It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bell: Talks closer than prior negotiations
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:47 pm 

If it were up to me, TOP would disappear from team vocabulary.

I do think Tomlin has a conservative coaching nature but I'm hoping Fichtner turns out to be the real deal and I'm hoping Tomlin let's him go for it.

We shall see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm 

I feel like Steelers have entered a cowher like phase. They can pretty reliably win the division, even snag a home playoff game. Then their demises are also similar.

It took Ben to save this team and it going to take that same offensive spark again.

Good news is I see some signs they might officially stop fucking around. Because Ben and the O have been given mixed signals for the whole tenure. I think the road has finally been cleared.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 pm 

Scunge ... the two things go had in hand. I agree it doesn't take a great D to win the SB ... look at the last one. However, this team has not shown any indication that they will do what you stated above ... they will not play the hand dealt them. They will instead play all hands the same. They will not attack on a lead ... they will not dance with the date they brung.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 pm 

Well, I would say finally getting rid of Haley is a sign that they have indeed seen the light. We will see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 pm 

Yeah, we really can't judge until we see the offense under Fich. And for those who say "well, it's still Tomlin, so the offense will still look the same" I disagree because I don't think it was like that under Arians.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:59 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Yeah, we really can't judge until we see the offense under Fich. And for those who say "well, it's still Tomlin, so the offense will still look the same" I disagree because I don't think it was like that under Arians.

That was true in 2007. Only. Threw the ball all over with reckless abandon in the RZ. Then came the famous edict from above to run the ball better. After that, it seemed like Arians was always struggling to hit a set number or set percentage of running plays.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:31 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

That was true in 2007. Only. Threw the ball all over with reckless abandon in the RZ. Then came the famous edict from above to run the ball better. After that, it seemed like Arians was always struggling to hit a set number or set percentage of running plays.

They came out in week 1 of 2008 and lit up Houston, going up 21-0 in the 1st 17 1/2 minutes.

9/10... 104yds... 1TD... QB runs 2/17... 74 yd pass called back

Then Kemo decided it would be a good idea to let Mario Williams have a free run up the middle, so that he could sack Ben and separate his throwing shoulder. After that, Ben threw only 5 short passes and they clearly were in turtle mode. Then struggled all year.

If Ben doesn't get hurt, chances are they wing it a lot that year, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:18 pm 

As with every year I truly hope to be wrong
But IMHO ain't a chance in hell they are going to wing it around
The are going to maximise TOP, run/throw short run extension, take periodic deep shots and try to eliminate TOS and sacks. they believe in the formula.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm 

Gonzo wrote:
The are going to maximise TOP, run/throw short run extension, take periodic deep shots and try to eliminate TOS and sacks. they believe in the formula.

This...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 pm 

Gonzo wrote:

Damn, I hope you’re wrong too.

I believe we fall somewhere in the middle. Won’t be huck it chuck it football like Arians to get Ben Sacked/hurt. I think we’ll see a different spin than Haley’s grab bag of shit play calling with no rhyme or rythem. Somewhere between these two offenses but we’ll see a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:24 pm 

I think that is the more realistic hope
The aren't going to change the overall philosophy
But perhaps fichtner can call a better game to achieve it and score more points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:25 am 

Exactly. The play calling will be different, the philosophy will remain the same.
Haley wasn’t fired because they want to change the way they do business or because Ben demanded a change be made( :lol: ). He was fired because he sucked at his job...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:16 pm 

Hmmm. Ben had the 3rd most pass attempts of his career last season, in just 15 games played, 561 pass attempts. Yeah, he was inactive for the last game against Cleveland but if he had played that game, going by his 37.4 pass attempts per game average he would have had 598 pass attempts. That would have put him at over 4,500 yards passing.

His career high was 608 attempts in 2014.

Bryant as a deep threat last season pales in comparison to the player he was as a rookie in 2014. You look at how Ben was dealing with underachieving WRs like Bryant and Eli Rogers, how McDonald was dealing with various nagging injuries and being behind with learning the offense, and now look at what Ben has in 2018.

