It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apparently Brown Upset with Media Coverage?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 pm 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23771838/antonio-brown-bemoans-constant-pressure-media-asks-really-free

Quote:
"I can't go nowhere and work out by myself, fans come meet me at the field -- I can't do nothing normal," Brown said Tuesday. "You guys write about me every day. My mom and my kids see it. So we have to deal with these type of things. I started to think to myself, am I really free? I can't really express myself in this game. I can't really tell you how I feel.

Post subject: Re: Apparently Brown Upset with Media Coverage?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

*Consistently goes out of the way looking for the spotlight*

*Gets mad when put in spotlight*

Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Sounds about right.

100% true.

However, I'm sure we've all seen how pathetic some supposedly grown-ass men act around athletes, so I can imagine his frustration.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm 

Love AB, but the dude must post (combined over multiple platforms) 50 times daily on social media. Not exactly the behavior of a man desiring privacy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:40 pm 

AB looks more and more like a heavily medicated TO or Ocho Cinco....somehow he's able to stop himself just short of full-on attention whore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
AB looks more and more like a heavily medicated TO or Ocho Cinco....somehow he's able to stop himself just short of full-on attention whore.

The Facebook live of the Tomlin locker room post game talk was about as attention whoring as one could get. AB is a great player but an asshole. Nothing new here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 pm 

Sounds about right.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 pm 

Lots of professional athletes have private personal lives. You never hear a peep out of them during the off season. AB does his "look at me" schtick all season long into the off season every year. This time of year when camps are starting up and teams are preparing for the season, all the sudden he wants to be left alone? What a dumbass. Get over yourself.

For Example: Steelers’ Antonio Brown needed time to ‘get my mind right’ https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ste ... ght-061218

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 am 

Can’t stand a lot of these guys anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 am 

As long as he plays well, who cares? Now if his play declines, then care. Funny how people care what happens outside the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am 

Bell and AB are 2 peas in a pod

Actually surprised Pouncey tuned down his act

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 am 

Getting tired of Bell and Brown.

Antonio posts workout videos on Instagram that show where he's at, but gets mad when people show up? Give me a break.....

Now it just came out that Bell won't take less than $14.5 million??? Bye bye

Imagine the cap room this team will have next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am 

Just keep catching passes. All the social media crap is easy enough to ignore. Just like with actors, all I want to see is a good movie. What their political views are, religious affiliation, who they like/dislike, how much they bitch about not being rich enough.... all those opinions are just that, opinions and mean nothing to me. As long as the aren't hurting anyone (or killing dogs) and staying out of jail, who cares? If they become too big a distraction, the team's management has already shown they'll get rid of them.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am 

Sounds about right.

Profoundly stated.

Love AB, but this is not a good "look".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 am 

With social media there aren’t enough minutes in the day for some people to make asses of themselves. It’s truly a personal contest for some people.

Any rate I get what AB is saying. The media baits these guys.

For the question of why weren’t you at OTAs AB should have said, I’m here now and that’s all that matters. Then you walk away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 am 

it's still yggy wrote:
With social media there aren’t enough minutes in the day for some people to make asses of themselves. It’s truly a personal contest for some people.

For the question of why weren’t you at OTAs AB should have said, I’m here now and that’s all that matters. Then you walk away.

The stupid part is none of the fans should give a shit if Ben or AB are there. That just takes reps away from other players who need them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am 

jebrick wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

The stupid part is none of the fans should give a shit if Ben or AB are there. That just takes reps away from other players who need them.

The whole offseason to me is nothing but an opportunity for these guys to blow out knees. It’s all downside for vets.

It’s good for rookies and it’s kind of nice to have some news.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm 

He is the best WR in the league and he isn't capitalizing off the football field. I look at this like I look at a graph of the amount of exposure to marketing dollars and there is a point where they intersect. They haven't for Brown at this point so the toll on his privacy seems to be unrewarded (in his mind). That's what this is all about.

