It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foster team has to ‘give more’ if Bell holds out
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:55 pm 

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-news-ramon-foster-says-rest-of-team-has-to-give-more-if-leveon-bell-starts-slow-again/

I know it is clutchpoints but it is a slow news cycle and a little something is better than nothing.

Quote:
Steelers’ Ramon Foster says rest of team has to ‘give more’ if Le’Veon Bell starts slow again

by Brad Taningco
June 18, 2018

It’s deja vu all over again for the Pittsburgh Steelers with regards to Le’Veon Bell. The star running back is once again holding out this offseason as he continues to push for a new long-term contract.

Steelers guard David De Castro has recently noted how similar this year has been compared to last year. And now, his fellow starting guard Ramon Foster has pointed out that the team must learn their lesson in the wake of their early-season struggles after Bell’s holdout last season.

“I think we did learn something,” offensive lineman Ramon Foster said via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I learned we have to give a little bit more, and I’m OK with that. The guys are OK with that. Coach [Mike] Tomlin said whatever you gave last year; expect to give a little bit more. … As great as Le’Veon is, we have to supplement what he does also. … He might take time to get going, but we have to be better prepared for that.”

Despite having one of the best seasons of his career upon his return from his holdout, Bell still needed some time to get up to speed last year. As a result, the Steelers were 3-2 in their first five games, and were even pushed all the way by the Cleveland Browns in Week 1. Perhaps not-so-coincidentally, Bell had a season-low 32 rushing yards in that game.

It’s not impossible for something similar to happen again in this campaign. The team will have to go up against an improved Browns team again in Week 1, as well as two playoff teams (Chiefs, Falcons) and their two other division rivals (Ravens, Bengals) within the first five weeks. That’s why the Steelers must take Foster’s words to heart and be more prepared to step up if Bell isn’t quite at his best right away.

Post subject: Re: Foster team has to ‘give more’ if Bell holds out
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 pm 

I hope Tomlin learns to give more as well.

As in...find ways to generate offense without forcing Bell out there.

If he's not producing...pull him and put someone else in there.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm 

Nobody is flat out saying negative stuff about Bell but from the quotes it could almost be interpreted as "We know we won't be able to count on him to start the season off". Bell may be wearing his own teammates out with his self centered behavior. I may be wrong, only the players really know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 pm 

Hmmmm.....seems kind of like he's saying it's ok to give less than 110% when Bell is rolling.

That maybe is an attitude I've felt the team (and coaches) have had a long time - the stars will carry us, so I can skate by with less effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm 

“Despite having one of the best seasons of his career upon his return from his holdout“

Uhhh... What? No way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:28 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
“Despite having one of the best seasons of his career upon his return from his holdout“

Uhhh... What? No way.

Typical lazy reporting. If you look at pure production, then yes - tied a career high in TD's, 2nd best rushing yards, 2nd best receiving yards, career best in receptions........it just ignores his efficiency dropped considerably with his averages about the worst of his career.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm 

more carries for guys who been with the team during training camp hope to see Conner getting more touches early this season.

Last edited by steelmann58 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm 

Not gonna happen...Aviators loves him some Lev.
Run the wheels off baby!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Uhhh... What? No way.

And with all of those touches, carries and catches the past two seasons, he has become more prone to fumble. 27 regular season games the past two seasons, 7 fumbles, 3 were lost fumbles, 2 luckily went out of bounds before they could be recovered. Teams have adjusted and are limiting him. They have learned to be patient too, and they are making him cough it up, forcing turnovers.

I am all for him holding out, wait until September to sign that tender. Just gives Samuels more time to get acclimated. Would love to finally have a RB that can actually score some TDs in the passing game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Hmmmm.....seems kind of like he's saying it's ok to give less than 110% when Bell is rolling.

That maybe is an attitude I've felt the team (and coaches) have had a long time - the stars will carry us, so I can skate by with less effort.

That makes me wanna puke in my mouth a little.