It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who gets cut: Laundry or Dobbs?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 pm 

Laundry is better at this point and can teach Rudolph. Dobbs is showing some life and may have more upside.

Post subject: Re: Who gets cut: Laundry or Dobbs?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 pm 

I may be in the minority to keep Dobbs around

Last edited by steelmann58 on Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 pm 

Both when Michael Vick stuns in the preseason as part of an epic comeback

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:21 pm 

Neither....Dobbs to PS

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 pm 

Dobbs would have to pass through waivers. I don't think he makes it. Dobbs is cut and doesn't return.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 am 

Laundry is not going anywhere next year. He will be the #2.

Dobbs to the PS and Rudolph #3 inactive on game day.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am 

If Rudolph or Dobbs really flash during training camp, then Jones might be gone — but not via a cut. At this point, Jones is a decent backup QB. A team might pay a 6th round choice for a backup. Rather trade Jones if we can. My hope is that after a redshirt season to work on mechanis, Dobbs shows enough to be a quality back up. Regardless, if Dobbs can make it a hard decision, then I’d hope we can get something in a trade.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:49 am 

Dobbs would have to make an AMAZING impression this preseason to have a chance.

If he doesn't blow the doors off and look like the second coming of Randall Cunningham meets Sammy Baugh, he's 100% cut.

Laundry will be the #2.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am 

Drafting Rudolph showed Dobbs is not the future. If Ben gets hurt for a few games, they aren't betting the season on the green Dobbs or rookie Rudolph.

Dobbs would have to look really good in preseason, and frankly I don't think he has the accuracy to do it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 am 

I don't know. If you think Mason is your eventual #2, then he pushes Jones off the roster. Jones isn't great, but he's better than a #3. If they like Dobbs as the #3 and see him as an eventual career #2, I could see them keeping him. You also have to factor in that they may have some goodwill toward Jones and would let him look for better opportunities. Or they have some goodwill toward him and let him keep his job/paycheck.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am 

Laying the Wood wrote:
I don't know. If you think Mason is your eventual #2, then he pushes Jones off the roster. Jones isn't great, but he's better than a #3. If they like Dobbs as the #3 and see him as an eventual career #2, I could see them keeping him. You also have to factor in that they may have some goodwill toward Jones and would let him look for better opportunities. Or they have some goodwill toward him and let him keep his job/paycheck.

Key word in your statement is "eventual".

Rudolph could contend for the #2 job next season. That isn't happening this year. The Steelers simply have too much to lose if Ben goes down for a few games, trusting the position to either Rudolph or Dobbs.

Again, if Dobbs comes out and looks unbelievable, then things could change and Laundry could become trade bait. Jones isn't anything special in my book, but the Steelers value experience and while I don't have his record as a starting QB handy, I'm pretty sure Jones has a winning record in that role.

That's all Tomlin and company care about.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 am 

KC wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:

Key word in your statement is "eventual".

Rudolph could contend for the #2 job next season. That isn't happening this year. The Steelers simply have too much to lose if Ben goes down for a few games, trusting the position to either Rudolph or Dobbs.

Again, if Dobbs comes out and looks unbelievable, then things could change and Laundry could become trade bait. Jones isn't anything special in my book, but the Steelers value experience and while I don't have his record as a starting QB handy, I'm pretty sure Jones has a winning record in that role.

That's all Tomlin and company care about.

That's fair. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:46 am 

Steelers record in games Landry Jones started and finished...

2-2

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 am 

Havoc wrote:

2-2

Interesting.

What's his record in games he entered when Roethlisberger was injured?

Was that what happened in that Cardinals game when he threw that short pass for Bryant when the Alien made one guy miss and then took it to the house?

Also, didn't Jones hit AB with a short pass and he also went a long way for a score? Don't 100% remember.

What's weird is that Jones started that final game of the year against the Browns and should have (undeservedly) lost that game if the Browns receiver doesn't drop an easy 4th down ball from Kizer near the goal line.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am 

Laying the Wood wrote:
I don't know. If you think Mason is your eventual #2, then he pushes Jones off the roster. Jones isn't great, but he's better than a #3. If they like Dobbs as the #3 and see him as an eventual career #2, I could see them keeping him.

