It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bouchette Chat
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 pm 

I was in the stands at the Rose Bowl for the Stallworth catch. We were surrounded by Rams fans. It was great!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am 

jewelsongs wrote:
I was in the stands at the Rose Bowl for the Stallworth catch. We were surrounded by Rams fans. It was great!

That’s awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

That’s awesome.

Hell yeah. If I had a TARDIS, I would go back and catch some 70's Steelers before saving the planet. Must have been incredible times.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am 

Ice wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

That’s awesome.

Hell yeah. If I had a TARDIS, I would go back and catch some 70's Steelers before saving the planet. Must have been incredible times.

My friends brought 3 cases of Iron City with the Steelers on the can. We were selling them on the road to the Rose Bowl, $1 a can for Steelers fans, $10 a can for Rams fans. People were actually giving us $10. That game was tremendous.

As a fan who started watching the Steelers in the early 1960s, you bet the 70s were great. The Steelers and the Pirates made our city feel good about itself when the economy was going to hell.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Gotta toss a spliff to Santonio Holmes.

Edit. updated

And although these two Super Bowl catches were not for a touchdown, they are both worthy. Some love for the Great Lynn Swann.

We threw from deep in our own territory on the first Swann catch.

Our WRs were more dynamic than the Cryboys WRs.

Lynn Swann = Greatness. SBX MVP

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:34 am 

jewelsongs wrote:

My friends brought 3 cases of Iron City with the Steelers on the can. We were selling them on the road to the Rose Bowl, $1 a can for Steelers fans, $10 a can for Rams fans. People were actually giving us $10. That game was tremendous.

As a fan who started watching the Steelers in the early 1960s, you bet the 70s were great. The Steelers and the Pirates made our city feel good about itself when the economy was going to hell.

My uncle (and now my aunt, since he passed) had/has a huge collection of that Steelers memorabilia, and gave some of those cans for my TV room a few years ago. Get comments from fellow Steelers brethren all the time. Can believe it about the time period in the city, too. My cousin Bill was there from the 60's on through, and he would definitely agree.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
955876 wrote:
Quote:
PK : What is your favorite Steelers Super Bowl TD of all time?
Ed Bouchette: Has to be James Harrison's.

For me I think it would have to be either Willie Parker’s 75 yard TD run or El’s pass to Ward.

While Harrison’s play was more spectacular and Holmes catch was do or die clutch, there was just SOOOOOOO much pent up emotion after waiting 27 years since the last Super Bowl win to go with all those near misses of the Cowher era.

I was beyond pumped when Parker ripped off that run.

The Randle El to Hines Ward throw and the Fast Willie breakaway were great memories for me as well. Am I correct to assume you are too young to remember the Stallworth catch?

Not too young to remember. Just too young to be super passionate about it.

I was like 8 when he caught that. My dad was a driver for UPS at the time. Had a SB party with the other drivers. I remember the night.

SB XL to me has been the most special. That gap between the Rams SB win and the Seattle win was a LOOOOOONG one.

The Cardinals win was awesome as well but was more icing on the cake where XL was the cake.

For me at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 pm 

Some more from SB XIV against the Rams:
Here’s Bradshaw explaining both Stallworth catches:

Both Stallworth catches with a bit of Myron Cope. (3 minute video)

Here’s the 22 minute version from NFL films...if you feel like it:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 pm 

All the vids in this thread are great. Thanks for posting.

The stallworth catch was a c*nt hair away from being batted away. I was resigned to the fact they were going to lose that game against the rams, but they came through. It made it even more delicious.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 pm 

My pleasure Cor-Ten, and I agree about Rams game.

Here’s a 3-minute video of Super Bowl XL against the Seahawks. Featuring:

-Fast Willie Parker’s 75 yard TD Run, which to this day is the longest Super Bowl Run in history, surpassing Marcus Allen’s 74 yard run in XVIII.

-Antwaan Randle El pass to Hines Ward for a 43 yard dagger TD.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:46 pm 

Ice wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

My uncle (and now my aunt, since he passed) had/has a huge collection of that Steelers memorabilia, and gave some of those cans for my TV room a few years ago. Get comments from fellow Steelers brethren all the time. Can believe it about the time period in the city, too. My cousin Bill was there from the 60's on through, and he would definitely agree.

I have a full set of unopened Steelers super bowl iron city cans. Prized possession.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:04 am 

Ice wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

That’s awesome.

People who aren't old enough to remember might not realize how tense that Super Bowl was. Bud Carson, who had designed the Steel Curtain defense, was the Rams' defensive coordinator by then and his defensive game plan frustrated the bejeezus out of Bradshaw and the Steelers. Until Stallworth's catch, Brad really hadn't done much and we really felt the Steelers were in jeopardy of being upset by the 9-7 Vince Ferragamo-led Rams.

Then Stallworth made that catch, Jack Lambert picked off Ferragamo (Rams' only turnover), and Bradshaw tossed another long bomb to Stallworth to set up Franco's game-sealing TD.

But until Stallworth's catch, it was looking grim for the Steelers.

60 Prevent Slot Hook and Go!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 am 

Bud was stealing the defensive signals ( somehow they did not think to change them). Noll started sending in calls via subs and would signal something else. Lambert's interception was signaled as a blitz but he dropped into coverage.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:48 am 

jebrick wrote:
Bud was stealing the defensive signals ( somehow they did not think to change them). Noll started sending in calls via subs and would signal something else. Lambert's interception was signaled as a blitz but he dropped into coverage.

That Bradshaw video earlier in the thread confirms this. Bradshaw also says they knew all his audibles, which is part of why they were struggling. You’re right Jebrick...if they have 3 ex-Steeler coaches, they should have anticipated and changed their signals. Watch the Bradshaw vid if you haven’t already.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

That Bradshaw video earlier in the thread confirms this. Bradshaw also says they knew all his audibles, which is part of why they were struggling. You’re right Jebrkck...if they have 3 ex-Steeler coaches, they should have anticipated and changed their signals. Watch the Bradshaw vid if you haven’t already.

It's funny he mentions Lionel Taylor, the receivers coach. He was our neighbor before he went to LA. Very nice guy who drove me home after I crashed my bike.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 pm 

Harrisons TD has to be first
For me parkers run was second because I liked FWP so much and was so damned fast on that run
Then is the Swann and stallworth and Holmes catches all rolled up ;)

I have the CD collection of that Seahawk run of all the playoff games called by the steeelers commentators. I watch it about three times a year.