It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Injuries Cropping Up
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm 

This is even before much contact. Jerald Hawkins T out with knee injury and TE Jake McGee hobbled off on one foot. Hope this isn't the start of the injury bug and they recover quickly.

Post subject: Re: Injuries Cropping Up
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm 

Word is it might be a serious knee issue for Hawkins.....

Jerald Hawkins - T - Steelers
Steelers second-year OT Jerald Hawkins suffered a potentially-serious knee injury in Wednesday's OTA practice.

"You never want to see something like that," said RG Ramon Foster of Hawkins' injury. Word is Hawkins went down "screaming" in pain during a drill. Hawkins was expected to be the Steelers' swing tackle this season.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter May 30 - 1:24 PM

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:33 pm 

Munch needs to get Chuks ready to swing!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 pm 

Jake McGee - TE - Steelers
Steelers TE Jake McGee suffered a torn Achilles' in Wednesday's OTA practice and will miss the season.

The former Chargers tight end was competing for one of the final roster spots.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter May 30 - 2:19 PM

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm 

Tough break. He was competing for the #3 tight end spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm 

You never want to see injuries but in both instances I think both players had a real hard chance to no chance of making the team. Hawkins was always a weird prospect, his body type, the narrow frame, the skinny waist, no power or base, just thought he was always a neither fish nor fowl type of prospect, neither a tackle or guard, where does he play? McGee, really a blocker only type, special teamer, probably not going to push for that #3 TE spot, I think they want that 3rd TE to have some receiving ability.

I think the drafting of Chuks was also due in part to how they felt about Hawkins. Sometimes draft picks don't work out and you know pretty early on even with the injuries. Feiler I felt had overtaken him on the depth chart last season.

Also, if they really feel like Finney is ready to take Foster's spot in 2019, then who is going to be the backup center to Pouncey? Finney can't play both spots at the same time if Pouncey went down. This year they may be looking to find that next backup C, maybe somebody like Patrick Morris? I think Hawkins was going to have a hard time making the team even without the injuries.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2365 ... quadriceps

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm 

I thought Hawkins' days were numbered. Perhaps this is the only way he can retain a roster spot? Do they know what kind of injury to the knee and how long he's out? I think this new kid Okorafor although still raw has a better chance [especially] now that Hakins is out. I also like the Mossis kid too. The thing about Okorafor is he's just 20 yrs old. I also see Feiler making the roster [especially] now that Hawkins is out. I like RJ Prince too.

Quote:
@JFowlerESPN
Steelers OT Jerald Hawkins suffered a torn quad in Wednesday’s team workout, per source. Backup left tackle is an Injured Reserve candidate. Was a big offseason for him. https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/ ... 2576593922

Jerald Hawkins, likely replacement for Chris Hubbard, suffers knee injury http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1805300293
In everything else I've read it was stated Hawkins grabbed his knee. Hmmm....

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 pm 

Torn Quad being reported tough break

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:01 am 

Who's left out there as a possible experienced free agent to bring in?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:56 am 

Not that they really need to sign anyone or have the cap to sign anyone....My list of candidates
Remember these guys are still FA's for a reason.
Greg Robinson
Crockett Gillmore
Michael Ola
Byron Bell
Brian Schwenke
Ulrick John
Luke Joeckel
Cornelius Lucas
Darrell Williams
Cyrus Kouandjio

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:23 pm 

Some really high draft picks on that list. Goes to show QB isn't the only way to set your team back in the draft.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:04 pm 

Steelers also have Jake Rodgers T/G from last years practice squad available who could make the 53 as a swing lineman.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:11 pm 

Ju Ju and Cam are also being held out of on field activities with minor injuries.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:29 pm 

Luke Jockel But I think they like Rodgers and will go into mini camp as is

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:39 am 

Out of those OLinemen... I think only a few can actually play well enough to start and backup. Robinson and Joeckel were over drafted and have not panned out in their careers. Both have been moved inside from tackle and just haven't seemed to find their groove. Schwenke would be my first choice inside. Gilmore packed on 40 pounds to play tackle and hasn't really developed. Perhaps with Munchak [OLineman whisperer] Gilmore could develop into a solid swing OT?

If I recall Rodgers was taken either from waivers or off the practice squad and signed to the Texans roster last season. Rodgers has potential I agree. If there has to be injuries this early I'm ok with them coming at OLine and TE. Those two positions and the specific two players that have been injured aren't exactly going to break the team. That said, there's still plenty of time for others to step in and up. Meaning more reps for the younger [newer] guys like Okorafor, Prince, Cheek, Graham as well as the backup guys with experience like Rodgers, Feiler. Gets them acquainted with next man up scenario and allows the staff a better evaluation. JMO

Side Note: Some early FA's I find intriguing.

DLine Jalen Wilkerson 22 yrs old.
DLine Lord Hyeamang 21 yrs old.
LB Jimmie Gilbert 21 yrs old.
S/ILB Mason McKendrick 22 yrs old.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:35 pm 

Hawkins on IR after quad operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:21 pm 

I guess I'm despicably evil and immature but I could watch this shit all day. :lol:
Quote:
@SchroederWBAY
Packers LB Clay Matthews takes a liner off the face pitching in the charity softball game at Fox Cities Stadium. Immediately left the field. Hope he's ok @WBAY https://twitter.com/SchroederWBAY/statu ... 8808105985
Could happen to anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I guess I'm despicably evil and immature but I could watch this shit all day. :lol:
Quote:
@SchroederWBAY
Packers LB Clay Matthews takes a liner off the face pitching in the charity softball game at Fox Cities Stadium. Immediately left the field. Hope he's ok @WBAY https://twitter.com/SchroederWBAY/statu ... 8808105985
Could happen to anyone.

So, after Matthews got hit in the face, they brought out a batting practice screen and then Kentrell Brice (on Matthews' team) half bunted the ball–looked like on purpose–in a place where the pitcher had to go around the screen to make a play, which he couldn't do in time, and then the pitcher threw the ball away down the RF line.

I just had to admire the quick-thinking of the guy who bunted in front of the screen.