JuJu with a year under his belt, a very productive rookie WR in Washington, another versatile rookie in Jaylin Samuels that can line up everywhere, and McDonald with a full offseason and training camp, preseason to get fully up to speed, comfortable, ready to make an impact. With all of this new talent, the yards per attempt is going to most likely significantly increase.

Last season Ben averaged 7.6 yards per pass attempt, but this season I could see that increase to the mid-8s, say 8.5 yards per attempt. Why? Because the talent at the skill positions has been fortified, has been improved. You look at how Eli Rogers averaged 8.3 yards per catch, then look at how JuJu averaged 15.8 yards per catch. You look at how Jesse James averaged 8.7 yards per catch, and then how McDonald in a small sample size admittedly, but still he averaged 13.4 yards per catch. Bryant averaged a whopping 12.1 yards per catch.

Now imagine that Rogers and James are further phased out and JuJu and McDonald combine for 120-130 catches this season, and their yards per catch totals continue to be stellar. Imagine James Washington comes in and is able to be like Wallace and Bryant as rookies and average over 18-19 yards per catch. Ben could throw for the same amount of pass attempts this year but the surrounding talent has been improved to the point where the passing game is going to be more explosive.

I can see Ben having a 5,000 yard season this year, not because he is going to throw the ball more than he did in 2014, but because the skill position players as a group, might be the most talented that he has ever had across the board. A 10 yard completion to Jesse James last season could very well be a 50 yard TD reception for Vance McDonald this season. They will be able to be creative with a player like Samuels and who knows maybe he will develop into a redzone nightmare for defenses.

One of my daydreams this past week was thinking about Ben being on the sideline and the Steelers bring back the Wildcat and they use it like this:

McDonald and JuJu are lined up inside as TEs, Washington and Brown are lined up outside. Samuels and Bell are lined up in the backfield, Pouncey can snap it to either. They (Jaylin/Bell) can tuck the ball and run with JuJu and McDonald able to use their outstanding blocking to help the O-line, or they can throw the ball. Samuels was 2 of 3 for 84 yards and a TD in college. Bell is 0 for 1 in the NFL but was 1 for 1 for 29 yards in college. I am not saying that either would be a real threat to pass the ball, but hell, they could even have one of them lined up at WR and bring in Brown at RB, who is 3 of 5 and has a TD pass. This is not something you would see all the time, like every game, but I just wish they would use the Wildcat more at times in the redzone, in 2 point attempts, etc. Do a little outside the box thinking. Anyway, just a daydream I had. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:21 pm 

My feeling is Ben has two seasons left at 100%, give or take one.

I see Ben like the master thief in the movie that comes back for ...one...last...job.

Nobody is in his way now. Colbert, tomlin, even the deuce realizes some of their legacy is riding on this last run.

Fitchner will design a very friendly week to week and Ben will audible at will. We may even see override tomlin on 4th downs and 2PT.

Bell will get his too. But I see Ben pushing the ball downfield like we’ve never seen before. And that’s saying something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:53 pm 

All that passing % stuff is useless without context. So many WR/TE screens.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER
21.2% Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage
97/119... 712yds... 81.5%... 5TD/1int... 5.98 YPA
78.8% everything else
263/442... 3539... 59.5%... 23TD/13int... 8.01 YPA
Overall offense runs+behind the LOS pass %: 51.6%

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 pm 

Few more days until Bell final season in pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 pm 

Tick.... Tock....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 am 

I'm going to be sick if they announce a last minute deal for 5/$75M. Hopefully the lack of news means a deal isn't happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
I'm going to be sick if they announce a last minute deal for 5/$75M. Hopefully the lack of news means a deal isn't happening.

Hell, I'll be pissed if it's more than 5/45. I hope they don't sign him and he leaves after being run into the ground.