It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ben on contract talks, playing and paying other players
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am 

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- Two years from free agency in a robust quarterback market, Ben Roethlisberger isn't concerned with landing a record-breaking contract.

"I care about record-breaking Super Bowl wins and things like that -- that's more important to me," the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback told ESPN from his football pro camp Sunday in Pittsburgh.

Roethlisberger taught youth players teamwork for about four hours on Father's Day, and he didn't sway from that message when discussing his future.

Entering a 15th season together, Roethlisberger, 36, and the Steelers are poised for one last extension with the franchise he has helped win two Super Bowls. But Roethlisberger is content discussing those matters after the 2018 season.

Roethlisberger's five-year contract, signed in 2015, averages about $20 million per year, which was the market for top quarterbacks at the time. But several quarterbacks have dwarfed that number, with Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan hitting the $30 million mark and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers to follow.

"I have two years on my contract. I'm not going to be one to sit here and worry about my contract," said Roethlisberger, who ranks eighth in NFL history with 51,065 passing yards. "That's not my job. My job is to play football. I'll let my representation, the Steelers worry about all that stuff. To me, it's all about going out and playing now. I think there are a lot more, maybe a lot more important people who need to get their deals done now. For me to do it two years out, if it doesn't make sense for the team, I'm not going to sit here and worry about it."

And Roethlisberger wants to leave room for teammates to get paid, too.

Asked about the challenges for NFL teams to pay several stars while facing salary-cap hurdles, Roethlisberger said he understands teams are limited and seems willing to help.

"It's important, too, to understand as quarterback of this team, sometimes you almost have to leave a little bit of money behind for other guys," Roethlisberger said. "That's not my job, that's not my thing to worry about. That's why I have agents."

The Steelers currently have around $5 million in cap space while carrying Le'Veon Bell's $14.5 million franchise tag. His situation must be resolved this summer.

Roethlisberger does have a few ideas for how the Steelers can spend after 2018, though: on his coveted line, which has helped cut Roethlisberger's sacks in half from his late-2000s pace. Roethlisberger once took 50 sacks in a season but has 58 over the past three seasons.

"I know in two years, [Maurkice] Pouncey, [Marcus] Gilbert, there are other very important guys up that I hope get taken care of," Roethlisberger said. "Because if they aren't here, I'm not here. That's the way it is; they are that good."

Roethlisberger has credited offensive line continuity for what he calls a three-to-five-year outlook on his career.

His message to campers was about valuing everyone in the huddle.

"I want them to know that football is important, but it's about being a team," he said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2382 ... en-care-of
Ben saying all the "right" things to keep the media from reading into something that's not there. Then in usual American sports media fashion sensationalizing it in the hopes of generating a story versus just reporting one. I love it!

Post subject: Re: Ben on contract talks, playing and paying other players
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am 

Saw the defensive mixes thread, so what about offensive mixes? What could we expect to see with the offensive mixes this season?
Thought I'd throw this article in here for offensive mixes discussion.
Quote:
Jaylen Samuels didn't have a defined position at N.C. State, so the Steelers rookie had an interesting answer when asked if he considered himself a running back, receiver or tight end.
D. All of the above. http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/137 ... s-run-game

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:08 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Saw the defensive mixes thread, so what about offensive mixes? What could we expect to see with the offensive mixes this season?
Thought I'd throw this article in here for offensive mixes discussion.
Quote:
Jaylen Samuels didn't have a defined position at N.C. State, so the Steelers rookie had an interesting answer when asked if he considered himself a running back, receiver or tight end.
D. All of the above. http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/137 ... s-run-game

"Do you see yourself as a RB, receiver, TE, or FB?"

"Yes."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:22 am 

I see Jaylin as being able to play HB, FB, H-Back, move TE, slot WR and KR and even Wildcat QB.

I have talked about this in other threads, but Samuels is going to get plenty of snaps this season.

The haters or doubter will say that they are not going to take Bell off the field for Jaylin 'freaking' Samuels. Okay, fair point, I guess.

