It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Defensive Mixes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm 

Havoc wrote:
I agree on the health of the DL, Veritas

The health of the DL and mixes and schemes aside- I just want a team that tackles cleanly and consistently as a whole.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:06 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I know there are a lot of pessimistic views on what the defense is going to be this year but me, I am hopeful. Sometimes change can bring about a surprising amount of growth. And this defense is undergoing a tremendous amount of change.

Look at all of the players gone from last year's opening day roster.

James Harrison
Art Moats
Willie Gay
Mike Mitchell
Robert Golden
JJ Wilcox

Shazier is on IR and Sean Spence was cut. McCullers was resigned but no guarantee he makes the roster. Coty Sensabaugh probably has a tough time making the roster. LJ Fort could find himself replaced by Matthew Thomas perhaps. There could be as much as 10 players from last year that are not on this year's 26 man defensive roster. That might be a player turnover as high as 38%.

And then the coaching changes. John Mitchell out, Karl Dunbar in. Carnell Lake out, Tom Bradley in. And if Joey Porter or Jerry Olsavsky thought they were secure in their jobs, well, now that they watched two of their defensive coaches replaced, I am sure they are paying attention now.

So, yeah, I am optimistic, all of this change has got to be a good thing. I can't see how we will see the same old, same old anymore. The coaches and players that were responsible for much of that same old are not around anymore. There are new players in town, new sheriffs in town, things have to change for the better, don't they?

There may be some new deputies in town, but that old sheriff remains...and that is the main problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 pm 

Seems players are saying they are doing more man based on our new secondary coach as well having the guys that can play man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 pm 

Quote:
MAN COVERAGE
Kansas City Chiefs – 46.3 percent

New England Patriots – 45.6 percent

Tennessee Titans – 44.4 percent

Houston Texans – 43.5 percent

Seattle Seahawks – 41.1 percent

The #Steelers ran the 2nd most zone coverage in the NFL last season. They ran it on over 70% of their coverage schemes (70.1%).

ZONE COVERAGE
Carolina Panthers – 72.5 percent

Pittsburgh Steelers – 70.1 percent

Buffalo Bills – 68.3 percent

Cleveland Browns – 66.9 percent

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – 66.4 percent

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... st-in-2017

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 pm 

I do know that before that New England game, that the numbers were skewed even more heavily towards zone. That was like the watershed event, the man coverage in the NE game and then in the Houston game you had Joe Haden following DeAndre Hopkins no matter where he lined up, flipping CBs, etc.

Even teams that are great at man to man coverage, no team does it the majority of the time. We are talking 40-45% for man coverage usually. The problem we have had is that we have had years where we are at 30, 25, 20%, and worse we just didn't do it in key situations, giving up soft cushions, allowing key first downs to be completed.

I think Dunbar and Bradley are going to really transform those position groups and allow Butler to finally thrive as our defensive coordinator.