PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm 

There is a report of some issue Juju is having

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2378 ... h-steelers

Post subject: Re: Juju Knee Issue.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Wish I knew more. I saw the interview earlier and was asked if he had it scoped and if that is what he meant by getting it checked out. His reply was you’ll have to go ask Mike Tomlin that one.

Hope it’s nothing serious for the kid.

I’m currently on day 3 of being in the hospital with both knees fully replaced. I’ll be 45 next month.

Take care of yourselves gentlemen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 am 

I consider myself damn lucky, genetically. Been playing competitive sports-- ~40 years of weekly football and decades of mountaineering and skiing... aside from some minor arthritis discomfort, at age 54 the docs always comment that my knee ligament stability is unusually strong. When I think of all the twists/low hits/close calls I've had... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I consider myself damn lucky, genetically. Been playing competitive sports-- ~40 years of weekly football and decades of mountaineering and skiing... aside from some minor arthritis discomfort, at age 54 the docs always comment that my knee ligament stability is unusually strong. When I think of all the twists/low hits/close calls I've had... :shock:

Wow, that’s great man. Luck, genetics both maybe. Hope your trend continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:59 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Wish I knew more. I saw the interview earlier and was asked if he had it scoped and if that is what he meant by getting it checked out. His reply was you’ll have to go ask Mike Tomlin that one.

I’m currently on day 3 of being in the hospital with both knees fully replaced. I’ll be 45 next month.

Wow, that sounds rough man. All the best on your recovery, brother.

+1 on "Take care of yourselves gentlemen". Health is paramount. Take care of what you've got. Eat healthier :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 am 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Holy shit Thrill. Get well man.

I've had 3 ACLs total and I'm 43. Probably a replacement candidate long term as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:52 am 

Get well Thrill!

About a month ago my mother had her 2nd knee replacement (68 in July). Unlike the first one which went smooth, the 2nd one has been brutal for her. Pain and can barely stand on for five minutes before she needs to rest it. She also has issues with her calf on that same knee, not sure if it’s related or not. In the last couple years both my parents have had a bunch of health and injury concerns.

Cannot stress it enough, taking care of yourself before it wreaks havoc on you should be of utmost importance in any of our lives.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 am 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

That is rough Seeker-best wishes going forward.

When I was 10 I went ice skating for the first time in my life. Ended up basically fracturing my kneecap. There were some bone chips so surgery was needed a year later. Basically limped through the next three years.
There is still one chip that two surgeries couldn't find over the years.
Sometimes the chip comes out and is bothersome for years and other times I go long lapses of time with no issue. If the chip is floating around and I sit too long I can't straighten out the leg so I have to massage the chip to make it move for about five seconds.
I learned to live with it.
But it didn't stop me from playing basketball for nearly thirty-five years. I also managed to earn a black belt in TKD with it and went on to become very good at Ju Jitsu despite the knee.

Hoping JuJu is ready and 100% healthy for the season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

I've had 3 ACLs total and I'm 43. Probably a replacement candidate long term as well.

Had my first knee surgery as a 15-year-old in 1970, pre-arthroscope days...had two more when I was 18/19. Still do my elliptical daily, ride the stationary bike. Sometimes my knees aches, sometimes okay. The sports medicine doc said it's one of the worst-looking knees he's ever seen. My PCP advises if it's not killing me, and I can do what I want...don't rush into the replacement. Going to get it done before I retire (3-7 years), while I still have really good medical coverage.

Any advice from you learned ones?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm 

Thanks guys.

I’ve had 2 acl reconstructions and three arthroscopies. One knee had 3 screws and a pin and the other knee had 2 screws and a pin.

Asked if he’d take out that hardware if he could while I was getting my new shiny knees. With full knee replacements you remove the ACL but the pcl stays. Living in upstate NY and the winters, I figured if they weren’t needed take out all he could. So, he said it made him work and he didn’t get em all. I have 1 screw left in one knee and the other knee has 1.5 screws. They’ve been in there for 25 and 28 years. He broke the tip of his screwdriver which is still wedged in the tip of the screw and the screw snapped in half. He gave me 2.5 screws and said what’s left is so far down drilled into bone it’s staying. LoL. Pretty sure that contributed to some of my post surgical pain but at least I got some of them out.

Last edited by SteelThrillsseeker on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Lucky you. I feel lucky that I kept playing basketball, volleyball and softball until about age 44, that's a lot of pounding on the knees and hips, can't do any sports anymore other than biking or golf, after dislocating an ankle, a hip replacement and no cartilage in one knee, I'm lucky a did play sports that long.And I hadn't played real football since high school and last played flag football at around 23. I would of kept going forever if the ankle didn't blow out one night. But it was fun while it lasted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 pm 

This one time at band camp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

I’m Not a Dr but when I had my 5 knee surgeries back in high school, my sports trainer said mid 40’s you’ll be looking at full knee replacements. Boy, did she nail it. Not sure how long ago your ACL’s we’re but that with any kind of meniscus loss is the road to replacements.

Swiss has the right idea with pushing it out and using up better insurance before retirement . My dad had one done, rehabbed back to work then did the other one. Retired about a month after that second knee was done with rehab.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 pm 

I’m currently on day 3 of being in the hospital with both knees fully replaced.

Good luck. Did you play football?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:15 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I’m currently on day 3 of being in the hospital with both knees fully replaced.

Good luck. Did you play football?

Football blew some meniscus and an ACL as a freshman in HS.

The rest of mine were all wrestling.