Jones is still young, obviously. He's still here because they see him as a viable career backup. Clearly they don't see Dobbs as a future starter, so why would they cut Jones hoping Dobbs can develop into a capable backup (which is what they feel they already have with Jones)? Dobbs would have to make a big leap this year to take the #2 job.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am 

I'll admit I thought Jones was a better than .500 backup as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:06 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I don't know. If you think Mason is your eventual #2, then he pushes Jones off the roster. Jones isn't great, but he's better than a #3. If they like Dobbs as the #3 and see him as an eventual career #2, I could see them keeping him.

Jones is still young, obviously. He's still here because they see him as a viable career backup. Clearly they don't see Dobbs as a future starter, so why would they cut Jones hoping Dobbs can develop into a capable backup (which is what they feel they already have with Jones)? Dobbs would have to make a big leap this year to take the #2 job.

Jones is 29. That's not a spring chicken. Also, why did they draft Dobbs? Maybe they don't even know the answer to that...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Jones is 29. That's not a spring chicken. Also, why did they draft Dobbs? Maybe they don't even know the answer to that...

Took a flier on a guy they thought could become a quality starter. Clearly they determined otherwise after just one year.

Jones could be a backup for 6-7 years, which is an eternity in the NFL. Either Dobbs proves he can be a capable backup in preseason or he's gone. I think it will be a pretty clear & easy decision.

If Dobbs underwhelms again, it's a safe bet he'll clear waivers and head to PS.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 am 

Ice wrote:
I'll admit I thought Jones was a better than .500 backup as well.

As a starter, Jones has beaten the Browns twice. That’s it. If I recall correctly, his first start was a stinker against KC? I give him a pass on that one. Then he barely beat the 1-31 perennially awful Browns in two attempts, looking serviceable in both. He also lost to a very good Pats team in his other start, again looking serviceable in his effort. Jones is in a word, serviceable. Sample size (if you throw out the pathetic preseason play) is still small but he is a known commodity with a floor of above average backup and a ceiling of serviceable starter. Count me in the camp of it’ll take a Herculean effort from Dobbs this preaseason to push Landry off the roster; otherwise, he gone. Rudolph is safe.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 am 

KC wrote:
Havoc wrote:

2-2

Interesting.

What's his record in games he entered when Roethlisberger was injured?

Was that what happened in that Cardinals game when he threw that short pass for Bryant when the Alien made one guy miss and then took it to the house?

Also, didn't Jones hit AB with a short pass and he also went a long way for a score? Don't 100% remember.

What's weird is that Jones started that final game of the year against the Browns and should have (undeservedly) lost that game if the Browns receiver doesn't drop an easy 4th down ball from Kizer near the goal line.

I don't know what the Steelers record is in games Landry Jones played but did not start.

Here are a couple good Jones relief appearances (not saying this is all of them)...

2015 vs cardinals. Vick got hurt in 2nd quarter.

Jones in that relief appearance 2 TD's 14.0 Y/A (largely due to Bryant's YAC on the 88 yd TD)

2015 vs Raiders. Ben and the offense (and even Haley) were great that game. We put up 35 on the scoreboard with Ben at the helm.

Jones was qb on the final 2 possessions... we scored 3 points. He engineered the game winning drive (I'll give him credit for that). We kicked the game winning fg on the final drive.

Last edited by Havoc on Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm 

Did anyone watch Josh Dobbs in the preseason last year? If so, the answer to the question is an easy one. He was a dumpster fire. Clearly, the FO thought so too or they wouldn't have drafted Rudolph. My guess is that Dobbs can't hit the broad side of a barn in practice and the team knows it.

Dobbs is cut and IMO I think he clears waivers easily.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm 

For me Dobbs is immaterial to the real question.

The real question should be, does Mason Rudolph push Jones off the team? He signed a 4 year contract and he is a 3rd rounder who does not get a 5th year option. If he were drafted in the first round, like those other 5 QBs he would have that 5th year option, the team would have more leeway in his development, they could give him a redshirt year as the #3 QB. Remember Dobbs was inactive for 15 games last season and was only activated for the last game to be Jones backup as Ben was deactivated.

Mason is the first real QB, the first legitimate QB prospect that has been drafted on Tomlin's watch. He inherited Ben from Cowher. Remember how Cowher inherited O'Donnell from Noll and then he got Kordell Stewart? And how he was all in on him? I watched that Pro Day that Rudolph had and saw Tomlin and how he watched him and smiled, how he was totally smitten with Mason. It is the same thing all over again, Mason is Tomlin's guy, his QB of the future.

