It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dupy says he can deliver double digit sacks this season
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm 

Cam is the only guy on the roster I trust to get a push when it matters most.

You're up four, the opponent is driving, chaos on the field, everybody is holding, and Deebo, time and time again, blows the play up - by himself. Count the W.

How many wins did Deebo seal with a final drive pressure or a sack (usually a strip-sack)? A dozen? Twenty?

Deebo's late game heroics is a lot of the reason Tomlin still has a job.

That's the guy we need Dupree to be sometimes. He has ALL the gifts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 pm 

Ask Cam who his clothier is and then fire Them... WTF? Pajamas? Sweats? :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:

I'm guessing Lit admires his wardrobe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm 

Cam's outfit begs the question....what the fuck kind of bet did he lose? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:18 am 

I hate to say it, but those that think Dupree will have a big year are engaging in nothing more than blind faith. There is nothing to indicate that Dupree will all of a sudden develop better bend, start to use his hands, develop countermoves, or play with a better motor. Those are all his weaknesses along with being fragile and easily hurt.

At this point, he's a serviceable OLB and nothing more. Comparing him to Joey Porter or Gildon for that matter is heresy. He's not even close to Jason Worilds before he became a missionary.

I've watched him for 3 years. I honestly remember him beating a RT soundly with good hand technique and bend ONCE. It was against Cam Erving on the Browns....and he sucks.

Put the pass rush aside for a second. Go rewatch his run defense versus Baltimore and Jacksonville last year. (I know I know the whole D sucked.) But, when he wasn't getting ragdolled or pancaked by a TE, he was taking terrible angles or just quitting on plays. It's downright depressing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:33 pm 

franco32 wrote:
I hate to say it, but those that think Dupree will have a big year are engaging in nothing more than blind faith. There is nothing to indicate that Dupree will all of a sudden develop better bend, start to use his hands, develop countermoves, or play with a better motor. Those are all his weaknesses along with being fragile and easily hurt.

At this point, he's a serviceable OLB and nothing more. Comparing him to Joey Porter or Gildon for that matter is heresy. He's not even close to Jason Worilds before he became a missionary.

I've watched him for 3 years. I honestly remember him beating a RT soundly with good hand technique and bend ONCE. It was against Cam Erving on the Browns....and he sucks.

Put the pass rush aside for a second. Go rewatch his run defense versus Baltimore and Jacksonville last year. (I know I know the whole D sucked.) But, when he wasn't getting ragdolled or pancaked by a TE, he was taking terrible angles or just quitting on plays. It's downright depressing.

Since 2003, every 3-4 edge rusher with elite athletic profile of either mass-adjusted explosion or sub 7 3 cone and good straightline to shuttle ratio (i.e.: the two low risk groups of Waldo) has had at least one 10 sack season in the NFL, unless they got a career ending injury in first contract or got popped for steroids. So, not blind faith, just an educated guess that he'll get to double digits if he rushes enough, strictly on athleticism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm 

DP39 wrote:

This is exactly what I thought. LoL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 pm 

I think this move to the right side will not be fortunate for the Steelers. Color me skeptical. The guy barely was able to pressure from the left side [weak side] and that somehow indicates he's going to suddenly get it and mash LT's on his way to double digit sacks? I think we have a better chance at winning the lottery folks. I'll be happy to eat crow but I just am not convinced Dupree is anything other than a wash out. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 am 

He's more likely to be delivering a pizza than double digit sacks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:01 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
DP39 wrote:

This is exactly what I thought. LoL

That's the outfit from My Cousin Vinny. Marisa Tomei rocked it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
He's more likely to be delivering a pizza than double digit sacks

Coffee all over the IPad... :lol: :lol: 8-)

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I'm guessing Lit admires his wardrobe.

It pains me that you have learned so little from the sartorial conversations in the general forum. If you’re going to wear a track suit, it has to be Fred Perry. Bill Murray demonstrates the look nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:32 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I think this move to the right side will not be fortunate for the Steelers. Color me skeptical. The guy barely was able to pressure from the left side [weak side] and that somehow indicates he's going to suddenly get it and mash LT's on his way to double digit sacks? I think we have a better chance at winning the lottery folks. I'll be happy to eat crow but I just am not convinced Dupree is anything other than a wash out. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

he had 6 sacks and many more opportunities for sacks... in what world is that "was barely able to pressure".

You might want to step back and look at the context of the Steelers history in 3-4 since Cowher.

