It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:37 am 

from reading this thread...

A. are the Steelers good until they play someone at or above their level, or do they play down to their opponents and lose to bad teams?

B. Are they on the verge of 5 consecutive 10 win seasons for only the second time in team history AND YET their head coach sucks?

The Steelers have many problems to address, but the weird expectations of their fans are one of the most daunting.

The main problem the Steelers had last year is that they didn't quite win their last game and they didn't win a championship.

If they can figure out a way to be more responsible in the secondary, let the best DBs play... and get at least average play from whoever lines up at ILB... they could be as good or better than they were last year with Shazier (top 10). I think the changes they have been making are on the right track and they played pretty well until injuries started to pile up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:43 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
from reading this thread...

A. are the Steelers good until they play someone at or above their level, or do they play down to their opponents and lose to bad teams?

B. Are they on the verge of 5 consecutive 10 win seasons for only the second time in team history AND YET their head coach sucks?

The Steelers have many problems to address, but the weird expectations of their fans are one of the most daunting.

The main problem the Steelers had last year is that they didn't quite win their last game and they didn't win a championship.

If they can figure out a way to be more responsible in the secondary, let the best DBs play... and get at least average play from whoever lines up at ILB... they could be as good or better than they were last year with Shazier (top 10). I think the changes they have been making are on the right track and they played pretty well until injuries started to pile up.

I think you already know that the usual suspects are going to go with ‘B’ with the usual declaration that Ben walks on water and Tomlin is a hindrance to success.

I do have much less faith in Tomlin than I used to.

The communication issues in the secondary are abhorrent at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:45 pm 

All the above. Perhaps add into the scenario 'luck' regarding player health. If they're lucky all their playmakers stay healthy all season.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:58 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
The Steelers are good until they face teams that can play at their level or higher.

It's really no one team. Routinely outcoached against teams with similar talent levels.

Or QBed by Mike Glennon...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:00 pm 

B2B, I really like what I am hearing from the players in the secondary.

One of Wade Phillips greatest virtues, in whatever city he was coaching, was that he came in and simplified things for his secondary. I remember when he went down to Houston and got that Texans secondary to play fast, play aggressive and he did it by simplifying things in the secondary.

Why am I talking about Phillips? Because it seems like Tom Bradley has come in and got Butler/Tomlin to buy into the same exact thing Phillips does. I have read interviews with Brian Allen, Cam Sutton, Joe Haden and to a man they are talking about things slowing down, things being more clear, terminology being simplified, things being streamlined, players being put in position to play up to their speed, size, athletic ability, playmaking ability.

I never believed that Dick LeBeau's complicated bullshit put our players in the best position to succeed. I think all it did was neuter our players. Only the superhuman Polamalu's and Shaziers could overcome the shackles, the dead weight of his defense.

I actually have a real good feeling about our defense this year, I think the additions of Dunbar and Bradley is going to transform this defense for the better. I think more man to man press coverage is going to happen, if last season we were 88% zone, 12 % man, I think this season it could be 60 zone/40 man. And I think with Dunbar we could finally see more 4-3 looks and this has already been reported/talked about in OTAs. Obviously when training camp starts and the preseason games come we will see if this does come to fruition, but I am excited.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:12 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
The Steelers are good until they face teams that can play at their level or higher.

It's really no one team. Routinely outcoached against teams with similar talent levels.

Or QBed by Mike Glennon...

Or Blake Bortles.... :P

Rooting for the defense to be a lot improved Scunge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:54 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Seriously. There is much quality analysis on this site yet one has to sift through so much garbage to get it. It sometimes feels like a room full of 12 year olds talking to adults and being taken seriously as though it were normal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Seriously. There is much quality analysis on this site yet one has to sift through so much garbage to get it. It sometimes feels like a room full of 12 year olds talking to adults and being taken seriously as though it were normal.

What’s juvenile about wishing ball cancer on an Internet opponent?

8-)

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Let me get this straight. B2B suggests that fans's expectations are among the Steelers most daunting problems?? They going to hire a coach for this, too?

Gee...excuse us for wanting our team not to be outreached in every big game....to stand picking its ass while replays are being reviewed, to pitch wide on 4th & an inch to go with no QB sneak in the playbook....to not have practiced redzone plays with it's freakishly tall receiver, to go with an onside kick when you're sitting with 3 timeouts and two minutes left.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:13 pm 

Well SI may not know Steelers all too well. As they could go 13-3 as they have almost all winning seasons under coach Tomlin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next