It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Adams?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:12 pm 

Quote:
MIKE ADAMS ATTEMPTING NFL COMEBACK... AT TIGHT END

Even the most dedicated Ohio State fan may not recognize former offensive lineman Mike Adams walking down High Street. Adams stepped away from the NFL after the 2016 season due to several injuries that had stalled his career.

Adams left the Chicago Bears and went to work getting his body right. After playing at a weight of around 323 pounds, Adams told The Rivalry podcast he's down to 255 and is attempting a comeback as a tight end. He certainly looks the part:

"I want to give it another shot and get after it," Adams said. "I love the game. It's what I want to do. It's who I am." He also noted he's still "extremely athletic."

Adams is training with Tim Cortazo, a former Toledo wide receiver who now owns FSQ Sports in Pittsburgh. He coached Adams' former teammate, Terrelle Pryor, when he made the switch from quarterback to receiver.

If he is successful, Adams says he'd be the first NFL offensive lineman to make a comeback at a skill position.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -tight-end
:shock: Good Luck Mike.

Post subject: Re: Mike Adams?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm 

Abject failure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:52 pm 

At the least you’d have to think he’d be above average to one of the better blocking TEs around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:12 pm 

I’d sign him to vet minimum and see what the guy has, anyone know if he would still be practice squad eligible?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm 

needs to start living inside the squat rack......c'mon, dude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:25 am 

Kodiak wrote:
needs to start living inside the squat rack......c'mon, dude

Agree - tooth picks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:36 am 

It’s unlikely he gets a job as a TE, although I support his efforts in trying. He will be significantly healthier not carrying around an extra 70 pounds of mostly fat. A similar body transformation to Alan Faneca after he retired. A big part of being an NFL lineman is professional over-eating to maintain over 300 pounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am 

Anybody know what Casey looks like now? I always thought that guy would be in trouble once he didn't have to work out anymore. Kudos to Mike Adams. That transformation didn't happen without a lot of work.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am 

Dunno, but ...

Quote:
CASEY HAMPTON ON NOSE TACKLES: “WHAT I DID ALMOST EXTINCT NOW”
Clark Judge CLARK JUDGE 2 MONTHS AGO 1.3K VIEWS

Casey Hampton was one of the best defensive tackles in Pittsburgh Steelers’ history, and not because of what he was as a pass rusher … because he wasn’t. Nope, he was strictly a two-gap nose tackle who disrupted play inside, occupied blockers and allowed linebackers to make tackles.

Sound familiar? Not to Hampton it doesn’t.

“Nobody plays the true nose-tackle position like I played it,” Hampton said on the latest Talk of Fame Network broadcast, “because the game has changed so much. I mean, I was like a two-gapper all the time. That’s what I did. And I don’t think guys really do that anymore.

“I think it’s more up-the-field and get-to-the quarterback because it’s such a passing league now. So I think what I did is almost entirely extinct now. It’s still the nose-tackle position, but it’s entirely different the way they play it now.”

It was also entirely different from how Hampton played at the University of Texas, too, because he wasn’t in a 3-4 scheme. He was in a 4-3, and he played alongside defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, who would go on to become a Pro Bowler with the Detroit Lions.

But that’s not all. At Texas, Hampton led the team in tackles for two seasons and piled up stats he did not … and could not … at Pittsburgh. Reason: The scheme, the position and the expectations were entirely different.

“It was definitely a tough adjustment at first,” said Hampton. “Coming from the University of Texas … you know my last couple of seasons there leading the team in tackles … then going to Pittsburgh and pretty much trying to keep the linebackers clean and being disruptive when you can.

“It was a huge adjustment, and it was something I never had to do before. But it was something I ended up taking a lot of pride in. I had a lot of great linebackers that played behind me, and it was just fun to see those guys go there out and make plays. That’s pretty much what I got my joy out of — watching those guys do their thing and watching our defense be successful.”

But it wasn’t just the defense. It was almost everyone connected to the Steelers who was successful. During Hampton’s tenure there, Pittsburgh won six division championships, went to three Super Bowls in six years, won two of them, and was among the top defenses in the NFL. And Hampton was a major factor — named to five Pro Bowls and, later, to the Steelers’ all-time team.

But that doesn’t mean going from college to the pro was easy. Because it wasn’t. As Hampton pointed out, it was “a huge adjustment,” and he wasn’t talking about the weather. He was talking about learning an unfamiliar position.

“It took awhile,” he said, “Probably took into my second year to realize every play isn’t for me to make and I’m not supposed to be out there making plays; just playing within the defense.

“It’s tough, man, when you’re used to making plays and getting up the field, and you’re pretty good at it … and they ask you to do something entirely different. But you’ve just got to be unselfish and see the bigger picture.”

http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/casey-hampton-nose-tackles-almost-extinct-now/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 pm 

Awesome post Slobber. Thanks for posting. A lot of Steeler fans want a nose like Big Snack in today's NFL. I think this article/interview should dispel any notion of it ever being mentioned again. The days of Big Snack type Nose tackles went off with him in the sunset when he retired.