It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16849
Well, Kendricks did have a good 2017 season, coming off the bench to play better than he had for a couple of years. It could be that he had long-lasting hammy issues.

Not sure he'll ever be a guy you want to match up with a TE, but... is he better than Matakevich? Of course he is.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1602
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Well, Kendricks did have a good 2017 season, coming off the bench to play better than he had for a couple of years. It could be that he had long-lasting hammy issues.

Not sure he'll ever be a guy you want to match up with a TE, but... is he better than Matakevich? Of course he is.


So your saying you wouldn't match (a healthy) Shazier up with a TE either? Because, other than being 1-2"s shorter, he's almost identical to Shazier athletically. He's a better athlete and football player then any ILB we currently have on our roster. Now, if he has some commitment/mental/attitude issues that's a different story, but we aren't privy to that stuff usually. If all is good with him, I would give him a 3yr/$12m/$5mG if we could afford it somehow. Heck, would you consider cutting Vince and giving Kendricks his cap savings plus another $1.5m or so?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16849
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage. Some guys are bad athletes and great in coverage and vice versa. Before late 2016, I would never have had Shazier covering a move TE 1 on 1, and said so here on this forum multiple times. I also pointed out when he began to improve in this area.

If Kendricks were a developmental guy, I'd be more inclined to take a chance on training him to use his athleticism. He can do some stuff-but he's another guy with tackling issues and coverage issues who jumps out of tape because of his speed... not always going in the right direction.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 7102
Scunge wrote:
I don't see where we have the money to sign anybody else in free agency. We have restructured pretty much everybody we could this offseason and I don't think they give Ben an extension until next offseason, if at all. Also, Ben has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract, so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in terms of actually saving money. If he plays well, the offense takes off with Randy as the OC, Ben could meet all of those incentives and make as much as $9 million extra.

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do.

I know where they can find $14.5 million... :mrgreen:

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1602
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage. Some guys are bad athletes and great in coverage and vice versa. Before late 2016, I would never have had Shazier covering a move TE 1 on 1, and said so here on this forum multiple times. I also pointed out when he began to improve in this area.

If Kendricks were a developmental guy, I'd be more inclined to take a chance on training him to use his athleticism. He can do some stuff-but he's another guy with tackling issues and coverage issues who jumps out of tape because of his speed... not always going in the right direction.

Whatever you say, b2b. You can keep on convincing yourself he's a two down player and I'll stick to my position that he's better in coverage than any ILB on our roster. Is he Shazier? No, no one is, but he's a lot closer to it than anything we have an option to put on the field this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4929
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage.


Huge Shazier fan (CFB affiliation as well as the job he was doing for the PS), but this is definitely true. Shazier was a young, ascending, improving player. His best ball was ahead of him. He definitely needed to learn a LOT coming into the league, and had only recently begun to really hit his stride. Can 27-year old Kendricks make similar strides before injury and/or Father Time takes that speed from him? Maybe. Do you want to pay as much as he's going to ask to see that hole card?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1602
Ice wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage.


Huge Shazier fan (CFB affiliation as well as the job he was doing for the PS), but this is definitely true. Shazier was a young, ascending, improving player. His best ball was ahead of him. He definitely needed to learn a LOT coming into the league, and had only recently begun to really hit his stride. Can 27-year old Kendricks make similar strides before injury and/or Father Time takes that speed from him? Maybe. Do you want to pay as much as he's going to ask to see that hole card?

True, but what's the saying? You can't teach speed. Dirty Red may be great at knowing how to cover, but knowing how won't stop a 4.6/40 TE from blowing by him. If you have the speed first, you can/should be coached up, much like Shazier was recently showing. My guess is the market will bear somewhere in the $3-5m/per for Kendricks' services.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16849
Jobus Rum wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I don't see where we have the money to sign anybody else in free agency. We have restructured pretty much everybody we could this offseason and I don't think they give Ben an extension until next offseason, if at all. Also, Ben has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract, so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in terms of actually saving money. If he plays well, the offense takes off with Randy as the OC, Ben could meet all of those incentives and make as much as $9 million extra.

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do.

I know where they can find $14.5 million... :mrgreen:

I believe they gain no comp pick if they rescind the tag now... so that's not happening.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16849
DP39 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage. Some guys are bad athletes and great in coverage and vice versa. Before late 2016, I would never have had Shazier covering a move TE 1 on 1, and said so here on this forum multiple times. I also pointed out when he began to improve in this area.

