It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trib article on OLBs switching sides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 pm 

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13756398-74/steelers-bud-dupree-tj-watt-comfortable-with-switching-sides

This article makes me really optimistic for this change. Porter’s comments about Dupree are encouraging, especially when he points out that he had beaten his guy many times but the qb could see him and evaded. Thinking about it, this means the qb also saw it when he ran himself out of plays, as he often does on rushes, and made plays accordingly. It seems like the team and dupree are aware of these issues, based on everything I’ve read so far.

Dupree and Watt’s comments on it suggest that they’ve actually put considerable thought into it and think it’s a good idea.

If we can get better pressure from our OLBs maybe we won’t have to manufacture pressure schematically, as Butler has been for the past few years. It’s worked to an extent, but a lot of big plays have come in those kinds of situations. Watt’s comments about the switch allowing him to do more in run support make me hopeful for its impact in the run game as well. Let’s hope they both have breakout years.

Last edited by IncognitoCoup on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tron article on OLBs switching sides
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 am 

I think Dupree is much better suited for right side. For starters, he does a good job of backside pursuit-- better than he does at the point. I have more doubt about Watt being as good at left side as he was at right.

This team has successfully addressed depth at every spot on defense except for edge, where an undersized virtual rookie and Anthony Chickillo are the backups. Just think about either of them playing significant minutes and having to work in coverage. :? :|

Post subject: Re: Tron article on OLBs switching sides
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am 

I do remember reading a lot on Adams that he was a quality athlete in high school, played 3 sports, football, basketball and track. It is that basketball background that has me intrigued. They talk about how he has fluid movement skills, yeah, he was a DE in college but he may actually turn out to be a real surprise dropping into coverage.

Post subject: Re: Trib article on OLBs switching sides
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:32 pm 

Weren't we hearing this crap last year about Dupree?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Weren't we hearing this crap last year about Dupree?

Kinda of reminds me of the yearly fluff "coming of age" pieces on Marty Bryant. How he finally has matured and put it all together...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm 

Fluff?

Quote:
Quarterback Mason Rudolph lived up to their expectations and then some. He has performed better as a rookie than any other quarterback they’ve drafted since Ben Roethlisberger, and they think he can compete in training camp to become his backup.

• Another rookie who made a big impression this spring is hybrid halfback Jaylen Samuels, aka Le’Veon Bell Jr. The Steelers drafted him in the fifth round from North Carolina State, where he did all the things Bell does for the Steelers — halfback, split wide, wildcat quarterback, even H-back. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1806140150

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Fluff?

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:17 am 

Quote:
The defense's performance in a 45-42 divisional playoff loss wasn't what planted the seed for the Steelers to switch outside linebackers T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree.

The plan was hatched much earlier, defensive coordinator Keith Butler admitted Wednesday.

Butler said the Steelers delayed implementing it until the spring for fear of disrupting the flow of the season.

"We had a rookie and another guy who hadn't been in the league very long," Butler said. "We didn't think it was a good idea halfway through the season to switch them because we weren't being unsuccessful in terms of winning games."

A 13-3 record earned the Steelers a division title and a first-round playoff bye, but many defensive flaws were exposed in that home playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Although difficulty stopping the run was high atop the list, the Steelers also were ineffective rushing the passer. A unit that led the NFL with a franchise-record 56 sacks during the regular season failed to bring down Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles. Bortles, in fact, was pressured just four times.

When organized team activities began in May, Watt found himself stationed on the left side of the defensive front after starting as a rookie on the right side. Conversely, Dupree moved to the right side after playing much of his first three seasons on the left.

Watt and Dupree remained at their new spots through the duration of the three-week OTA sessions and have lined up there again this week during minicamp. Will it continue into training camp and the regular season?

"Everything right now is a work in progress," outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said Wednesday. "Anything can change. Right now, (Dupree) is on the right side."

Steelers coaches believe Dupree will be more effective rushing while coming at the quarterback's blind side.

"Bud had rushes where he beat his guy, but the quarterback stepped up, flushed out or went the other way and got away," Porter said. "He had a lot of rushes where he beat his guy but didn't get the sack."

Dupree, starting in his first full NFL season, had a career-high six sacks. He estimates he missed on four more because quarterbacks saw him coming and sidestepped his pursuit.

"It gives us a different matchup," Dupree said. "It's going to be fun. I'm more comfortable on this side. I'm excited to see what happens."

Dupree said he and Watt learned they would be switching sides when they reported for offseason workouts in April.

"Bud was up for the change," Porter said.

So was Watt, who had seven sacks in his rookie season.

"You're more natural on one side or the other, and I think I'm more natural on the left side just because I'm more right-hand dominant," Watt said. "I can have a better dip and a better stab. I have more pitches I can throw on the left side, and I can help out more in the run defense."

Watt said he played both outside positions at Wisconsin, but he wasn't about to balk when the Steelers put him on the right side in training camp last season ahead of franchise career sacks leader James Harrison.

