It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SI has Steelers at 11-5 record
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

I hate to admit that Nick is right on this

Why do you hate to admit the truth, just because of who said it?

TRUTH IS TRUTH, even if Hitler, Bin Laden, Trump or Hillary say it :lol:

Unless of course it's FAKE NEWS :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:25 am 

Scunge wrote:
If anything back then under Arians they would pump the brakes and then go into turtle mode too quick, but at least they had the plan to score quick and build a lead in the first place. Now, now they don't even want the ball first they want to defer the kickoff like a bunch of pussies. That type of passive attitude is not conducive to building leads and getting out to a fast start, but what do I know?

They very often go TURTLE with a 10-14 point 3rd quarter lead, which to me is way too early and in the current NFL 14 points is NOTHING, that is proven by the Steelers themselves! How often do they open game fairly conservatively milking the clock and going 75 yards on 14 plays to get that precious FG, maybe even score a TD 1st, 3-0 or 7-0 and then halfway through the 2nd quarter, they're down 24-7 or 21-3 or something like that, so we have to go to the furious Ben centric pass offense to score quickly at the end of the half, then we are within striking distance to chase points the entire 2nd half, to finally win 34-31 on a last second FG. So why not open the game in an aggressive mode trying to score TDs as FAST AS POSSIBLE, and not worry about the clock or "shortening the game"? "Shortening the game" is good when you have Kordell and The Bus, Not the THREE Bs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am 

Scunge wrote:
I talked about this in the Arians thread.

Under Arians I do think the Steeler offenses were more aggressive and got out to leads faster.

Here are some leads, 5 games out of the last 15 playoff games, which lead was credited to which offensive coordinator?

10-0
13-0
14-0
17-0
28-10

I will give you a hint, 4 of those 5 leads is credited to one offensive coordinator who has a better fashion sense and likes to wear hats. ;)

If anything back then under Arians they would pump the brakes and then go into turtle mode too quick, but at least they had the plan to score quick and build a lead in the first place. Now, now they don't even want the ball first they want to defer the kickoff like a bunch of pussies. That type of passive attitude is not conducive to building leads and getting out to a fast start, but what do I know?

for some reason the Steelers seem to not find something that works and keep doing it until the other team stops it.

I do understand that they do not want to get too much on tape early in the season and they do set up plays with other plays

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:18 am 

Seems like they always have one major flaw that ends up biting them late in the season. Last year it was the interior front 7. Year before it was CB. Year before it was OLB pressure. Year before it was no depth at RB.

It’s true you can’t go into every season in perfect shape but I see a trend of overlooking something then trying to patch it in the off-season which is playing catch-up.

I see 11 wins easy and probably 1-2 more. That’s really good in the big picture. Question to tomlin will be what if anything will fall apart in mid January?

If they’re able major flaws from being exposed I like our post season chances.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:46 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

I hate to admit that Nick is right on this

Why do you hate to admit the truth, just because of who said it?

TRUTH IS TRUTH, even if Hitler, Bin Laden, Trump or Hillary say it :lol:

Unless of course it's FAKE NEWS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Because of your over the top style and presentation, people tend to tune you out and you lose credibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Steelers have many problems to address, but the weird expectations of their fans are one of the most daunting.
Seriously. There is much quality analysis on this site yet one has to sift through so much garbage to get it. It sometimes feels like a room full of 12 year olds talking to adults and being taken seriously as though it were normal.

Let me get this straight. B2B suggests that fans's expectations are among the Steelers most daunting problems?? They going to hire a coach for this, too?

Gee...excuse us for wanting our team not to be outreached in every big game....to stand picking its ass while replays are being reviewed, to pitch wide on 4th & an inch to go with no QB sneak in the playbook....to not have practiced redzone plays with it's freakishly tall receiver, to go with an onside kick when you're sitting with 3 timeouts and two minutes left.

My expectations are far lower now than when Tomlin took over. I now expect his team to lose to Belichick every time. I now expect his team to find a way to lose in the playoffs. I now expect one of two of the players on his team to do something stupid like go on Facebook Live in the locker room after a game or go cruising around Pittsburgh and get arrested for possession. I now expect clock management to be shit. I now expect Tomlin to put the game on the line so that one of his players can continue some sort of personal stat streak. Maybe B2B is right. Those expectations are weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
I still think they play not to lose and still, even with this supposed super offensive talent, still go to the turtle too soon with a small lead, and on the other hand, play too conservative early and wait until they fall way behind to play the way they should play from the start.

I've been saying all along that there's not a dime's bit of difference between Cowher and Tomlin. Yet some here who eviscerated Cowher on the old site can't get enough of cockgobbling Tomlin now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
I still think they play not to lose and still, even with this supposed super offensive talent, still go to the turtle too soon with a small lead, and on the other hand, play too conservative early and wait until they fall way behind to play the way they should play from the start.

I've been saying all along that there's not a dime's bit of difference between Cowher and Tomlin. Yet some here who eviscerated Cowher on the old site can't get enough of cockgobbling Tomlin now.

I do agree, Ben has put up great numbers, never before seen on a Steelers team, 32 TD passes a couple times, as many as 4900 yards passing. But look at Brees or Brady or Manning career stats, even Rivers, and tell me that Ben couldn't have put up a few 5000 yard or 40+ TD seasons if he was ever truly cut loose?