It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4185
Could care less if they go 8-8 or 14-2.

Real test is when this team gets into the playoffs. Tomlin's track record hasn't been so hot in that regard over the past few seasons.

2010 was a long time ago...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 4964
Kodiak wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
The Steelers are good until they face teams that can play at their level or higher.


It's really no one team. Routinely outcoached against teams with similar talent levels.


I would have to a disagree with you on half that comment.
They are routinely outcoached against teams with inferior talent levels

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5372
swissvale72 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Steelers have many problems to address, but the weird expectations of their fans are one of the most daunting.
Seriously. There is much quality analysis on this site yet one has to sift through so much garbage to get it. It sometimes feels like a room full of 12 year olds talking to adults and being taken seriously as though it were normal.


Let me get this straight. B2B suggests that fans's expectations are among the Steelers most daunting problems?? They going to hire a coach for this, too?

Gee...excuse us for wanting our team not to be outreached in every big game....to stand picking its ass while replays are being reviewed, to pitch wide on 4th & an inch to go with no QB sneak in the playbook....to not have practiced redzone plays with it's freakishly tall receiver, to go with an onside kick when you're sitting with 3 timeouts and two minutes left.


But he's never had a losing season.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3607
I still think they play not to lose and still, even with this supposed super offensive talent, still go to the turtle too soon with a small lead, and on the other hand, play too conservative early and wait until they fall way behind to play the way they should play from the start.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 6884
Nick79 wrote:
I still think they play not to lose and still, even with this supposed super offensive talent, still go to the turtle too soon with a small lead, and on the other hand, play too conservative early and wait until they fall way behind to play the way they should play from the start.

Did they do that with Arians as OC?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4306
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Pretty sure the turtle is organizationally endemic, going back to Cowher, but if someone is willing to pull stats, have at it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 10366
Ice wrote:
Pretty sure the turtle is organizationally endemic, going back to Cowher, but if someone is willing to pull stats, have at it.


I'd agree with this. It arguably still worked in the Cowher era, with fewer good QB's and less favoritism toward the offense (it's pretty shocking when you look at that transformation over just the past 10 years). But at the core is the mentality to win TOP, keeping your defense fresh and limiting turnovers and flipping field position, shorten the game. There is no conceptualization that less offensive risk = fewer points.

The most remarkable thing about NE (which I hate talking about them...because cheating and Ernie) is their offense can misfire nearly all game, but somehow string together 3 drives and score 21 points. They'll barely move the ball, and then suddenly march down the field like they can't be stopped.

I think when you handcuff players, you reduce opportunities and that leads to otherwise unecessary risk taking and pressing. You don't get to "live to fight another play" when you've reduced the margin of error such that you HAVE to have that play.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3607
Poltargyst wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
I still think they play not to lose and still, even with this supposed super offensive talent, still go to the turtle too soon with a small lead, and on the other hand, play too conservative early and wait until they fall way behind to play the way they should play from the start.

Did they do that with Arians as OC?


Yes, they've never fully embraced all out, balls to the wall, score, score, score, TD-TD-TD, never let up offense. NEVER.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4185
Nick79 wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
I still think they play not to lose and still, even with this supposed super offensive talent, still go to the turtle too soon with a small lead, and on the other hand, play too conservative early and wait until they fall way behind to play the way they should play from the start.

Did they do that with Arians as OC?


Yes, they've never fully embraced all out, balls to the wall, score, score, score, TD-TD-TD, never let up offense. NEVER.


I hate to admit that Nick is right on this


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1648
I talked about this in the Arians thread.

Under Arians I do think the Steeler offenses were more aggressive and got out to leads faster.

Here are some leads, 5 games out of the last 15 playoff games, which lead was credited to which offensive coordinator?

10-0
13-0
14-0
17-0
28-10

I will give you a hint, 4 of those 5 leads is credited to one offensive coordinator who has a better fashion sense and likes to wear hats. ;)

If anything back then under Arians they would pump the brakes and then go into turtle mode too quick, but at least they had the plan to score quick and build a lead in the first place. Now, now they don't even want the ball first they want to defer the kickoff like a bunch of pussies. That type of passive attitude is not conducive to building leads and getting out to a fast start, but what do I know?

_________________
We have got to come up with a better name for 'sub package defense'!! Any ideas?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group