In 2017, Dupree finished as the second best OLB on the team with 6 sacks.

Since Cowher got here, 6 sacks by an OLB would have been:

Fewer sacks than the 2nd best OLB in 9 seasons.
The same or better than the 2nd best OLB in 10 seasons.
The best by an OLB in 5 seasons.

Maybe I'm crazy but, to me, in terms of sacks, that profiles Dupree as a decent #2... maybe a little better than that (keep in mind that in several of those years, there were two all-pros at OLB). Considering he got more opportunities than sacks and could theoretically get better results than last year, I certainly don't think it's appropriate to label him a bust as a pass rusher.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 pm 

As a Royal Tannenbaums fan, I'm partial to the Adidas jumpsuit. Red for daily wear, and black for funerals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm 

B2B,

I get your deference to stat based analysis. I think it has its purpose and can be a useful tool. It can also build an evaluator if it is too heavily relied on.

His athleticism is shorts is elite. No one argues that. The problem is on film I don't see that. There is nothing on tape to me that would indicate he is a 10+ sack guy. He has terrible bend, really poor hand fighting, no countermoves, and frankly I've never even been impressed with his first step for such an "elite" athlete.

Even you have to be a bit disappointed when you watch him on film, no? Again, I would expect more from my 1st rounder...but that is just me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:32 pm 

I think you're hoping your average 1st round pick is an above average starter, baseline. I think Dupree is right around an average starter to this point of his career, and he's really only started about a season and a half. Has 14.5 sacks with 24 career starts. Even without getting any better in terms of technique, he can run himself into 2-3 more sacks a year than he had in an admittedly down year last year... that would be 8 or 9.

Personally, watching him last two years... was playing injured. First the groin and then last year the shoulder. I think his health is the biggest problem so far. He's heading into contract year 3 and has barely had any games at 100%. I see him hit that sled at the beginning of the offseason program and he explodes into it with far more force than the other edge guys on this team. To me, that's the healthy version we so rarely get to see.

Put that together with it typically taking 2-3 years of starting for outlier athlete guys to hit their pass-rushing stride, and he could easily elevate past the last couple years of Jason Worilds status. Worilds last two years were pretty good, even though the sack numbers weren't wow. He started 2-3-5, and then finished with 8 & 7.5. We would have been happy to have Worilds back for a 6th year, and I think Dupree has inarguably been better than Worilds through 3 years, even with all his problems.

Dupree isn't going to win with bend around the corner-- he's an explosion guy who will win with power and speed. It's a mistake to expect him to come around the corner 6 inches off the ground. This is why I agree with the coaches that he's a better fit off the right side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:14 pm 

All those stats and Dupree is the second best OLB in how many years? Either that's just embarrassing or coaching combined with top draft pick talent are far under-achieving. Dupree takes horrible angles, has terrible hand fighting techniques, can't shed blocks from TE's let alone OT's and ultimately stops playing like he's given up. I've seen him just standing there in the midst of the play watching it unfold. Watching! Not trying to contribute. Watching! I can't explain that in stats but I think you know what I'm talking about B2B. No sarca intended. Every Steelers fan has seen Dupree shit the bed in many situations where had he kept playing with better technique, took better angles or just not given up he would have made a difference; a more positive difference. Color me Skeptical.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:13 pm 

If Dupree isn't going to win with bend and he's not going to win with his hands...then yes...all he has left is speed and power. The problem is I have yet to see an effective bull rush from him. As for speed, I still don't see him being fast enough to get around NFL tackles. Straight line speed is pretty meaningless when you have to come off the edge and turn the corner.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. But, he's now going to be facing even better athletes than he was at LOLB. That doesn't bode well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:32 pm 

I never liked the Dupree pick. Said at the time that they were forcing the issue, just like they forced the issue with Jarvis Jones, reaching in both instances. I am so glad that they didn't just blindly reach and force the issue with the ILB position this past draft. I was still half expecting them to nab Malik Jefferson with the first round pick, to just force the issue and reach to fill that ILB position. The two players that I wanted at OLB the year Bud was drafted were Frank Clark and not Shane Ray but his teammate Markus Golden. They were both taken at the end of the 2nd round and they have each already had double digit sack seasons.

Back to Dupree, I am not going to trash a player, or any pass rusher because they have no bend. There are successful pass rushers that do not have bend, that do get by with power, or speed, or technique and hustle. What I see as a problem for Dupree on the left side is that he has too much on his plate and is thinking too much. It slows him down and negates his gifts. Typically on the right side many defenses will have their pass rushers with less to worry about.

