It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Switching to 4/3 base defense
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am 

Quote:
Listen, nobody has to agree with me, this is a board and we all express our opinions. This is mine. Our offense has been more disappointing than the defense, they take most of the blame these past 9 playoff games. The offense has to play better, has to score 30 or more points a game, not give up cheap TDs, get out to leads faster. If that happens everything else takes care of itself.
I agree with you. But this topic is like a political thread. There doesn't seem to be middle ground or acceptance that two concepts can coexist at the same time.

No doubt the defense was a turnstile, but until they had their backs against the wall, the offense wasn't exactly humming. Everything was desperation, not a well oiled machine. Luck played a role as well, but the defense had zero luck. Cannot deny those 14 pts BR gave them, but we also don't know if the D would have given them up anyway. Shit is what it was. Team effort, team loss.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm 

Today’s NFL sucks, but so does the Steelers defense.

Maybe Ben has zero faith in this defense and feels like he has to take chances to out score every team especially in the post season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:29 pm 

You can't look at either offense or defense in a vacuum-- they work together, succeed together, fail together.

What the defense is doing sets the tone for how the offense plays and vice-versa. The style of the game and how it plays out has its roots in what offense, defense, and special teams (and coaching thereof) are doing/gameplanned.

I think you have to look at the performances holistically: mistakes can be found in every layer of this game. Which ones were important? Which ones were ultimately fatal?

You can successfully argue that the offense's early mistakes made the patient sick, which then affected the pressure on the D to not just stop the other team in the normal attrition style but to attempt to shut them down, so that the offense would have a chance to catch up.

There was a point in the game (early second half) where the patient reached an equilibrium: offense caught up to within one score, defense stopped the other team a couple of times... the game became a game again.

If I had to pinpoint what went (ultimately, fatally) wrong at that point, it would be:

A. sudden shift to conservative play-calling (Haley? Tomlin? Ben?)
B. failure of OL/All-Pro RB to make 1st downs when running into stacked boxes (OL? LB? Ben?)
C. refusal to call QB sneak (Haley? Tomlin? AR2? Ben? Ben's wife?)
D. missed holding/DPI call on 4th down throw that otherwise was perfectly executed (NFL)

E. That led to a defensive series where the dam finally broke on a short-handed defense, devoid of its best playmaker, with 3 front 7 players playing with significant injuries, and saddled with 5 DBs who had costly mental mistakes or physical limitations throughout the year. (Entire defense? Burns? Mitchell? Safeties? Run defense? DL? Bud? Coaching?)

ABCD again made the patient critical, E was official cause of death.