OBJ (hurt and inconsistent head case with one terrific season) and Jones (lots of inconsistent games and being hurt) get mentioned in the same breath but they aren't in Brown's league for production and health. But they do better off the field because they play in larger markets and have tremendously more lucrative local and national endorsement possibilities. Where is Brown's solo head and shoulders commercial or VISA commercial? That's about 4 million and 5 million per year respectively. Brown has Pepsi and Nike but he shares that with other big market stars- limiting his perceived grandeur. Large market teams "off the books" work these deals with stadium sponsors, the Steelers just don't have that in their DNA.

So he has three choices- abandon social media, get a better agent who can leverage his followers better, or suck it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
He is the best WR in the league and he isn't capitalizing off the football field. I look at this like I look at a graph of the amount of exposure to marketing dollars and there is a point where they intersect. They haven't for Brown at this point so the toll on his privacy seems to be unrewarded (in his mind). That's what this is all about.

Interesting take, and could very well be some truth there.

He's always pushing his own brand ("Eyes Up Chest Up Prayed up!", "Business is Boomin'")....but that hasn't really paid off for him as much as he probably hoped. All it really did was eliminate his privacy.

I could see some bitterness stemming from that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

One thing I like about AB is he is prone to making comments of unfilitered honesty. What AB was talking about is the downside of Fame, the complete loss of privacy and anonymity, a double edged sword.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:34 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:

Interesting take, and could very well be some truth there.

He's always pushing his own brand ("Eyes Up Chest Up Prayed up!", "Business is Boomin'")....but that hasn't really paid off for him as much as he probably hoped. All it really did was eliminate his privacy.

I could see some bitterness stemming from that.

A personal brand is great when it's being leveraged correctly. He has billed himself as a fun-loving free guy with his end zone antics but he can't carry a marketing campaign by himself. I think that Brown realized that he had a mountain to climb to get those endorsements dollars due to him being in Pittsburgh. The self-exposure through social media was done to help but it should have been enhanced by a savvy marketing firm sponsored by your agent or team. IMO, he really shot himself in the foot with that whole Facebook Live fiasco and hasn't really recovered.

I think that the cure for this (if he makes no other changes) is for the Steelers to win the SB and for him to be the MVP. That should catapult him into having a bigger slice of those dollars but might make him almost unsignable because the only way to get more is to be in a larger market.

Side note, Jones has a 200 million dollar real estate empire here in the greater Atlanta area- that is all Arthur Blanks suggestions. Brown isn't getting that from the Steelers front office because they don't work like that- to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:52 pm 

Personally it would be a bit easier to tolerate Brown and Bell both if they had contributed to a championship. We all have our hardships in life....at least these ass-clowns make millions in the process. It’s time to start treating them like elevator music....if u will. MSM just fuels a lot of the drama.

Seriously, just STFU and play...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm 

punum123 wrote:
Personally it would be a bit easier to tolerate Brown and Bell both if they had contributed to a championship. We all have our hardships in life....at least these ass-clowns make millions in the process. It’s time to start treating them like elevator music....if u will. MSM just fuels a lot of the drama.

Seriously, just STFU and play...

The problem with this sentiment is it ignores that football is legally classified as "sports entertainment". MSM is the NFL's access to you so they want that road to be well traveled. https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/3/16602820/football-midseason-entertainment-company-defense

Asking a dude to be quiet and do his job while simultaneously putting a mic to his mouth and asking his opinion is hypocritical, to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm 

Overwhelming talent. Typical diva WR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Overwhelming talent. Typical diva WR.

He's not even the first PIT receiver to go that route to increase his profile hoping to land some national tv spots. I guess AB didn't get enough for his appearance on Ballers :lol:

I think a big part of what hurts NFL endorsements is the fact that guys wear helmets and aren't recognizable to most people. Also seems to be a trend toward using big name celebs a lot more (again, recognition).