It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cohesion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:06 am 

Being absent sends a bad message to the other players especially if your getting paid 20M to do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 am 

Steelergenie wrote:
Being absent sends a bad message to the other players especially if your getting paid 20M to do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:15 am 

I'm a huge believer in constant reps and practice to get timing down and avoid miscommunication. Certainly our secondary needs the OTAs.

That said...Decastro basically said the other day he's "half asleep" during OTAs. In other words, he knows all the stuff. Basically it is for the young guys mostly. So, I'm not that overly concerned right now. I will say this though....#3 receiver is huge in the NFL and Ben and Washington should be working out constantly to get their timing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 am 

Ice wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I will just say if you really want to win you're at practices. Every and All practices regardless of status. Not killing yourself, simply acclimating yourself with the new recruits and familiarising yourself with the physical activities ie football shape, continuity, comradery etc... Team Building Activities.

I agree up until I read that Tom Brady spent his in Monaco.

No offense to you Ice. Love your discussions here at SF. Not intended to be a personal attack. FUCK Tom Brady!! I care about Ben Roethlisberger. Not Bitch Brady. I care about this team being better than one and done in the postseason. I care about this team mowing down, taking down who's ever in their way despite their opponent's standing on the way to another Lombardi.

Too often folks create excuses to rationalize lackadaisical stupidity. Ben is lazy. AB is lazy. Bell is lazy. Anyone skipping practices without a plausible excuse, illness, injury etc... is SOFT! I'll be chastised for My Opinion and don't mind. I Am of the opinion these guys have a selfish sense of entitlement that's manufactured a lackadaisical even complacent attitude towards their responsibilities because of who they are within the scheme of things. Is that really fair to the other teammates? The Fans? I don't care if you're running routes in Florida on the beach in your offseason or working on your golf swing these activities aren't "Team Building" IMHO. That to me is not establishing the "team building" that should be set by example. Practicing with your teammates is 'team building'.

I completely understand OTA's Are Voluntary. So is being paid millions for playing a sport. My point? Sooner than later you have all the self entitled players saying, 'I've done this in my sleep and know it better than the back of my hand so I can afford to skip it.' SOFT! That's what I see. You are only as good as you want to be. Skipping practices becomes a slippery slope. You want to be lazy? It'll rear its ugly head later in the season. Then we'll have to hear about the shallow Lamentations of..., Man, I should have been there in those practices. We would have been able to overcome that challenge had we been on the same page more often. /rant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:17 pm 

Steelers underachieving is on Tomlin. Looking past the Jags game and allowing players to skip OTAs shows a lack of leadership. They keep repeating the same mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
Steelers underachieving is on Tomlin. Looking past the Jags game and allowing players to skip OTAs shows a lack of leadership. They keep repeating the same mistakes.

Far be it from me to defend Tomlin...but OTAs are voluntary, Tomlin can’t force anyone to be there. Now looking past an opponent...absolutely on coach aviators!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:47 pm 

I still think OTAs are overrated, for many reasons, not the least of which is that they're not going to install anything new or special in a voluntary environment, and freak injuries, but I understand that there's a temptation to judge players based on their participation or non participation. Only natural in a team sport.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:13 am 

Scunge wrote:
Ice wrote:
I agree up until I read that Tom Brady spent his in Monaco.

Tom Brady also hasn't gone 10 years since his last Super Bowl win.

I just find it ironic that we also have Antonio Brown chastising Bell for not being there at OTAs and then... Brown is not there at OTAs. Whatever.

Some may say hey we are being too critical of these players, this time is too early, it does not factor into the great scheme of things. Yeah, Ramon Foster and David DeCastro think otherwise. Both of these players had interviews this past week, upset that players were missing, or skipping the OTAs. A Super Bowl champion starts with these OTAs, every bit of time is precious. Especially when you have a new OC, when you have new pieces like a rookie James Washington who is going to be counted upon heavily as a rookie, when you need to get Vance McDonald the reps and time he needs to be that stud TE. Foster knows this, DeCastro knows this. Ben, Brown and Bell feel otherwise.

