It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No love for Timmons
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:07 pm 

Scunge wrote:

I really think that Timmons only wants to come back and play for the Steelers

Without saying exactly what you posted. I said, It's going to take an injury. So it's my 'hunch' because he's on the wrong side of 30 with the team issues in Miami, I think the Steelers are in hold mode and there's no need to pay him now when he's not needed. Does Timmons even fit the defense anymore? Anyway, Think Spence last season. It was an unfortunate incident and sheer desperation that required them to seek out Spence. Spence didn't fit well. I think it is the same scenario for Timmons to see a roster. No one else is exactly beating a path to Timmons front door either. JMO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 pm 

Well, I think it is highly insulting to compare Timmons to Spence. If Timmons was somehow brought back when Shazier went down instead of Spence? Might have made a big difference, might have made it to the AFC championship game for a rematch against Brady.

Out of all of the positions on defense, it sure seems like the ILBs have had the most trouble staying healthy. Shazier, Matakevich, even Steven Johnson last season.

Also, I think the Steelers are still pinching themselves that they were able to land another FSU prospect in Matthew Thomas as an UDFA. I feel like he is the greatest obstacle in Timmons coming back. If Thomas plays well and Bostic shows that he is a worthy starter than there simply is no room for Timmons.

I know many are still worried that we haven't addressed the position enough, but Bostic, Williams, Matakevich, LJ Fort and Matthew Thomas are going to surprise this year. As a group, I can't remember a time when we had as much speed at ILB Bostic runs a 4.61, Thomas a 4.58, Fort a 4.68. Yeah, none of them are as fast as Shazier but the point is that we usually have had slow, slow, slow players filling up the remainder of the roster spots at ILB.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 am 

Good post Scunge. I guess they keep Timmons in the back pocket until they see what they have at ILB. Hope they can stay healthy and Timmons is still around if they need him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:58 am 

Scunge wrote:
Well, I think it is highly insulting to compare Timmons to Spence. If Timmons was somehow brought back when Shazier went down instead of Spence? Might have made a big difference, might have made it to the AFC championship game for a rematch against Brady.

Out of all of the positions on defense, it sure seems like the ILBs have had the most trouble staying healthy. Shazier, Matakevich, even Steven Johnson last season.

Also, I think the Steelers are still pinching themselves that they were able to land another FSU prospect in Matthew Thomas as an UDFA. I feel like he is the greatest obstacle in Timmons coming back. If Thomas plays well and Bostic shows that he is a worthy starter than there simply is no room for Timmons.

I know many are still worried that we haven't addressed the position enough, but Bostic, Williams, Matakevich, LJ Fort and Matthew Thomas are going to surprise this year. As a group, I can't remember a time when we had as much speed at ILB Bostic runs a 4.61, Thomas a 4.58, Fort a 4.68. Yeah, none of them are as fast as Shazier but the point is that we usually have had slow, slow, slow players filling up the remainder of the roster spots at ILB.

Not the same player for sure. Not my comparison. Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain well enough. Let me clarify..., When I say just like Spence last year I mean it will take an unforeseen or foreseen injury before Timmons finds himself on a roster. Timmons even at this stage is the far superior talent than Spence. Also I think with the decision to make [according to rumors] the base defense a 43 could play a role in how the talent deficient ILB corps plays out the season. I like the Potential of Thomas but lets face it, unless he explodes all through training camp and preseason he likely plays all snaps on ST's, If he makes the team. I don't believe that they paid Bostic to play from the bench. So..., as it sits right now cause I can't predict the future..., the ILB corps IMHO is Bostic, Williams, Matkevich and Fort. Fort could be nudged by Thomas eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:15 pm 

I recall reading somewhere that Timmons had a falling out with Tomlin at the end of Timmons' time in Pittsburgh. Does anyone else remember that? If so, then maybe bad blood is contributing to the Steelers not signing Timmons.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:48 pm 

Scunge wrote:

This. Comparing Timmons to Spence is retarded. Ever hear of concepts called "body of work" and "lack thereof"? The former is applicable to Timmons and both are applicable to Spence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
I thought the Steelers would give him a vet minimum shot. Nobody wants him so far.

Is there any indication he'd play for the vet minimum? Dude has made plenty of money in his career.