It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bell Signing Rumor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:10 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I understand you want tall with a mix of speed and quickness, but would you be ok if you had four AB's as WR? You have to admit that'd be a handful to defend.
That would be Mouse Davis' ultimate wet dream.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:42 pm 

Scunge wrote:
if you take any decent WR and throw an excessive amount of passes to him, in his direction, couldn't they do much the same?

You and I watched a very different 12/25 Ravens game, and definitely Jacksonville playoff game, Scunge, and those are just two recent examples. Eli Rogers makes those plays? Jerricho Cotchery?Sometimes, you can look at statistics so hard that it lowers your football IQ. You're an excellent poaster, and better than this statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:58 pm 

Lord I love the beginning of a new season
The thoughts of free agents and certain draft picks and trades
New coaches and the clues and signs that this is the year Tomlin steelers Do it different
The young guys on D step up
Until it becomes apparent that we do wha we do
And great plays by Ben and AB are our only hope Obi Wan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 am 

I can understand the $$ issue with Bell. Gurley and Elliot are both looking to Bell to set a new bar. But Bell is so beyond them it is not a good comparison.

Rec 85 60
Yards 655 1047
TD 2 1

First one is Bell and the 2nd is Sammy Walkin's BEST year. Not last year but 2015. Walkins just got a 3 year 48M contract with 21M guaranteed ( 16M/year). That is just receiving because Walkins has 9 yards rushing in his career.

So Bell's argument is a good one but I think the Steelers got pressure from other NFL teams about setting the bar too high for RBs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:43 am 

Why should players be slotted for pay by their position to begin with?

In the NBA you don't see centers making such and such, and PGs making such and such. You're just paid what your value as a player is; it doesn't matter what your position is. Especially as the NFL becomes more versatile/positionless, which is a big part of Bell's argument.

There will 100% be a lockout/strike in 2021. The NFL really needs fully guaranteed contracts, but the NFLPA is run by beta morons.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 am 

Gonzo wrote:
Lord I love the beginning of a new season
The thoughts of free agents and certain draft picks and trades
New coaches and the clues and signs that this is the year Tomlin steelers Do it different
The young guys on D step up
Until it becomes apparent that we do wha we do
And great plays by Ben and AB are our only hope Obi Wan

I'm 2/3 way through re-watching the 2008 season, at the moment. A couple of things stand out.

The 2018 offensive line is so much better it can't even be compared. The wideouts of 2018 are better, too... although Holmes, Ward, and especially Nate Washington are all great in their own way. But the big difference is that Ben is so much better now.

The shocking thing is, the 2008 defense isn't so much better on each and every down... but they're incredible at making the play when you need a play made.

Anyway, point of my rant is that: That team was tight, it made plays when it needed to, and the HC was extremely involved. More than I'd remembered. And that team's style of play adapted to its strengths, especially as the year went on.

I wouldn't rule out a team that's good enough to win it this year, with an iron sharpens iron schedule like 2008 was. I wouldn't rule out the HC adapting to some things this year, in a bold way. I'm optimistic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:04 pm 

TB wrote:
Why should players be slotted for pay by their position to begin with?

The NBA is not a good comparison. Skill position guys, and especially QB's, make a lot more than other positions. Throwing everyone into one pot for purposes of franchise tag calcs just doesn't make sense.

And the NBA has a max salary, with a kicker the current team can add on. With both the NBA and MLB having much "softer" caps than the NFL, although that may be debatable given how NFL teams can manipulate the cap with pro-rating signing bonuses.

I still don't understand why the NFLPA doesn't push for much higher vet minimums. Probably because they worry that will just push out vets in favor of cheaper C1 guys. But then the solution is just to also increase the rookie minimums. Fighting for more revenue share that mostly goes to the top 10% of players is pretty much the opposite of how most unions operate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:40 pm 

Ice wrote:
Scunge wrote:
if you take any decent WR and throw an excessive amount of passes to him, in his direction, couldn't they do much the same?