Conner, Watson, Fitz Touissant and Stevan Ridley still combined for 152 snaps, and that did not all come in that final game against Cleveland. Rosie Nix had 181 snaps at FB.

Rogers, Bey and Hunter, your 4th, 5th and 6th WRs combined for 542 snaps.

Xavier Grimble, our 3rd TE had 169 snaps last season.

So, let that all sink in, I am not talking about the starters here, Brown, Bell, McDonald/James, JuJu, and Bryant from last season.

The point I am trying to make is that your lowly backup #2 and #3 RBs, your FB, your #4-6 WRs, your #3 TE they all collectively combined for 1,044 offensive snaps.

Those who say, well, Jaylin will be lucky to see the field if they run the wheels off of Bell!!! :roll: Yet, the other RBs (counting Nix) did combine for 333 offensive snaps. Samuels can't come in and get some of those snaps? Really? I can see an offense where they bring in Samuels and line him up as the FB, where both Bell and Samuels are in the backfield. Where they can then motion one or the other out to line up in the slot.

Speaking of the slot, why can't Jaylin take some of the snaps away from that 4th, 5th and 6th WRs? 225 pound Samuels who runs a 4.54 has probably 40 pounds on Eli Rogers and is probably two steps faster. On that 3rd and 5, Samuels can take that quick pass and use his physicality to power to that first down marker. Too often you would see Rogers fall short, easily tackled.

Why can't Samuels take away some of those snaps that went to Grimble last season? Or even Jesse James? Why can't the Steelers use Jaylin like a Jordan Reed, or an Aaron Hernandez, or a Charles Clay? There are many smaller, non prototypical TEs that have made an impact the past 10 years. You don't have to be 6'5" or weigh 260 pounds to have an impact.

Of those 1,044 snaps that went to the bottom tier players last season, why can't Samuels gobble up 350-400 of those snaps this season? This is why I am so bullish, so optimistic that Jaylin can come in and have an impact because the bottom tier players do get snaps, but they have been really underwhelming. Jaylin is going to come in and ninja style, he will stealthily steal away those snaps and have an impact.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm 

to me the snaps the backups took are irrelevant. How many TOUCHES did they get in those snaps?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:32 pm 

The snaps are not irrelevant, you have to get on the field before you can be targeted. But okay, RS, those 1,044 snaps turned into 74 carries for 317 yards, 4.3 yards per carry and 3 TDs, and those snaps turned into 65 targets good for 33 catches for 266 yards, 8.1 yard avg and 4 TDs. So, those 1,044 snaps by our bottom tier players produced 107 touches, for 583 yards and 7 TDs.

Antonio Brown had 888 snaps on offense last season. He was targeted 163 times and he had 101 catches. He had just 9 TDs.

Those bottom tier players collectively combined for 7 TDs while Brown had 9 TDs and Bell only produced 11 TDs.

And those bottom tier players as a group are pretty poor, it is just begging for a young player to step up and take advantage of those snaps.

I compare it to last season and the difference between JuJu and Eli Rogers. There were a lot of people that were sold on Rogers from the year before. He had 550 snaps on offense and was targeted 66 times producing 48 catches for 594 yards and 3 TDs. Me? I yawned because I saw how little he really did and how a player with more talent could do much, much better.

So, JuJu is drafted and the very next year he is on the field for 704 snaps, is targeted 79 times and produces 58 catches for 917 yards and 7 TDs. He is impactful, he is able to have many more catches over 20+ yards, even over 40+ yards, he is able to be used more as a blocker, able to be moved around more and even be used as an outside WR.

I see Samuels this year in the same familiar territory as JuJu last season. He is coming in, there will be snaps and opportunities that the bottom tier players get every year. Once Samuels shows what he can do, the Steelers will continue to go to that well over and over. I predicted 7 TDs for him this season and 35 catches with 1,000 all purpose yards, running, catching, and on returns. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm 

I think Fitchner gets more people involved.

And that will be very interesting to watch unfold, because I'm not sure how less touches will go over for AB and Bell. Although if defenses can't key on them as much, they should be more efficient.