It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: We have a lot of versatile guys
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am 

Colin Cowherd, who regularly skewers Tomlin, has a much more sober perspective than most of the harshest Tomlin critics on this board.

I think this take is spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAlkbRz1SUs&t=

Sure, fire Tomlin, but be prepared for the coach that replaces him to be worse. That is the overwhelming likelihood in my opinion. Just be thankful you're not a Saints fan or a Packers fan. You'd be even more pissed off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 am 

stillthere wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Mike Tomlin's coaching resume pre steelers is very thin.

A whopping 1 year as Vikings DC which was nothing to get excited about as far as I can tell.

He has more football experience as an offensive guy since he played WR growing up (at least in college so I assume he did so in HS and maybe before hand) then a couple of years as a secondary coach with Tampa and 1 season as a DC in Minn. He should really be more of an offensive mind than a defensive mind. NFL is weird like that though. Brian Billick is a prime example his being hired in Baltimore was due to his O putting up insane #'s in Minn and then in Baltimore the D carried the team his entire tenure.

Yeah, I was just giving the highlight(s) which in this case totaled 1 season.

We got rid of Haley, so I'm hoping for the best with Tomlin moving forward. This is going to be a very very interesting season for so many reasons. Can't wait to see it all play out.

It strikes me as odd that a former wr seems so set on the idea of needing a bell cow rb in today's nfl (with a HOF qb and HOF wr on the roster). But then again, we did draft Samuels.. so maybe this is a sign our FO including Tomlin is adapting to a changing league? Maybe I will think differently of Tomlin after this season. Like I said, hoping for the best. We will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Just be thankful you're not a Saints fan or a Packers fan. You'd be even more pissed off.

Meh, I don't recall Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy stepping on the field to thwart a hated rival's kickoff return at a crucial moment, forcing their entire franchise to have to live down that humiliation (just one example off the top of my head), but whatevs...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am 

See, I don't agree with Cowherd.

I think most coaches are pretty average, some are better Mon-Sat and some are better on Sun, but they're mostly competent at the job. They tend to be risk averse and stick to convention and popular wisdom (i.e. mediocre). Tomlin is one of those guys.

Sure, the bad coaches outnumber the truly good coaches, but 80% of them are probably just average...and I don't think PIT would hire a bad coach. I really see nothing but upside to replacing Tomlin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 am 

Steeledge wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Just be thankful you're not a Saints fan or a Packers fan. You'd be even more pissed off.

Meh, I don't recall Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy stepping on the field to thwart a hated rival's kickoff return at a crucial moment, forcing their entire franchise to have to live down that humiliation (just one example off the top of my head), but whatevs...

They have Rodgers and Brees and worse records. But whatevs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:00 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
See, I don't agree with Cowherd.

I think most coaches are pretty average, some are better Mon-Sat and some are better on Sun, but they're mostly competent at the job. They tend to be risk averse and stick to convention and popular wisdom (i.e. mediocre). Tomlin is one of those guys.

Sure, the bad coaches outnumber the truly good coaches, but 80% of them are probably just average...and I don't think PIT would hire a bad coach. I really see nothing but upside to replacing Tomlin.

Fair enough. But I look at Green Bay and the Saints and I start thinking that maybe Mike is not as much a dumpster fire as some folks suppose. This is Cowherd's point.

And I would add that I don't care about the Tomlin having Ben argument. Because no coach is winning without a franchise. The only coach consistently making deep pushes in the past decade and a half with a franchise is Belichick. Who else is/has?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:26 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Fair enough. But I look at Green Bay and the Saints and I start thinking that maybe Mike is not as much a dumpster fire as some folks suppose. This is Cowherd's point.

I still think Colbert is one of the best GM's in football. That's a big part of the equation.

Most of Tomlin's success came with players and coaches he inherited. His track record the last 5-6 years really isn't any better than GB or NO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

I still think Colbert is one of the best GM's in football. That's a big part of the equation.

Most of Tomlin's success came with players and coaches he inherited. His track record the last 5-6 years really isn't any better than GB or NO.

Last 5 years
Ben 49-24 (.671)
Rodgers 42-22 (.656)
Brees 43-36 (.544)

Last 6 years
Rodgers 53-27 (.663)
Ben 56-30 (.651)
Brees 50-45 (.526)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm 

Well if the job is to a generate a repeatable pattern that gets you to 9-7 10-6 and into the playoffs most of the time only PT be victimised by having that repeatable pattern attacked ... well than harrumphs all around

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Steeledge wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

They have Rodgers and Brees and worse records. But whatevs.

And also appreciably worse rosters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next