You and I watched a very different 12/25 Ravens game, and definitely Jacksonville playoff game, Scunge, and those are just two recent examples. Eli Rogers makes those plays? Jerricho Cotchery?Sometimes, you can look at statistics so hard that it lowers your football IQ. You're an excellent poaster, and better than this statement.

I will give you an example of what I am talking about. DeAndre Hopkins, I love him as a player and as a WR but is he really a top 5 WR? Is he really head and shoulders over the WRs that are ranked say, 5-20?

Hopkins had 96 catches last season but he was targeted 174 times!!! That is a catch rate percentage of 55, that is actually pretty bad for a supposedly top 5 WR. Yes, I understand that his QB went down, and that historically he has played with pretty bad QBs, but those 174 targets are to the point of excess. You look at Browns 62% catch rate, Juilo Jones 59% catch rate, Hopkins 55% catch rate, those teams are having to throw excessive amount of targets to those WRs for them to put up their monster stats, catches, yards, etc.

By 'decent WR', I mean somebody who is ranked in the top 20-30, maybe top 40, if they were given the same amount of targets as a Julio Jones, as a Deandre Hopkins as an Antonio Brown, then yeah, I think they too can have 100 catches, have over 1,300-1,500 yards, etc.

Look at Minnesota's Adam Theilen. In 2016 he was targeted a 'mere' 92 times, and he responded with 69 catches for 967 yards. In 2017 they targeted him 142 times and he had 91 catches for 1,276 yards. So, now in 2018 with Kirk Cousins as his QB? What if they targeted him 174 times like Hopkins got this past year? Do you see my point? Who was Adam Theilen before 2016? Was he even ranked in the top 50 in terms of WRs? Probably not, but opportunities and targets can't be discounted. I think the talent level and skill level among WRs are very close and that the difference between the Super Star WRs and the 'decent WRs' is really nonexistent at a times. Situation and opportunity is king.

Yeah, Brown is a great WR, a HOFer most likely if he continues on his path, but man, you have to be cognizant of the fact that he landed in the perfect situation. To have Ben as his QB, to be featured and targeted in the passing game so much, does not get much better than that. But say the Madden curse is real and Brown goes down in the first game and is out for the year, JuJu comes in and is targeted 150 times this year in Brown's spot, he isn't going to end up with over 100 catches, 1,400 yards?? Really?? JuJu was targeted 79 times last season and responded with 58 catches and 917 yards. So, if he were targeted 163 times like Brown last season, was given 84 more targets than his rookie season he couldn't have over 100 catches? Couldn't have over 1,400 yards??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 pm 

Ward was 74.1% one year!!!! (actually had 4 years at 69% and above). He was over 12 YPC most of those years.

Not sure about JuJu, not in just his second year stepping into that spot. Definitely not getting the targets, and not sure how well he'd excel against #1 coverage. Still a lot to learn.

And while we all agree some throws are forced to AB, I think the fact remains for him and the other receivers mentioned that they get a lot of targets because they're open more. Ward did most of his damage against zone coverage. I don't know if those other receivers should have higher catch% or not. It's possible to BOTH be open more, and thrown more balls when not open.

I think I counted 8 1000-yd receivers around 70% or higher. Two of those are TE's (Kelce and Gronkowski).

Ben's best completion percentages were 67% and 68% in 2014/15. I'd think 70% would be an excellent number for each receiver to shoot for, because that means Ben is feeding the open guys. AB at only 62% probably doesn't reflect Ben's best decision making.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:00 pm 

Quote:
@RapSheet
The #Giants have agreed to terms with first-round RB Saquon Barkley on his four-year, fully guaranteed contract worth $31.2M, source says. He has a $20.76M signing bonus with $15M paid out immediately — the most in several years. He gets the rest by October. Rookies report today. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1021107546248163328
How much was Bell guaranteed again?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next