Is it any wonder they continue to underperform in the playoffs? That they disappoint and can't carry the team to our 7th Super Bowl title? This is all just par for the course, just the same old, same old, move along nothing to see here, move along...

Bingo. When's the last time Bens been to the big game. Not to mention Tommy has a known beef/reason to no show. When it comes to winning Ben can't hold Bradys jock

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 am 

As long as you include Belichick and Ernie Adams in that equation, it could have a ring of truth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:49 pm 

I missed the original airing of this I believe was aired last week. Reggie Bush may have hit the proverbial nail right on the head.

Watch:
Quote:
"I feel like the Pittsburgh Steelers haven't learned their lesson." https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1002516 ... n%2F447218

Listen to this Q&A and may I suggest pay especially close attention to the Audio at time 1:22
Quote:
building chemistry during OTAs and more. https://twitter.com/steelers/status/100 ... efense-nfl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 pm 

I'm still not sure that's not more to do with having a 24 hour, 7 day a week NFL network that has to stay relevant at the end of May while their league isn't playing meaningful games until September. Laundry is a big boy. I'm sure he can take whatever a receiver says in a voluntary OTA interview with a grain of salt and move on with his life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:05 pm 

I found Haden's interview compelling. I love how Haden threw in a disclaimer stating that it isn't how some guys do it; that it doesn't work for some guys but that he's one that has to be there with his teammates getting better regardless of it being OTA's.

More on the OTA topic:
Quote:
“Obviously, being at OTAs and not being in pads, we get to focus a lot on the technique,” Finney said. “So, all of our feet being in the right position, getting the hands in the right placement, because obviously, without having pads, you can’t grab ahold of anything. Sustaining blocks and getting the camaraderie and just getting that chemistry between guys that play next to each other, that’s a huge step and it gets developed here.”
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/b- ... -and-more/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:30 pm 

I would imagine Haden was looking forward to getting a full offseason in with the Steelers. He did an excellent job of fitting in last year without one. I'm expecting even better things with one under his belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 am 

My point is confirmed by these couple players. Whether they really like it or not OTA's are an important process in the scheme of things. Regardless of status within the team players only help themselves and other players by participating. The players that aren't there by choice are just putting themselves in a trailing position behind their teammates. It really is just OTA's yet two players comment how these activities are important for them and their teammates. If OTA's were as inconsequential as folks perceive they wouldn't be implemented. The fact that they're voluntary is even better. Shows us who is dedicated and who just goes through the motions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:07 am 

I think the players who need the extra work are certainly happy to be there. Haden is an excellent example. As is Feiler. With Hubbard moving on, he has a great opportunity to step it up and earn some PT and the money that comes with it this season. They're exactly the guys for whom this part of the process is important. Using their comments on the value of OTAs to them, and using them to draw conclusions about the participation of 10+ year veterans of the team; well, I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 am 

I heard the comment about Pouncey in regards to Ben.

Amazing to me that so many just don't get it. James Washington is going to be part of the trio of WRs who plays probably 65% of the snaps as a rookie.

Jaylin Samuels could very well find himself playing a variety of roles, from HB, FB, H-back, TE, slot WR.

Vance McDonald is being counted upon to be that dangerous TE in the passing game.

To Pouncey's point, yeah, maybe Ben does not need OTA's, which I disagree with, but Washington, Samuels and McDonald need all the reps they can get, need all the passes thrown to them by Ben that they can get, so that the chemistry develops between themselves and Ben.

They need to know what it is like with Ben throwing passes to them, the speed, the velocity, the spin of the football. Does he put too much on the ball at times? When? Does he place the ball to where you can run through the catch? Do they as players need to make adjustments for Ben, does Ben need to learn their tendencies of how they catch the ball, how they track the ball? Sure all of the above and more, much, much more.

It is great that Ben has a great rapport with Brown and with JuJu and Bell, but there are new players now, that are going to be counted upon heavily this season.

