It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Defensive Mixes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:01 am 

What defensive mixes do you think the Steelers will try this year? Tomlin loves Cover 2, playing more man, Dime. Nickle etc.

Post subject: Re: Defensive Mixes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:09 am 

C2 man under with a variety of personnel packages to match up is in the Steelers' immediate future. Bostic and Matthew Thomas are perfect guys to play that middle zone drop and Burns will either adapt to not making mental errors, or he will be replaced readily by Sutton. They couldn't do this last year when Mitchell lacked the ability to shade near the line but still get back to two deep or vice versa.

Against a different team, like NE, they play big dime, with multiple safeties.

NE's run game is designed to throw fresh bodies out there (they have like 10 decent backs on the roster) and attack the edges and change pace inside. It works because of the threat of Gronk. If you match up big with a LB, then they run the quick RBs to the edges and on screens. If you match up with a smaller player, then Gronk typically kills you in the middle.

I still maintain that Brian freaking Allen is the man to mitigate the damage from Gronk. Gronk will still get his but Allen can physically match up well enough to make it hard work. A 4-3 front, an off-ball LB, Allen on Gronk, and 5 DBs. You've still got 3 LB types on the field and could have three or 4 DBs the size of Deion Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
C2 man under with a variety of personnel packages to match up is in the Steelers' immediate future. Bostic and Matthew Thomas are perfect guys to play that middle zone drop and Burns will either adapt to not making mental errors, or he will be replaced readily by Sutton. They couldn't do this last year when Mitchell lacked the ability to shade near the line but still get back to two deep or vice versa.

NE's run game is designed to throw fresh bodies out there (they have like 10 decent backs on the roster) and attack the edges and change pace inside. It works because of the threat of Gronk. If you match up big with a LB, then they run the quick RBs to the edges and on screens. If you match up with a smaller player, then Gronk typically kills you in the middle.

I still maintain that Brian freaking Allen is the man to mitigate the damage from Gronk. Gronk will still get his but Allen can physically match up well enough to make it hard work. A 4-3 front, an off-ball LB, Allen on Gronk, and 5 DBs. You've still got 3 LB types on the field and could have three or 4 DBs the size of Deion Jones.

Like.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am 

I’d like to see more consistent 4 man fronts. In fact if you consider Watt in the elephant role I see a sort of 5-1-5 happening.

They have to keep taking pass D seriously and keep mike Hilton on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 am 

Steelers shifting to 50% man and 50% zone coverage so far in practice. Man is up considerably from last year. Simpler coverage and players to pull it off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I'm in the minority that a lot of Burns issues with releasing or not releasing coverage were because of Mitchells inability to be consistent with the "handoff". Yeah, Burns has some work to do- but it just seems like he was expecting help on some of those deep passes and realized too late that help wasn't coming- either by design or lack of talent.
I expect experienced coaching to clean that part up this year.

Training camp is going to show how far Allen has come. He's got all the raw talent (size and speed) to be a good player. Hopefully, he has learned enough about the position from the new coaching staff. Having just a big guy on Gronk (or any talented two way TE) isn't enough- he has to have some ball skills to make those lob passes more of a 50/50 thing and he has to be able to fight off blocks and tackle RBs like a safety. Those guys are rare in this league, hopefully, Allen is one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:50 pm 

I know there are a lot of pessimistic views on what the defense is going to be this year but me, I am hopeful. Sometimes change can bring about a surprising amount of growth. And this defense is undergoing a tremendous amount of change.

Look at all of the players gone from last year's opening day roster.

James Harrison
Art Moats
Willie Gay
Mike Mitchell
Robert Golden
JJ Wilcox

Shazier is on IR and Sean Spence was cut. McCullers was resigned but no guarantee he makes the roster. Coty Sensabaugh probably has a tough time making the roster. LJ Fort could find himself replaced by Matthew Thomas perhaps. There could be as much as 10 players from last year that are not on this year's 26 man defensive roster. That might be a player turnover as high as 38%.

And then the coaching changes. John Mitchell out, Karl Dunbar in. Carnell Lake out, Tom Bradley in. And if Joey Porter or Jerry Olsavsky thought they were secure in their jobs, well, now that they watched two of their defensive coaches replaced, I am sure they are paying attention now.

So, yeah, I am optimistic, all of this change has got to be a good thing. I can't see how we will see the same old, same old anymore. The coaches and players that were responsible for much of that same old are not around anymore. There are new players in town, new sheriffs in town, things have to change for the better, don't they?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 pm 

Good stuff Scunge. Reason for defensive hope, IMO

A resurgent DL would add some much needed punch back into the D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Good stuff Scunge. Reason for defensive hope, IMO

A resurgent DL would add some much needed punch back into the D.

A fully healthy Tuitt is the punch. Playing with a torn bicep and keeping it under wraps- come on!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:49 pm 

I agree on the health of the DL, Veritas