It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cohesion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm 

Its funny, because i've already heard several ex-NFLer's, not HS footballers like yourself , comment on the lack of leadership it shows. Which has been a pretty big issue with this team if you haven't noticed. It's the Madden football crowd that continues to believe a group of talented individuals can go out and win big games against cohesive teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm 

And high school gymnasium autograph sessions are undeniably crucial. Think it was Lombardi who said that.

Honestly, the team told the two players you're railing against to stay away, and all you're offering against that are apples to oranges comparisons with offensive linemen, who need the reps, platitudes and the testimony of "former NFLers" that were probably ham n eggers, anyway. Or Reggie Bush with airtime to fill on a 24 hour NFL network with no games being played for 3 months.

If they fall short in the playoffs this year, at least we won't have to debate the reasons why. It will be lack of skee ball participation in late May. Might as well not even play the season. Thank God I didn't fork over any cash for tickets this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 am 

It's really not a debate to me. We all know that when your star players are present is makes for a better environment for all players and coaches. Inspiration/Motivation?! Ben doesn't have to take snaps/reps or have to throw everyday. Just being there holding the clipboard, showing support, assisting in coaching up Landry, Rudolph and Dobbs giving them pointers interacting with his WR corps and just having fun throwing the ball around lightly is great and establishes a good report. Same thing in AB's case. Bell is a trainwreck right now but even still, if Bell is there he could help his teammates without having to take all the reps. Helping their teammates helps themselves down the road is all I've been promoting being better as a unit. I agree with the RS post and add, nothing wrong with going to Dave and Busters with the guys and letting off some OTA steam either. That was voluntary as well. No one had to show up for the annual Dave and Busters retreat. Going and hanging out shows a kind of mutual respect and brotherhood. Work hard, play hard right? I know it sounds all too serious. Actions speak loudly for me. In the end when you want to win..., no practice and opportunity to interact with your teammates is too insignificant. Y'all have your point of view and I have mine. We can agree to disagree regarding OTA's. Minicamps are next. I suspect they'll be in attendance then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:16 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
It's really not a debate to me. We all know that when your star players are present is makes for a better environment for all players and coaches.

To me, that's what it comes down to. And if the team told Ben and AB to stay away (which I don't buy until I see it quoted by Tomlin) then the coaching leadership is as fucked as many here suspect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am 

For me, what it comes down to is, if these grown men playing for money need Ben and AB at Dave and Buster's, or holding clipboards, or high-fiving them in order to succeed, we've probably got the wrong players anyway; reps are more important for the players who really need them than they are for 10-year All-Pro veterans, and that we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:45 pm 

Ben back at practice today after being away for a week on vacation. Why not schedule your vacation when there is no practice?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:11 pm 

The sharing of the experiences in combat is what I'm talking about. Ideas about what one might/could face in a certain scenario. What worked, how it was successful and the way it unfolded. What not to do, why it was unsuccessful. Simply building a report with your WR corps, timing and trust process started. The sooner you get that ball rolling the better. Not for those star players setting a new high score at the basketball toss over at some kids pizza place. Or shooting 16 rounds at the local course. How does that establish any report? But since we got the labeling crew throwing out nouns like bedwetters wanting to split hairs that OTA's don't mean shit? Always room to improve your craft. Especially since practices are numbered during the season and there are new faces. In the end, I don't care how many backhanded comments are made, we simply agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 pm 

I mean, there are considerably fewer teams in the league every year that go out of their practice facilities for training camp. The Steelers maintain a steadfast stance on going down to Latrobe every summer, so team building is forced through dorm living, etc, rather than doing it on their own turf, at a much better equipped practice facility in Pittsburgh, where players can go home to kids, friends and family every night after practice. They do this specifically for team building purposes; everything mentioned in this thread. I think they've shown as a team and an organization over the years, a commitment to that kind of thing. More so than many other teams in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 pm 

Day 9....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:03 pm 

Ice wrote:
For those keeping score, after missing yesterday's crucial excursion to Dave and Buster's, Ben and AB have continued to fail to adequately prepare themselves for glory this season by missing today's super-critical high school gymnasium autograph session.

I just can't see how Ben and AB will get it together if they miss movie night!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next