So, yeah, Ben may not think it is important to be around, but all he is doing is perhaps self-fulfilling what he fears, another slow start to the season where everybody is not on the same page, etc.

This offseason, the OTAs, it starts here dumbass, and here you are and Brown too, blowing things off, as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I heard the comment about Pouncey in regards to Ben.

Amazing to me that so many just don't get it. James Washington is going to be part of the trio of WRs who plays probably 65% of the snaps as a rookie.

Jaylin Samuels could very well find himself playing a variety of roles, from HB, FB, H-back, TE, slot WR.

Vance McDonald is being counted upon to be that dangerous TE in the passing game.

To Pouncey's point, yeah, maybe Ben does not need OTA's, which I disagree with, but Washington, Samuels and McDonald need all the reps they can get, need all the passes thrown to them by Ben that they can get, so that the chemistry develops between themselves and Ben.

They need to know what it is like with Ben throwing passes to them, the speed, the velocity, the spin of the football. Does he put too much on the ball at times? When? Does he place the ball to where you can run through the catch? Do they as players need to make adjustments for Ben, does Ben need to learn their tendencies of how they catch the ball, how they track the ball? Sure all of the above and more, much, much more.

It is great that Ben has a great rapport with Brown and with JuJu and Bell, but there are new players now, that are going to be counted upon heavily this season.

So, yeah, Ben may not think it is important to be around, but all he is doing is perhaps self-fulfilling what he fears, another slow start to the season where everybody is not on the same page, etc.

This offseason, the OTAs, it starts here dumbass, and here you are and Brown too, blowing things off, as usual.

It's not Ben that doesn't think he needs to around. AB said the team asked Ben/AB not to participate in this stage, so that the younger guys can hit the ground running when later dates leave less room to be getting acclimated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
It's not Ben that doesn't think he needs to around. AB said the team asked Ben/AB not to participate in this stage, so that the younger guys can hit the ground running when later dates leave less room to be getting acclimated.

In other words, fake news.

I do hope Tomlin plans to get those guys more reps in August than last year. Ben was a little off on the timing/accuracy of his throws to everyone for 6-7 games. Unless he had an unknown injury, that would see to be a lack of reps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm 

Wait, you mean there might be some reason other than lack of dedication and laziness/no desire to win that 10+ year vets aren't at a voluntary football in shorts activity in May? Shocked, shocked I am to hear of the gambling in this establishment...

But hey, it's the offseason.

I'll agree that I'd like to see Ben get some more game reps this preseason, but understand they're going to have to let the Dobbs/Rudolph thing play out, and perhaps showcase Dobbs a little to see if he might be worth a middling draft pick, so that'll eat up some PT. Hopefully, Laundry's. Pretty sure we know what we've got there.

Last edited by Ice on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:36 pm 

I guess maybe alternate facts instead? I mean, AB is just spreading falsehoods for the fuck of it. It seems to be the behavior du jour. That's "of the day" for you americans :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I missed the original airing of this I believe was aired last week. Reggie Bush may have hit the proverbial nail right on the head.

Watch:
Quote:
"I feel like the Pittsburgh Steelers haven't learned their lesson." https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1002516 ... n%2F447218

Listen to this Q&A and may I suggest pay especially close attention to the Audio at time 1:22
Quote:
building chemistry during OTAs and more. https://twitter.com/steelers/status/100 ... efense-nfl

You lost me at Reggie Bush.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm 

I have confidence that, if they train carefully and in a professional manner on their own, Ben and AB can make up for missing today's team trip to Dave and Buster's in time to at least make a competitive showing at the skee ball tournament at the Latrobe Chuck E Cheese in early August.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:52 pm 

Lead By Example...

Quote:
Steelers sign tackle Bryce Harris, tight end Ryan Malleck http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1806040140

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:59 pm 

I will say it was cool sending the rookies to Children's Hospital to meet and greet with the kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 pm 

Brown bitching about Arians and Tomlin. Just what we need another social media knuckle head.