Also, it should not be underestimated that sometimes in our 3-4 defense, the synergy that exists with the DE that is lined up in front of the OLB. Having Dupree on the right side with Cam Heyward at RDE is the best possible grouping for Bud most likely.

Of course he has to stay healthy too. I would like to see them be more creative with Dupree as well. Yes, there are some issues with having players lined up wide and giving up big runs, but a 'Wide Nine' in some obvious passing situations is commonly used throughout the NFL. With Dupree's speed, he can cover the extra ground lining up wide. With his size he can be used inside as an interior rusher at times, can be lined up in a number of ways. One of the things that I always hated about LeBeau's 3-4 OLBs is that they are easy to prepare for, each player usually lines up at their normal right or left and there was little deviation throughout the game.

This is for all intents and purposes a contract year for Dupree. Do well and he cashes in with a new contract, do poorly and the Steelers probably cut him and save themselves $9.5 million. There are many players that go through this crucible type of situation and finally realize their potential. I do hope that Dupree finally steps up but I have my doubts like everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:03 am 

Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:
Ice wrote:
Porter may have fallen out of favor as a coach, but he was a pretty damn good olb on this team, and definitely a leader and tone setter on a team that won Lombardi number 5. Comparing him to a first round bust is recently biased and kind of insulting to the player.

Who fills that role as tone setter now? it was Deebo and JPeezy and Lloyd before that. I think the job is open.

Mr. Watt, your time has come.

Doopee, with luck, might ride in his wake, but that's about as much as can be expected at this point...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:
Ice wrote:
Porter may have fallen out of favor as a coach, but he was a pretty damn good olb on this team, and definitely a leader and tone setter on a team that won Lombardi number 5. Comparing him to a first round bust is recently biased and kind of insulting to the player.

Who fills that role as tone setter now? it was Deebo and JPeezy and Lloyd before that. I think the job is open.

Doopee, with luck, might ride in his wake, but that's about as much as can be expected at this point...

Well, that's too bad, because Watt really fell off the table last year in terms of pass rushing. He's just as much a question mark in that area as Dupree. Watt has been outstanding in coverage, though. Could we see Watt at Mack on some first downs or in dime?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm 

.... may have fallen out of favor as a coach, but he was a pretty damn good olb on this team, and definitely a leader and tone setter on a team that won Lombardi number 5. Comparing him to a first round bust is recently biased and kind of insulting to the player.[/quote]

Who fills that role as tone setter now? it was Deebo and JPeezy and Lloyd before that. I think the job is open.[/quote]

Doopee, with luck, might ride in his wake, but that's about as much as can be expected at this point...[/quote]
Well, that's too bad, because Watt really fell off the table last year in terms of pass rushing. He's just as much a question mark in that area as Dupree. Watt has been outstanding in coverage, though. Could we see Watt at Mack on some first downs or in dime?[/quote]

B2B: was wondering yours and ithers’ Opinion on Watt. Dupree switching sides? Good thing. Fit either player better? Wait and see at this point?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 pm 

B2B: was wondering yours and ithers’ Opinion on Watt. Dupree switching sides? Good thing. Fit either player better? Wait and see at this point?

I'm in favor, for the moment, because I've thought from the beginning that Dupree a better fit on on defensive right side and I think it will also mean more man coverage (Watt on some TEs).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I'm in favor, for the moment, because I've thought from the beginning that Dupree a better fit on left side and I think it will also mean more man coverage (Watt on some TEs).

You mean right side?

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
.... may have fallen out of favor as a coach, but he was a pretty damn good olb on this team, and definitely a leader and tone setter on a team that won Lombardi number 5. Comparing him to a first round bust is recently biased and kind of insulting to the player.

Doopee, with luck, might ride in his wake, but that's about as much as can be expected at this point...[/quote]
Well, that's too bad, because Watt really fell off the table last year in terms of pass rushing. He's just as much a question mark in that area as Dupree. Watt has been outstanding in coverage, though. Could we see Watt at Mack on some first downs or in dime?[/quote

B2B: was wondering yours and ithers’ Opinion on Watt. Dupree switching sides? Good thing. Fit either player better? Wait and see at this point?[/quote]
I'm in favor, for the moment, because I've thought from the beginning that Dupree a better fit on defensive right side and I think it will also mean more man coverage (Watt on some TEs).[/quote]

Ok. Right on man. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next