It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JuJu has found his dream girl!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 pm 

TB wrote:
Fair point that the 90s with Jordan were a high water mark with the NBA, but the league under Silver is thriving. Forbes makes the argument that this past season may have been the most successful the league has ever had: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/04/25/the-2017-18-season-was-great-for-the-nba/ Acting like the NBA is "cratering" is completely off base. The league is dynamite right now.

Tom Brady is example A of what Goodell's NFL is about. Always PC. Always says the right b.s. Beckham, Bell, and Gronk are vilified proving my point as well. If you step out of line in the NFL you're a selfish monster.

As a head's up, it's not "Forbes" making that argument - it's some dude that pays to write on their webspace. Read the disclaimer below his name: "Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own."

Anyway, I said the league was cratering PRIOR TO THIS PAST YEAR. I know 2017-18 was a good year for the NBA, but you need to acknowledge that the NBA was in the shitter for several years prior to that. Just look at the article you posted:
Quote:
At the end of the 2017-18 regular season, NBA ratings were up across all four networks when compared to last season. ABC led the way at +17%, while TNT was +13%, ESPN +4% and NBA TV +1%. It was the NBA’s highest-rated season in five years. The audience growth was led by hard-to-reach young adults, with ratings for 18-34 demographic up by 14% and the 18-49 age group up by 15%. The median age of the NBA viewer is relatively young at 42, compared to the NFL (50) and Major League Baseball (57). Local TV ratings grew by 3%, after a drop of 14% in 2016-17 season.

Again, the NBA had been heading in the wrong direction for several years prior to last season, and even now they're only back to the point they were in 2012-13; and that's still not anywhere near where it was in the 1990s. Can they sustain it? We'll see, but one good year after essentially bottoming out isn't a trend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am 

TB wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Bizarro world or not your world?

So Favre, Madden, Gruden did not/don't have personalities? Ray Lewis? Deion Sanders?

I have always thought Adam Silver odd and out of place. Thought so the very first time David Stern unveiled him during an NBA draft years ago while Stern was still commissioner. Always wondered what the connection was but never bothered to research it.

You just proved my point for me. You talk about personalities in the NFL and the second name you bring up is a 82 year old coach that has been retired for decades. :lol: Can you name anyone from this century? :lol:

They don't call it the "No Fun League" for nothing. I'm not talking about the early 2000s when the league was entertaining and fun before Goodell stepped in, I'm talking about Roger Goodell's NFL. If you step out of line in the NFL you are criticized and ostracized. Before the NBA Finals were over Lebron James, the biggest superstar in the NBA, said that neither the Warriors or Cavs would go to the White House if invited. This was a story for about a day in the NBA, didn't even cause a blip. In the NFL? If Ben Roethlisberger said that? They would have fans picketing outside of Heinz, it would be national news for weeks. Player like Joel Embiid and Russell Westbrook are celebrated in the NBA. Guys who have a unique fashion sense, put out their personalities on social media, these are all good things in the NBA. In the NFL? :lol: yeah okay. Not a chance in hell. Juju is about as close as you can get and the minute he asks for more money the fans will turn on him with a quickness. He'll just be another "selfish" WR, me-first, not a true team player, a distraction, blah blah blah.

And you talk about how you think Adam Silver is odd, but he is the best commissioner in pro sports. Easily. And the NBA is killing it and is on a huge upswing. Ratings, attendance, merchandise... has never been better. And their grabbing the younger audience too. Average age of a NFL fan is over 50 now. Oof.

It was a blip on the radar because compared to the NFL popularity, the NBA is a blip. It always seems that big NBA fans seem to think it's more popular than it really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:10 pm 

TB wrote:
The fans will turn on him at some point, and probably soon. You can't be an extrovert and have a personality in the NFL. It's like a complete bizarro world compared to the NBA.

They'll hate him for having fun and not putting in extra hours of film study. AB has maybe the best 5 year WR production of anyone in history, but many here blame him for no Super Bowls the last few years because of his personality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm 

The kid is having fun. Who the hell cares about this crap unless it affects the team or his play.

He's not self promoting about his play, alienating his teammates (that I can see). He is a 21 year old kid who is becoming famous and enjoying himself.

The NBA on the other hand is nearly unwatchable. I've never been a big fan but the '90's NBA is worlds above today's game. Watch the last few minutes of Jordan's last game as a Bull and compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=530z-_yjdlU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
TB wrote:
The fans will turn on him at some point, and probably soon. You can't be an extrovert and have a personality in the NFL. It's like a complete bizarro world compared to the NBA.

They'll hate him for having fun and not putting in extra hours of film study. AB has maybe the best 5 year WR production of anyone in history, but many here blame him for no Super Bowls the last few years because of his personality.

I really don't recall anyone blaming AB for anything. Bell, yes. But AB, no.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 am 

Pabst wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
TB wrote:

I really don't recall anyone blaming AB for anything. Bell, yes. But AB, no.

This thread went ridiculous real quick.

A-G-E-N-D-A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 am 

In our culture, personality is overvalued.

Kindness trumps personality (shits on it really), so does now you treat your teammates.

JuJu is a blast, but if he were to turn out to be an ass, it won't be fun anymore. I have zero reason to believe that will happen. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:45 pm 

JuJu is an athlete in Pittsburgh. The first mistake he makes they'll be lining up to destroy him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:03 pm 

The fan fiction on Juju/Elastigirl will be sick and perverted, and I hope you guys post a link.