It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dupy says he can deliver double digit sacks this season
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 am 

Agree. Laughed out loud after reading the article. The whole pff thing is so ridiculous. Why I posted that. To me it means Dupree actually was better than claimed. Apparently, sports fans really buy into their rankings and horseshit stats. Was a little surprised to see the gazette supporting their garbage. I did however enjoy the video snips of the Steelers making the top 100. That too is a bit of a popularity contest. Anyway, slow offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:39 am 

PFF has an amazing marketing/branding team and media presence. Out of this world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 pm 

what make hem think playing against the left tackle this year will increase his sack total ? and i don't think he has 10 career sacks going into this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
what make hem think playing against the left tackle this year will increase his sack total ? and i don't think he has 10 career sacks going into this season.

He has 14.5 in 24 games. I had to look to make sure that was right.

Jarvis Jones had 5 in his first 24 games, 6 total in his career.

As for the left tackle thing, Dupree is a power rusher and should be a difficult matchup for many LTs, who usually have a more finesse game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 pm 

I think to be really accurate Bud has 14.5 sacks in 38 games played. His rookie year he is only credited with 5 games started but was active for all 16 games. Woodley had what, some 60-ish snaps as a rookie but Bud Dupree had something like 570 snaps? Dupree was for all intents and purposes a starter as a rookie.

Saying he has 14.5 sacks in just 24 games is misleading. To me he has played in 44 games (counting playoffs) and he has 15 sacks. So, 1 sack for every 3 games played. That is not good enough. You spend a 1st rounder on an OLB so he can give you 5 sacks a year?

Also, when you look at the passes defensed, he is only credited with 3? 38 games played and you have only 3 passes defensed and 0 INTs? :cry:

TJ Watt playing that ROLB spot, he had 7 passes defensed and 1 INT in 15 games, as a rookie. Watt moving to that LOLB position is just the perfect move to make. Watt can do anything and play any of the linebacker positions. He has the size, length, smarts, and work ethic and desire to be a great football player, period. I can see Watt having 10 sacks this year at LOLB and also be double digits in passes defensed and end up with 3 or 4 INTs all while playing the run pretty well.

Last edited by Scunge on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:01 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

He has 14.5 in 24 games. I had to look to make sure that was right.

Jarvis Jones had 5 in his first 24 games, 6 total in his career.

As for the left tackle thing, Dupree is a power rusher and should be a difficult matchup for many LTs, who usually have a more finesse game.

I guess we will see what happens with DUD but i hope i am wrong because him having a big sack season will only help the team.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 pm 

Quite frankly, I think them moving Dupree out from LOLB has just as much to do with his poor play against the run too.

Here is a game, which LOLB had which tackle per game average? Match the Steeler LOLB with the tackle per game avg.

Kevin Greene
Jason Gildon
Clark Haggans
Lamar Woodley
Bud Dupree

(1) 3.97 tackles per game
(2) 3.83
(3) 3.82
(4) 3.52
(5) 2.36

There is a second part to the game. Match the LOLB with what I call splash plays, ballhawking plays, an INT, a Forced Fumble, a Fumble recovery. It isn't all about sacks, your LOLB should be generating turnovers, always be around the ball.

(6) 23 combined INTs, FF, FR
(7) 22
(8) 13
(9) 12
(10) 2

Bud Dupree fans are going to be sorely disappointed if they choose to play this game. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:34 pm 

Dupree is a lot more suited to chasing run plays from the backside, plus he was playing with one leg for a year and one arm for another.

Let's wait and see what happens in 2018 before we go crowing his ass OR writing him off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:06 pm 

I am not waiting for anything, this year is his make it or break it year. He either shows up and plays well or he is gone in 2019, they cut him and use that $9.5 million elsewhere.

In terms of my game, yes, it is Bud Dupree who has the lowest tackles per game total at 2.36. It is Bud Dupree who has a whopping two splash plays, 1 FF, and 1 FR in 38 games played.

What I wouldn't give to have Bud play like Clark Haggans, a lowly 5th round pick, who ran a 5.01 40, had a lowly 31.5 vertical, and only did 20 reps. Haggans was the anti-Bud Dupree, looked, and tested like Jane at the combine but played like Tarzan.

Haggans played 4 years at that LOLB position. This is what he did in 57 games, 25 sacks, 230 tackles, 8 passes defensed, 1 INT, 8 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries. He also had 3.5 sacks in the playoffs during that time.

Bud Dupree, if he stayed at LOLB this season would need to have 10.5 sacks, 140 tackles, 5 passes defensed, 1 INT, 7 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries and have 3 sacks in the playoffs JUST to match what Haggans did after 4 years.

By nearly every measure that you can look at, Dupree has fallen short of Haggans, Woodley, Gildon, and Greene.

What bothers me the most about Dupree is that too often he is a 'spectator', he is watching his teammates make a play and is not a participant. He has 3 games where he is not credited with a tackle or an assist, (0,0). How the hell does that happen? He has another 5 games where he is not credited with a tackle only an assist, (0,1). Again, how does that happen? How can you not be part of the action at LOLB? Those 8 games I mentioned the Steelers could have saved some money and put out an orange pylon in place of Dupree. I mean an orange pylon can accomplish the same 0 tackles, and maybe if the ball carrier, runner trips over the pylon it could get credit for a tackle :lol:

It is like Dupree is invisible out there for long stretches. Not getting sacks, not getting an INT, or a forced fumble, or a fumble recovery, not tipping a pass, and even not making a tackle, or even getting an assist on a tackle. It really is amazing to me, to have athleticism, speed and power that Clark Haggans could only dream of and yet play so poorly. The instincts just aren't there, sometimes you either have it or your don't and I fear Dupree falls into that latter category.

But yeah, I am all for moving him to ROLB and seeing if that helps him, what else can they do at this point?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:46 am 

Barring a major injury. the Steelers could still cut Dupy next year and save 10m. Tomlin told him to pick it up as a veteran player and also show some leadership qualities. It now or never.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next