It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Bell: Talks closer than prior negotiations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:22 pm 

Quote:
Le'Veon Bell: Contract talks 'a lot closer than last year'

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: June 26, 2018 at 12:04 a.m. Updated: June 26, 2018 at 09:46 a.m.

Is Pittsburgh Steelers franchise player Le'Veon Bell planning to sit out training camp for the second consecutive summer?

After placing No. 5 on NFL Network's The Top 100 Players Of 2018, Bell said he is optimistic about reaching an agreement on a new contract that would facilitate his arrival at camp on time.

"Yeah. You know regardless that's what I want to do," Bell explained on The Top 100 Players of 2018 Reactions show. "I don't want to have the replications of what happened last year. But if that came down to that, obviously I got to do what I got to do. Take my stand and protect myself. I don't want to have to do that. I want to go to camp and play for the Steelers long term."

Although Bell and team president Art Rooney each expressed hope early in the offseason that a deal will be reached, the All-Pro running back has since threatened a "rerun of last year" when he sat out camp and reported in time for the season opener.

Set to earn $14.5 million under the franchise tag, Bell has until the league-mandated July 16 deadline to finalize a long-term contract. His target number in negotiations has been $17 million annually, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported last month.

Bell turned down last offseason a five-year deal worth more annually than the 2017 franchise-tag figure of $12.1 million, Pelissero added. Somewhere in between those two numbers lies a middle ground that Bell believes the sides can find this time around.

"Obviously, the people in the organization try to do what's best for them and I'm trying to do what's best for me," Bell added. "We're working on it. We're a lot closer than we were last year at this time. That's what I'm happy about. None of that matters if we don't get it done. Hopefully we'll try to get something done. That's what I'm looking forward to. I got confidence we'll get it done. I want to do it."

If the two sides can reach a compromise by mid-July, Bell will arrive at Latrobe as a happy camper. If negotiations fall apart, on the other hand, Bell will likely enter yet another contract year without the benefit of summer practices to knock off the rust and gain the trademark synchronicity with his offensive line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -last-year
Fishing for clicks? Still think a deal gets done?

Post subject: Re: Bell: Talks closer than prior negotiations
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:19 pm 

I hope they don't sign him. The idiots should have used the other tag and let the market set his price. We would be paying no more than 9 million per year if they were smart enough to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:24 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
I hope they don't sign him. The idiots should have used the other tag and let the market set his price. We would be paying no more than 9 million per year if they were smart enough to use it.

completely agree

I think Bell's sea change is all about the fact that the backup RB corps is now better than average, possibly enough to replace him at a much lower price tag.

I think the Steelers would be foolish to give him more than $36M guaranteed. Does anyone think Bell has more than 3 elite, top of the NFL-type seasons left? I don't see that happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 pm 

If they offered about 5/$60M last year, then I'd be offering 4/$48M this year. I wouldn't budge. Basically the exact same place everyone would be if he took that deal last year.

Which is too high. I hope they don't sign him to a long-term deal. I'm sure pride & ego will mean he'll have to find some way to justify taking a good bit less money than PIT originally offered, but at that point good riddance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 pm 

I think the deal doesn’t get done.

Call it greed whatever.

I’m in the camp that’s still scratching their head at why DeAngelo Williams wasn’t retained.

Do I want the deal to get done? For SBI

Do I care if they don’t? Nope, as long as someone fills in adequately and we still win the SB :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:34 pm 

Anyone really believe that a long erm deal will get done? If Bell asking price stays high it one and done here in pittsburgh. I also agree the steelers blew this by not using the other tag and trying to do the right thing by Bell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:

Some might argue that NO deal would be SBI...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:

Some might argue that NO deal would be SBI...

I'm scared shitless that they'll sign Bell to a big, long term deal.

I don't /think/ they're going to do it. I think they're already preparing for life after Bell....but the possibility still scares me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:32 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
Anyone really believe that a long erm deal will get done? If Bell asking price stays high it one and done here in pittsburgh. I also agree the steelers blew this by not using the other tag and trying to do the right thing by Bell.

I definitely think it's possible. There's no doubt in my mind that Tomlin is pushing hard for it, that's his workhorse. Ultimately I think Bell would have to concede and come down to 11-12 million per year than the 15-17 range he had been looking for. I would be surprised, but not absolutely stunned, if that happens.

As an aside, I think Le'veon is going to catch 100 passes this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 pm 

TB wrote:
As an aside, I think Le'veon is going to catch 100 passes this year.

I'll take that bet... no freaking way.

I think the offense/playcalling is about to get a lot more diversified.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next