It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm 

Quote:
Kendricks was designated as a post-June 1 release, clearing $6 million in cap space while leaving behind $1.6 million in dead money. The move comes after the Eagles (again) failed to find a trade partner for their two-down thumper. Kendricks wanted to play all three downs. Going on 28, Kendricks had one of his best seasons in 2018. Provided he's healthy — Kendricks is recovering from an ankle scope — he won't be on the open market for long. Linebacker is a position of need for the Eagles.

Adam Schefter via Twitter

I know we’ve already signed Bostic, but Kendricks would really give us another improvement at ILB.

Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm 

How is the guy in coverage ? because that what is missing on this team right now.KC is always saying they are looking to upgrade this team. I still think they also need help on the outside.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm 

Give him a 4 year deal with a big signing bonus and a small 1st year salary. He (along with Bostic) will strengthen the position greatly.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 pm 

He is a 2-down ILB, in a league where no one runs it on every 1st and 2nd down.

And he wants to get paid like the positional value is 1995 and the salary cap is like 2018.

No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:56 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
He is a 2-down ILB, in a league where no one runs it on every 1st and 2nd down.
/sarca/ So you're saying Kendricks would be an ideal ILB on a team that faces the Steelers then? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am 

Kendricks is a great LB who is physically gifted. You can knock him on his injury history, but not much else. I don't get the label as inadequate in pass coverage. He's always graded out pretty well there in PFF (if you buy into that stuff) and he certainly has the speed to cover backs. He was awesome in the 4-3 defense Philly had a few years back but has struggled with where they have been positioning him of late. The coaches frankly have preferred Bradham I think and I'm not necessarily sure that was their best move.

Kendricks still has a lot of gas left in the tank I believe (only 27 I think). I like VW and I also really like the Bostic signing, but I think it is hard to argue that Kendricks wouldn't make this defense better. I would take a long hard look at signing him to a smart cap friendly contract.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:14 am 

He would be an upgrade and nice addition at this point, but he will have many teams interested in him.

Won't be in our price range....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:03 pm 

If what the Steelers want is to find a player that can replace what Shazier did effectively on this D, then Mychal Kendricks more closely does that than either Bostic or Williams. Although his height and arms arm slightly shorter, his coverage and run abilities are about as close as we are going to get at this point (he actually has better COD than Ryan and almost as fast).

If completely healthy and willing to sign a friendly deal, I would do what I could to get him into camp. He's certainly more than a 2 down player in our scheme, unless they are sold on only having extra Safeties handle passing down duties. He's definitely a better ILB than both Williams and Bostic....and I think Bostic is on the come, as they say.

I think there will be some demand for him, but he's not going to get paid what he thinks he thinks he's worth, at this point.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 pm 

DP39 wrote:
he's not going to get paid what he thinks he thinks he's worth, at this point.

Can pretty much be said for any vet FA/cut on the street right now, but I hear you.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 pm 

I don't see where we have the money to sign anybody else in free agency. We have restructured pretty much everybody we could this offseason and I don't think they give Ben an extension until next offseason, if at all. Also, Ben has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract, so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in terms of actually saving money. If he plays well, the offense takes off with Randy as the OC, Ben could meet all of those incentives and make as much as $9 million extra.

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do.