If Kendricks were a developmental guy, I'd be more inclined to take a chance on training him to use his athleticism. He can do some stuff-but he's another guy with tackling issues and coverage issues who jumps out of tape because of his speed... not always going in the right direction.

Whatever you say, b2b. You can keep on convincing yourself he's a two down player and I'll stick to my position that he's better in coverage than any ILB on our roster. Is he Shazier? No, no one is, but he's a lot closer to it than anything we have an option to put on the field this year.

I'll take Bostic, Matthew Thomas, and Edmunds as an ILB over Kendricks, especially given the price tag.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14259
Scunge wrote:
I don't see where we have the money to sign anybody else in free agency. We have restructured pretty much everybody we could this offseason and I don't think they give Ben an extension until next offseason, if at all. Also, Ben has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract, so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in terms of actually saving money. If he plays well, the offense takes off with Randy as the OC, Ben could meet all of those incentives and make as much as $9 million extra.

They really only have a few options like cutting the Beys, Sensabaughs, and Landry Jones, to maybe free up $3.5 million? They really never go into a season without a cushion, to have operating expenses, a petty cash fund if you will. They have done their wheeling and dealing, signed 3 free agents and tagged Bell, and have the 5th year option of Shazier that takes a chunk. Not really anything more that they can do

I cut Bey, Sensabaugh restructure Heyward and possibly Haden to get Kendricks in the B&G.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1638
As someone who suffered an Achilles injury I would say don’t touch him with a 10’ pole.

Achilles Injury Study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28644678/

This article says Kendricks is coming back from an Achilles rupture:
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ContentGallery/Pros-and-cons-of-Pittsburgh-Steelers-signing-Mychal-Kendricks-118465138/#118465138_1

I see no other articles about an Achilles rupture only ankle surgery Kendricks.

Color me skeptiical.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14259
Quote:
Steelers free agent LB target?

I know, Pittsburgh. You hate Mychal Kendricks. He ruined your viewing experience of a Penguins game in Philadelphia earlier this year on NBC.

But what if I told you he's a 27-year old linebacker who stands 6 feet tall, weighs 240 pounds, just started at inside linebacker for the Eagles in the Super Bowl and has now been released?

Is that something you might be interested in?

The Steelers should try to make this happen. The Steelers have only about $5.7 million in cap space . Kendricks may ask for more than that. He was slated to make $5.9 million with a cap hit of over $7.5 million in Philadelphia.

The Eagles released him because they found a cheaper option in Denver's Corey Nelson.

He's a little thicker than Ryan Shazier. But he's almost exactly the same size as Jon Bostic and appears to be a more accomplished version of him. Last season, Kendricks had 77 tackles and two sacks. He also broke up six passes, which is a plus.

At least one outlet says the Steelers would be a perfect landing spot for him. http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/t ... e-steelers


Agreed!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4450
Signing a one year deal with the browns.
EDITED KENDRICKS SAYS NO DEAL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:27 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4929
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
steelmann58 wrote:
Signing a one year deal with the browns.
EDITED KENDRICKS SAYS NO DEAL


Well, rejection of Cleveland always a plus.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14259
Quote:
@christomasson
Mychal Kendricks on report he is signing with the Browns: 1/2: “No, it’s not accurate. I don’t know who the (bleep) said that. That (bleep) is (bleep). Whoever said that (bleep) is (bleep). That’s all I have to say, man. I’m not really talking to anybody else about it... https://twitter.com/christomasson/statu ... 4645237760

Typical crap-report trying to be the first to break the news made himself out to be a douchebag yet again. :lol:

Quote:
@MychalKendricks
Replying to @RapSheet
You will never have my respect https://twitter.com/MychalKendricks/sta ... 3300722691


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:47 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4929
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@christomasson
Mychal Kendricks on report he is signing with the Browns: 1/2: “No, it’s not accurate. I don’t know who the (bleep) said that. That (bleep) is (bleep). Whoever said that (bleep) is (bleep). That’s all I have to say, man. I’m not really talking to anybody else about it... https://twitter.com/christomasson/statu ... 4645237760

Typical crap-report trying to be the first to break the news made himself out to be a douchebag yet again. :lol:

Quote:
@MychalKendricks
Replying to @RapSheet
You will never have my respect https://twitter.com/MychalKendricks/sta ... 3300722691


Angry, profanity-laced rejection of even the idea of Cleveland. Even better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1602
DP39 wrote:
Ice wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Shazier was horrible at 1 on 1 coverage until late 2016, early 2017. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean you're good at coverage.


