It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm 

Well, Kendricks did have a good 2017 season, coming off the bench to play better than he had for a couple of years. It could be that he had long-lasting hammy issues.

Not sure he'll ever be a guy you want to match up with a TE, but... is he better than Matakevich? Of course he is.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Well, Kendricks did have a good 2017 season, coming off the bench to play better than he had for a couple of years. It could be that he had long-lasting hammy issues.

Not sure he'll ever be a guy you want to match up with a TE, but... is he better than Matakevich? Of course he is.

So your saying you wouldn't match (a healthy) Shazier up with a TE either? Because, other than being 1-2"s shorter, he's almost identical to Shazier athletically. He's a better athlete and football player then any ILB we currently have on our roster. Now, if he has some commitment/mental/attitude issues that's a different story, but we aren't privy to that stuff usually. If all is good with him, I would give him a 3yr/$12m/$5mG if we could afford it somehow. Heck, would you consider cutting Vince and giving Kendricks his cap savings plus another $1.5m or so?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:17 pm 

Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage. Some guys are bad athletes and great in coverage and vice versa. Before late 2016, I would never have had Shazier covering a move TE 1 on 1, and said so here on this forum multiple times. I also pointed out when he began to improve in this area.

If Kendricks were a developmental guy, I'd be more inclined to take a chance on training him to use his athleticism. He can do some stuff-but he's another guy with tackling issues and coverage issues who jumps out of tape because of his speed... not always going in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I don't see where we have the money to sign anybody else in free agency. We have restructured pretty much everybody we could this offseason and I don't think they give Ben an extension until next offseason, if at all. Also, Ben has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract, so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in terms of actually saving money. If he plays well, the offense takes off with Randy as the OC, Ben could meet all of those incentives and make as much as $9 million extra.

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do.

I know where they can find $14.5 million... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage. Some guys are bad athletes and great in coverage and vice versa. Before late 2016, I would never have had Shazier covering a move TE 1 on 1, and said so here on this forum multiple times. I also pointed out when he began to improve in this area.

If Kendricks were a developmental guy, I'd be more inclined to take a chance on training him to use his athleticism. He can do some stuff-but he's another guy with tackling issues and coverage issues who jumps out of tape because of his speed... not always going in the right direction.

Whatever you say, b2b. You can keep on convincing yourself he's a two down player and I'll stick to my position that he's better in coverage than any ILB on our roster. Is he Shazier? No, no one is, but he's a lot closer to it than anything we have an option to put on the field this year.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage.

Huge Shazier fan (CFB affiliation as well as the job he was doing for the PS), but this is definitely true. Shazier was a young, ascending, improving player. His best ball was ahead of him. He definitely needed to learn a LOT coming into the league, and had only recently begun to really hit his stride. Can 27-year old Kendricks make similar strides before injury and/or Father Time takes that speed from him? Maybe. Do you want to pay as much as he's going to ask to see that hole card?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:15 pm 

Ice wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage.

Huge Shazier fan (CFB affiliation as well as the job he was doing for the PS), but this is definitely true. Shazier was a young, ascending, improving player. His best ball was ahead of him. He definitely needed to learn a LOT coming into the league, and had only recently begun to really hit his stride. Can 27-year old Kendricks make similar strides before injury and/or Father Time takes that speed from him? Maybe. Do you want to pay as much as he's going to ask to see that hole card?

True, but what's the saying? You can't teach speed. Dirty Red may be great at knowing how to cover, but knowing how won't stop a 4.6/40 TE from blowing by him. If you have the speed first, you can/should be coached up, much like Shazier was recently showing. My guess is the market will bear somewhere in the $3-5m/per for Kendricks' services.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:37 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I don't see where we have the money to sign anybody else in free agency. We have restructured pretty much everybody we could this offseason and I don't think they give Ben an extension until next offseason, if at all. Also, Ben has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract, so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in terms of actually saving money. If he plays well, the offense takes off with Randy as the OC, Ben could meet all of those incentives and make as much as $9 million extra.

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do.

I know where they can find $14.5 million... :mrgreen:

I believe they gain no comp pick if they rescind the tag now... so that's not happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm 

DP39 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Whatever you say, b2b. You can keep on convincing yourself he's a two down player and I'll stick to my position that he's better in coverage than any ILB on our roster. Is he Shazier? No, no one is, but he's a lot closer to it than anything we have an option to put on the field this year.

I'll take Bostic, Matthew Thomas, and Edmunds as an ILB over Kendricks, especially given the price tag.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 pm 

Scunge wrote:

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do

I cut Bey, Sensabaugh restructure Heyward and possibly Haden to get Kendricks in the B&G.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next