Again, looking back at Dobbs last season, how is Mason Rudolph going to develop as the #3 QB? Not getting any snaps in practice, not dressing for games, being inactive each week. Those that fantasize about us having a blowout and then resting Ben and putting Rudolph in to get some snaps and experience, how does that happen if Mason is in sweats and deactivated each game?

So, if Mason is the #3 QB, he gets no snaps, and because we have no dedicated QB coach, and Randy Fitchner will be too busy being the offensive coordinator, he will actually be in a worse position than Dobbs was in terms of learning and developing. Last season Haley was the OC and Fitchner was the dedicated QB coach, at least Dobbs had that much. Mason wouldn't even have that.

Do people really think the Steelers are going to hang Mason out to dry as a rookie and let him languish as the #3 QB under those circumstances? If they really thought he was a 1st rounder and really think he has potential to be their next starting QB, they are going to put him in a position that is worse than what Dobbs experienced last season? No.

They have to realize that Fitchner is only going to be able to truly coach and develop Rudolph if Mason is indeed the #2 QB this year. And because they have no 5th year option on him, a redshirt season makes no sense. If Mason is the #2 QB, he is getting snaps in practice each week, he is heavily involved in the game plans, he has more contact and exposure to Fitchner and he is able to watch and learn from Ben more. That will accelerate his development as a QB.

Now, if that happens, then does it make any sense to keep Landry Jones? Again, that #3 QB is inactive each game. We could save $1.9 million by cutting him. Many here keep talking about signing this free agent or that free agent but where does the money come from? To be quite frank, Jones is one of 3 players that they can cut to free up money, the other two being Sensabaugh and Bey.

I feel like they view Dobbs as the #2 QB of the future and he is making peanuts compared to Jones, we would only save $555,000 if we cut him. Dobbs would be fine as the #3 QB, but to have Jones as your #3 QB making almost $2 million? That is ridiculous and wasteful.

Also, the Steelers are not really that happy with Landry Jones as their backup QB. If they were as thrilled as some people make it out to be then why did they only give him a two year contract? For one of the lowest totals I have seen of late for a backup QB? If they really thought that Jones was an above average backup, then why didn't they give him a 3 or 4 year deal?

The past two seasons he has finished with starts against the woeful Cleveland Browns. Those two games really make his career stats look much, much better than they really are. The Browns at that point did not want to win, were sucking for the best possible draft slot, etc.

Anyway, if you subtract the time he has thrown against the Cleveland Browns, what do his stats look like?

58 of 101, 57% completion percentage, 771 yards, 4 TDs and 5 INTs for a passer rating of 74.3. Yeah, that is damn good backup QB play. Our best WR, Antonio Brown, in 3 starts with Jones had a catch percentage of 59% (normally 70% with Ben) and 0 TDs. I just do not see the attraction of Landry Jones and why people think he is a good backup QB. I think he is truly awful.

I know this is a what if, but what if the Steelers drafted Rudolph in round 1? Is he still the #3 QB? Why? Landry Jones would still be the #2 QB in that scenario, really? Ultimately, I think the Steelers are pinching themselves because maybe they did want to take Rudolph in round 1, are ecstatic about getting him in round 3 but will fast track him and treat him as if he were a 1st round QB. And that means Landry Jones has to go.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm 

I don't think Jones gets cut, unless he's just awful in preseason. By that I mean, worse than previous awful preseasons. I think he's worth a draft pick to someone in need of an experienced backup.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm 

Yeah, I think the Jones getting pushed off the roster by Rudolph thing, at least this season, is just silly. Rudolph is on a four year deal. He doesn't need to be rushed in any way shape or form, including into the backup slot. Like was said by a few players and coaches already since the draft, it's really part of the backup job to be doing tutoring of a new qb. The starter has to prepare to, well, start the next game. So, if you force Rudolph into the backup job this season, cut Laundry, then, what, he's getting pointers on successful NFL qb play from Josh Dobbs? Fitch isn't going to be personally tutoring the kid, either, by the way. He's the offensive coordinator now, and will be focusing on more global concerns than teaching a rookie quarterback.

Last edited by Ice on Thu May 24, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm 

Dobbs is gone

He did nothing last preseason