Huge Shazier fan (CFB affiliation as well as the job he was doing for the PS), but this is definitely true. Shazier was a young, ascending, improving player. His best ball was ahead of him. He definitely needed to learn a LOT coming into the league, and had only recently begun to really hit his stride. Can 27-year old Kendricks make similar strides before injury and/or Father Time takes that speed from him? Maybe. Do you want to pay as much as he's going to ask to see that hole card?

True, but what's the saying? You can't teach speed. Dirty Red may be great at knowing how to cover, but knowing how won't stop a 4.6/40 TE from blowing by him. If you have the speed first, you can/should be coached up, much like Shazier was recently showing. My guess is the market will bear somewhere in the $3-5m/per for Kendricks' services.

Mychal Kendricks signed a 1 year, $3,500,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $500,000 signing bonus and $500,000 guaranteed. :lol:

Shame, we could've probably made that work too....but, you know, our coaches have to give Dirty Red his chance to start...because, you know, he's earned it! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1964
I don't believe that Kendricks is any better than Bostic. Philly had a lot of injuries last season at LB and that was really the only way he was going to see the field. They have been trying to get rid of him the past couple seasons, partly because of his salary, partly because they don't feel he is good enough.

Bostic is no slouch in terms of speed and athletic ability. Running a 4.61, that is right in the neighborhood of Genard Avery's 4.59, Matthew Thomas's 4.58, Tremaine Edmunds 4.54, just saying...

All this talk about Dirty Red being a starter that is just the typical bullshit we get from the Steelers every year in the offseason. They always make their newfound rookies and free agents earn their jobs, they just don't hand it to them on the first day of OTAs. I read where Justin Hunter was getting a lot of snaps over James Washington too, does that mean he will be the man to take Bryant's starting spot?

When the season starts it will be Bostic and Washington with those starting gigs.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4929
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Washington is definitely advanced enough coming out to learn and handle Bryant's responsibilities.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14259
I've also read something similar Ice. In fact there was an article claiming Hunter was blowing up OTA's and he was the next man up fit for Bryant's spot. Then someone reminded the author of the article this is nothing new for Hunter. Since he's been in the NFL he has done exceptional in practices but when the real bullets start flying Hunter is MIA. I hope Washington takes the league by surprise like Smith-Schuster did and Smith-Schuster continues on his epic rise as a NFL WR. SBI. 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendricks Released
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1602
Scunge wrote:
I don't believe that Kendricks is any better than Bostic. Philly had a lot of injuries last season at LB and that was really the only way he was going to see the field. They have been trying to get rid of him the past couple seasons, partly because of his salary, partly because they don't feel he is good enough.

Bostic is no slouch in terms of speed and athletic ability. Running a 4.61, that is right in the neighborhood of Genard Avery's 4.59, Matthew Thomas's 4.58, Tremaine Edmunds 4.54, just saying...

All this talk about Dirty Red being a starter that is just the typical bullshit we get from the Steelers every year in the offseason. They always make their newfound rookies and free agents earn their jobs, they just don't hand it to them on the first day of OTAs. I read where Justin Hunter was getting a lot of snaps over James Washington too, does that mean he will be the man to take Bryant's starting spot?

When the season starts it will be Bostic and Washington with those starting gigs.

I agree that Bostic (underrated) and Washington will both be good. I happen to think Kendricks would be little better than Bostic and Vince, and a whole lot better than Dirty Red or Fort. Folks were saying he was going to get paid $5-7M per year. I think Kendricks' field talent is superior and to think we could have had him on a one year rental for basically what Vince makes is well worth it....not to mention he only signed for $500k guaranteed! How do you not take a shot to see what he brings to the table for only $500k for the next 3-4 months? Crazy. Yet, a few years ago we gave $4.5M (all G$) to that lazy, no good bust, Justin Gilbert, just to look under his hood for a year and see there was no engine there. Some of the moves this team makes are real head scratchers at times. I would guess they never even actually contacted Kendricks to see what his demands were.

I will say, I think Bostic and Hunter (finally maturing - late bloomer) will be better than what people think. This year Hunter will grow more than he ever has in the NFL, under the wing of the solid family that is the PS.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Ice and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group