"When I came in, I just wanted to play anywhere," Watt said. "Just to get the opportunity on the right side, I wasn't going to say, 'No, I want to play on the left only.' "

In the Steelers' 3-4 scheme, the outside linebackers also are asked to drop in coverage and be run stoppers. Watt broke up seven passes last season and thinks those numbers can improve now that he will be facing the quarterback while trying to hold containment.

"I definitely am always conscious of the quarterback and his throwing motion," Watt said. "I'm aware of where the ball is thrown, and I'm presented more opportunities to bat the ball down when I'm on the left side. Even in this (offseason camp), I've been able to knock down more passes than usual."

The Steelers hope the switch is just as beneficial for Dupree.

"What Bud did too much of last year, in my opinion, was he got past the quarterback," Butler said. "To me, you're useless when you're past the quarterback and trying to rush the quarterback. Now, he won't be as useless behind the quarterback because he can work back a little bit or he can go up and under where the quarterback won't see him.

"I think that's the way it is going to help us." http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/137 ... hing-sides
So simply switching OLB's to opposite sides is the answer? If it's that easy why not try it in the playoff game where they got their asses handed to them? In spite of the offense giving up 14 of course. If you look at video of Rod Woodson yesterday on NFL network he claimed the defense was the biggest problem in that game "in spite" of the 14 given up by the offense. Link below:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-st ... -playmaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Quarterback Mason Rudolph lived up to their expectations and then some. He has performed better as a rookie than any other quarterback they’ve drafted since Ben Roethlisberger, and they think he can compete in training camp to become his backup.

• Another rookie who made a big impression this spring is hybrid halfback Jaylen Samuels, aka Le’Veon Bell Jr. The Steelers drafted him in the fifth round from North Carolina State, where he did all the things Bell does for the Steelers — halfback, split wide, wildcat quarterback, even H-back. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1806140150

I hope Bell continues to be a dumbfuck leading to this being his last year here.

More from the article

Quote:
And the coaches have him doing all the things this spring to mimic Bell, and doing many of them well.

Quote:
New receivers coach Darryl Drake was equally as impressed with Samuels’ ability to play that position.

“He’s been mostly with the running backs,” Drake said. “He’s a hybrid guy who can move around and do some things. I like his skill set. He has an ability to run good routes, body positioning, catching the ball. There is a definite fit. There is a definite place for him.

On Rudolph...

Looks like Scunge's prediction of Rudolph at #2 has a real chance to happen.

More from the article

Quote:
As with all their rookies, Rudolph will continue his workouts at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex through next Wednesday, then head home to South Carolina to work out.

“I’m going to stay in my own world. I’ll blow up the offensive staff’s cell phones. Hopefully they pick up while they’re on vacation.”

Gotta like the attitude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:22 pm 

I freely admit that I was lukewarm on the idea of drafting Rudolph in round 1 or 2 but to get him in round 3 is sort of hitting the lottery. I was not, and still am not sold on his arm, will find out more when the preseason games begin.

The way I look at it, you see many teams every year spending first round draft picks on QBs just like Mason Rudolph. The list of QBs are too many to name. So, for the Steelers to be able to take a 3rd round pick from the trade of Bryant and a 7th round pick from the trade of Ross Cockrell, for them to be able to get Rudolph in that manner? That is just brilliant. Whether he works out or if he flops at least they did not spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on him.

I will say this though, in reading up on him, watching him interview, hearing him talk, the passion and love for the game that he has, how he carries himself, he sure does look and sound like a first round QB. He just has that swagger, that confidence, that alpha dog in him that I just don't see with Landry Jones or Josh Dobbs. Rudolph is just on a whole different level from them, they are happy to be there, while Mason probably won't be happy until he is a starter. There is a drive and ambition that you can plainly see.

Mason is only going to develop if he is the #2 QB, getting reps, getting legitimate practice time, spending as much time as possible with Fitchner and Ben in meetings, going over the game plans, etc. Yeah, many want to keep Jones as the #3, but he would be inactive each game, he would still collect 4 times the salary of Dobbs. If there is a vet player that we could add right before the season, as we did with Haden and McDonald last year, cutting Jones would free up $1.9 million, Dobbs only $555,000. Keeping Dobbs also allows you flexibility to cut him and put him on the practice squad if you had to do some maneuvering because of injuries, with Jones that is not a possibility. Just so many options and flexibility in cutting Jones and keeping Dobbs.

In terms of Samuels, all you have to do is look at today's NFL and other teams. Leveon Bell may like to think of himself as this elite pass catcher, that he is in a league of his own, but that simply is not true. It is real easy for RBs to come into the NFL and deliver right away in the passing game. I have been watching a lot of Duke Johnson highlights this past week and he sort of reminds me of Samuels. Yeah, Jaylin has about 3 inches of height and is 15 pounds heavier but they both just have that knack in the passing game. I would love to see Jaylin be so good that we are able to have a Batman and Robin backfield, a 1-2 combo, like Freeman and Coleman in Atlanta, like Ingram and Kamara in New Orleans, like Henry and Dion Lewis in Tennessee, like Howard and Cohen in Chicago.