It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Safety Platoon
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 am 

Hopefully, things will change.

Carnell Lake and John Mitchell have been phased out so I am hopeful that we will not see the status quo continue.

Bradley and Dunbar were huge additions this offseason.

Between Lake and Mitchell they had some 38 years of experience in Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense. Lake had 7 years as a player and 7 years as a secondary coach, and Mitchell has been our defensive line coach since 1994. Now, yes, I get that LeBeau was not the DC for the entire time but they were using his defense and principles that he created in Cincinnati.

How were things going to change on defense when you have assistants and former players so entrenched, so indoctrinated in the LeBeau system?

Tomlin/Butler and Colbert knew that the only way to forge a way forward is by bringing in new coaches that are unsullied and have different approaches, techniques, views of defense.

Quite frankly, I think they need to give the heave ho to our linebacker coaches as well. Porter and Olasavsky are again, former players, so firmly wrapped up in the LeBeau system that it may be doing more harm than good. Having one might be okay, but to have both like that? Would love to see them change it up and hire a new LBer coach next offseason.

Anyway, fingers crossed, I am hoping that the new coaches inspire and motivate Butler/Tomlin to continue to think outside of the box and move away from our old 3-4.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

I'd agree pretty wholeheartedly on Porter. Other than being a former player of Butler's, I really don't see what he's brought to the table, other than a group (with the exception of Shazier and, yeah, I guess you could include Vince Williams) that has severely underachieved based on investment. Olsavsky is a little more recent, but why not just go with a clean slate.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm 

Pretty decent breakdown on Allen. What I see in these few videos is a very slow read react response. I think that can be coached up. Comments?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2 ... draft-news

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:02 pm 

He is worst in coverage than Mike Michell. He is also much less of an athlete than Mike Michell. How much do you think that can be coached up? This is the only draft choice i hated from the moment it was announced. he is a LB or nothing in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm 

I wanted no part of Marcus Allen in round 2. Don't like the fact that he had only 1 INT in what?, some 52 games? But to take a chance on him in round 5? That is fine and a worthwhile gamble. Lets face it, the Steelers really don't do much in round 5. Go back 45 years, what kind of impact has that 5th round produced?

Mike Webster, 5th round in 74
Craig Wolfley, 5th round in 80
Hardy Nickerson, 5th round in 87
Barry Foster, 5th round in 90
Clark Haggans, 5th round 00
Willie Gay, 5th round in 07
Jesse James, 5th round in 15

So, we get a starter in the 5th round once every 7 years or so? That is what you are looking at in round 5, the odds are stacked against you. The vast majority of the time our 5th round picks don't even make the roster as rookies.

I am hoping that Brian Allen, Marcus Allen and Jaylin Samuels can buck the trend and become meaningful contributors.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Hopefully, things will change.

Carnell Lake and John Mitchell have been phased out so I am hopeful that we will not see the status quo continue.

Bradley and Dunbar were huge additions this offseason.

Between Lake and Mitchell they had some 38 years of experience in Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense. Lake had 7 years as a player and 7 years as a secondary coach, and Mitchell has been our defensive line coach since 1994. Now, yes, I get that LeBeau was not the DC for the entire time but they were using his defense and principles that he created in Cincinnati.

How were things going to change on defense when you have assistants and former players so entrenched, so indoctrinated in the LeBeau system?

Tomlin/Butler and Colbert knew that the only way to forge a way forward is by bringing in new coaches that are unsullied and have different approaches, techniques, views of defense.

Quite frankly, I think they need to give the heave ho to our linebacker coaches as well. Porter and Olasavsky are again, former players, so firmly wrapped up in the LeBeau system that it may be doing more harm than good. Having one might be okay, but to have both like that? Would love to see them change it up and hire a new LBer coach next offseason.

Anyway, fingers crossed, I am hoping that the new coaches inspire and motivate Butler/Tomlin to continue to think outside of the box and move away from our old 3-4.

Nailed it!

Porter and Olsavsky will have no choice but to be on board. You can’t have everyone trying to think out of the box. One or two will be fine. There looks to be a sign off obviously by Butler and Tomlin on this philosophy or else the draft wouldn’t look as such, so the LB coaches should come along nicely. All they have to do do is teach fundamentals and let someone else dictate the philosophy of the defense if they can’t get on board. They both have to be team players to be where they are, so a I am not worried. We still need someone to pull Burfict’s strings for two victories every year.

I was thinking too; would it not make sense to make a safety the sole play caller on the D instead of the Mack? They can see the field better, are in a better position to make adjustments and have more time to react? It would perhaps cement the philosophy change if the safety got the green dot helmet. Not sure if it is doable logistically with distance and position and d-line stunts.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm 

Think we see Allen moved to ilb and asked to gain some weight.
I agree about Porter think we missed the boat IMO with KG

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Nemesis rhyme with Blutarsky....well sort of?

Are you trying to say there is 0.0 chance of a Safety defending Gronk?

Gillooly...

For the passer or catcher?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 pm 

Ask and you shall receive....

Quote:

It appears the Pittsburgh Steelers have made a couple minor changes to its assistant coaching staff. According to the team website, the team has made the following moves.

1. Officially changed Shaun Sarrett’s title from Offensive Assistant to Assistant Offensive Line Coach.

2. Hired Matt Symmes as a Coaching Assistant.

3. Promoted Denzel Martin to Coaching Assistant (while still keeping his Scouting Intern Label).

4. Former Scouting Internet/Coaching Assistant Steve Meyer doesn’t appear to be with the team anymore.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/st ... ing-staff/

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:31 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Of course, B2B, that might be two options more than most teams have when facing Gronk.

Of course, if we don't deploy them, they don't matter.

here's to another season with Matakevich and LJ Fort being the ILB backups and Sean Davis trying to cover Gronk.

Because Tomlin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next