune into NHL games between US & Canadian teams just so I can see both anthems, them turn if off if it's a game I'm not interested in.

Here's what I think the protestors miss. They keep saying that they're not disrespecting the flag, disrespecting the military....but...tons of people for whom their message is intended...like ME...perceive that that's exactly what's happening.

It's this simple, and said this from the beginning. If one of my staff was at an event on work time, and sat on their ass, or kneeled when the anthem was being played, they'd be shit-canned in a heartbeat. NFL should take the same position. Well, they wouldn't fire these guys, but had the right thought in terms of discipline.

The END.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:15 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Here's where I am with this, and it has zero to do with The Fuckin' Douchebag Donald Trump. I HATE having to agree with that dick on anything, but I do on this one. Finally, on Trump....nice to know that the President of the United States is a fuckin' traitor!!

Anyway, onto the anthem. I happen to like the anthem. I like when it's televised. In fact, I'll tune into NHL games between US & Canadian teams just so I can see both anthems, them turn if off if it's a game I'm not interested in.

Here's what I think the protestors miss. They keep saying that they're not disrespecting the flag, disrespecting the military....but...tons of people for whom their message is intended...like ME...perceive that that's exactly what's happening.

It's this simple, and said this from the beginning. If one of my staff was at an event on work time, and sat on their ass, or kneeled when the anthem was being played, they'd be shit-canned in a heartbeat. NFL should take the same position. Well, they wouldn't fire these guys, but had the right thought in terms of discipline.

The END.

Why must the douchebag Roger Goodell have anything to do with it though? Seems to me the obvious solution is to leave it up to the individual team owners. Pussy owners won’t like this, but those with integrity will be fine owning their decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:05 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

The END.

Why must the douchebag Roger Goodell have anything to do with it though? Seems to me the obvious solution is to leave it up to the individual team owners. Pussy owners won’t like this, but those with integrity will be fine owning their decisions.

Believe it or not, Lit...WE AGREE!!! I'm good with the employer making the call. Would be VERY interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:47 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Seems to me the obvious solution is to leave it up to the individual team owners. Pussy owners won’t like this, but those with integrity will be fine owning their decisions.

As a libertarian/free market guy, I agree. But free agency and the CBA make this suggestion simply impractical. You try to fine players, you'll get sued by the CBA, and lose in FA.

So it needs to be a league-wide policy, set by Goodell, as approved by a majority of owners. And maybe that's exactly the reason Roger reversed himself. But if it's just a handful of owners who care, then you it's either a league-wide policy of "nothing" or you leave it to individual owners (which will work out basically the same, in the end).

At the end of the day, it probably makes the most sense for the NFL to just not play the Anthem. The money they lose from the military pales in comparison to the impact from some of the fan base. Or just keep the players in the locker room, but for some reason that's not workable....because players are demanding to be able to go out and sit for the Anthem?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:56 pm 

jebrick wrote:
By all rights they should be firing the protestors but that means crippling their teams which costs them money and fans.

But the NFL has other options. Fines, increasing in severity, even possible suspensions. Keep the players in the locker room. Drop the Anthem all together.

Goodell does seem like simply too much of a pussy to stand-up to the players. But I think it might be more the case that he's being drawn into a pissing match with Trump, and being trolled into making dumb decisions (which is what Trump tends to do to people).

And although Goodell has never impressed me as being this savvy, there's also a possibility that he's going to let this simmer as something he can "give" to the NFLPA in the next contract negotiation. Because most of the owners will GLADLY let players kneel if it means 1% more revenue share for them. Probably also why they haven't taken marijuana off the banned list yet - why give it away for free with the next CBA coming up in just a few years?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Our taxpayer dollars should not be going to the NFL to make players come out to the sidelines for the National Anthem. The NFL should stop accepting those payments * and the players stay in the locker room, and this goes away.

* :lol: I know. Those greedy money-grubbers voluntarily passing on every last nickel they could get?

The NFL is a business. Some of you guys start wrapping your mind around that and you’ll be less upset about their “practices”.
Or maybe not...

If you are a small start-up business and you're struggling, you might find yourself taking contracts you don't like because you need the income. When you get to be a multi-billion dollar enterprise, you can be a little discriminating. Is the military's money to make the players come out and stand for the anthem going to make or break the NFL? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:40 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
By all rights they should be firing the protestors but that means crippling their teams which costs them money and fans.

But the NFL has other options. Fines, increasing in severity, even possible suspensions. Keep the players in the locker room. Drop the Anthem all together.

Goodell does seem like simply too much of a pussy to stand-up to the players. But I think it might be more the case that he's being drawn into a pissing match with Trump, and being trolled into making dumb decisions (which is what Trump tends to do to people).

And although Goodell has never impressed me as being this savvy, there's also a possibility that he's going to let this simmer as something he can "give" to the NFLPA in the next contract negotiation. Because most of the owners will GLADLY let players kneel if it means 1% more revenue share for them. Probably also why they haven't taken marijuana off the banned list yet - why give it away for free with the next CBA coming up in just a few years?

The NFL owners are in a no win situation with this and Trump. Keep them in the locker room. Trump talks about being unAmerican. Do not do the Anthem. UnAmerican. Players protest. UnAmerican. Players do not protest and stand for the Anthem. Trump touts how he saved American by forcing unAmerican football players to heel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:20 pm 

jebrick wrote:
The NFL owners are in a no win situation with this and Trump. Keep them in the locker room. Trump talks about being unAmerican. Do not do the Anthem. UnAmerican. Players protest. UnAmerican. Players do not protest and stand for the Anthem. Trump touts how he saved American by forcing unAmerican football players to heel.

Trump will probably have the CIA set-up the Cheatriots with the latest spy tech....because you KNOW Belicheat and Brady will be all too happy to visit the White House. So I guess the Steelers are fucked :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:27 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Yeah, this is dumb. If it were my business, it's simply "no politics". Feel free to use your own celebrity and own personal time to promote your causes....but gameday is not the place for it.

Then take the politics out of the workplace, owners!

no anthem, no problem

Exactly! we don't need the anthem! I DVR every game, so I can fast forward past all the pregame CRAP including the anthem, WE DON'T NEED IT! and every game doesn't have to be a tribute to "the troops" either. Honor some teachers or EMTs sometimes instead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next