It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matthew Thomas
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 am 

Scunge wrote:
I don't know LakecrestSteeler, seems to me that we have done pretty well in taking players from FSU. Sure, you are not going to have a 100% success rate, what team does drafting players from one school?

Orpheus Roye was a very good player for a long time. He started out as a phenomenal wedge buster on special teams then became a starting DE for us his last two seasons. He had 8 sacks in those 25 starts and Cleveland came in free agency and were offering more than the Steelers could match. Roye would play 13 years and start 128 games.

Chris Hope. He played 11 seasons, started 113 games, made the Pro Bowl in 2008 for Tennessee.

Bryant McFadden. Played 7 seasons, started 51 games, but more importantly he played in 14 playoff games. You remove McFadden from those 2005, 2008 championship postseason runs is that defense the same? Ike Taylor couldn't cover everyone. I remember McFadden doing a great job against Reggie Wayne for example.

Lawerence Timmons. 11 seasons , 140 starts, one Pro Bowl.

Vince Williams. 5 seasons, 33 games started, had 88 tackles and 8 sacks last year for a lowly 6th round pick.

So, yeah, go ahead and try and bring me down with Willie Reid and Alonzo Jackson, big deal. I will take that group of 5 players listed above and gladly take the hit on Reid and Jackson every time.

The thing with Thomas is that if the Steelers had drafted him with that early 5th round pick we had, the media would be falling all over themselves talking about how brilliant a pick it was!! He should have been drafted. Somebody with his athletic ability and production at a big school should never fall out of the draft like that.

I agree with many about this UDFA class. Whether it is Thomas, Gilmore, Henderson, the two corners Summers or Johnson, etc, I could see as many as 3 UDFAs making the team. The past couple seasons, the UDFA class has been underwhelming. Not this year though, Colbert outdid himself, it is like we have 3 years worth of quality UDFAs.

You either exposed the holes in my memory or my crazy expectations from draft picks. I am not expecting hall of famers, but I do find myself thinking they should all be household names or they are busts. I get that is unrealistic, but when I read through the bios, combine numbers, etc.; I am wanting and hoping we get the next household name.

I read the article on Thomas early on and was pretty excited that he might be the next Harrison(Household name) then I went through the FSU names and they did not appear to be household names aside from Timmons. So that was my argument for not getting excited since he was from FSU.

You do point out how exceptionally and unfairly good you have to be in the secondary to be remembered easily. Troy, Lake, Woodson, Blount, and Shell...that is most likely it for my memory if you fast forward 5 years time if I were to venture a bet. Pick most other positions, WR, RB, WR, LB, DL and I can go deep on the history. For the secondary, if your name is getting called it is for the wrong reason, and if it is getting called enough to remember in the secondary your most likely a HOFer either blowing up plays, sacking, or intercepting at record levels.

You bring up another question “what team does have 100% success”? Can anyone think of a team that has more than one HOFer from the same school?

I was thinking if Harrison were to get in, that would be 2 from Kent State. There has to be more examples, but Google did not help. One needs an Excel file from the HOF.

Scunge I hope you did some research on a couple of those names above, if not you have a remarkably insane memory, that demonstrates what realistic expectations and success looks like when drafting from a big name school.

I will cross my fingers and hope Thomas is the next Steel of the century.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am 

I think Tomlin has an attraction or affinity for Florida State players because of his time with Tampa Bay too.

When Tomlin was the defensive backs coach for the Bucs they had on defense:

Dexter Jackson, FS, Florida State
Derrick Brooks, OLB, Florida State
Greg Spires, DE , Florida State

I imagine his time down there he must have developed some contacts and familiarity for Florida St and the University of Florida. You look at the picks in Pouncey, Gilbert, Chris Rainey. I know he liked Keanu Neal (I did too). Tomlin liked Joe Haden back in the day and then we sign him as a free agent last season.

I loved that we were able to sign John L Williams back in the mid-90s. He was a Florida Gator. Ernie Mills was a Florida Gator too. They were on that 1995 team that lost in the Super Bowl. Our punter on that team? Rohn Stark, a Florida St player.

So, yeah, the state of Florida has been pretty good to us with both of those schools providing plenty of good, some great players over the years.

Lake, I do think it is pretty incredible the number of great NFL players that have come out of Kent State. In addition to Jack Lambert and James Harrison, you also had:

Antonio Gates
Julian Edelman
Josh Cribbs
and our very own Rosie Nix who just made the Pro Bowl!

In terms of Thomas, I am crossing my fingers too, we are about due to have another Willie Parker/James Harrison/Ramon Foster/Rosie Nix type of UDFA starter emerge and have an impact.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am 

On the subject of Matthew Thomas, great pickup at UDFA. The kid has a good chance to make the team with his athletic skills. Thomas and Franklin are my defensive and offensive underdogs.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 pm 

Love that they're taking a flyer on Matthew Thomas. Time will tell if he is more Shamarko Thomas, Martavis Bryant, somewhere in between or nowhere near them at all. My fear is he's a combo of Shamarko and Martavis above the neck. Shamarko was very successful at Syracuse even though he lacked in the IQ department. When he got to the NFL he was more than athletically gifted enough to be on the field, but couldn't handle the IQ part of the game. Martavis was the same, but his seemed to be more of maturity/decision making problem than football IQ. My gut tells me that Matthew's deficiencies lie somewhere in between. How else does a guy with crazy athletic talent (for his position) slide all the way out of the draft?

I'm pulling for him and hope he at least has the skillset to follow the plan Tomlin has set out for him. I hope he's the next Shazier. Time will tell, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 pm 

Normal first name -check

Frame - medium

HIG - unknown

Wrist circumference - normal to good

Wonderlic - who cares

Head case - check

Sirrup or weed - unknown

Measurables - good

Tape scrub - in process

Intangibles - yes...mainly an athlete

Floor - Huey Richardson

Ceiling - Jason Worilds

Outlook - “plug and play, diamond in the rough” - STD on his Amish Radio broadcast

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 pm 

Amish radio? Is that like talking into a tin can on a string?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Normal first name -check

Frame - medium

HIG - unknown

Wrist circumference - normal to good

Wonderlic - who cares

Head case - check

Sirrup or weed - unknown

Measurables - good

Tape scrub - in process

Intangibles - yes...mainly an athlete

Floor - Huey Richardson

Ceiling - Jason Worilds

Outlook - “plug and play, diamond in the rough” - STD on his Amish Radio broadcast

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Amish radio? Is that like talking into a tin can on a string?

Actually a little better.....local radio station out of Lancaster PA that has STD on once a week to discuss sports betting (big news), recipes and Steeler football. They typically have callers calling in to sell trade and swap items.....like an online yard sale

I happen to have a clip from the show:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJcbx61Ey8

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm 

https://chopchat.com/2018/05/18/matthew ... -steelers/

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:21 pm 

Thomas, Summers, Patterson and Hendersen are my UDFA's making the 53 this season.

Summers>Sensabaugh

Thomas> Fort

Hendersen>Heyward-Bey

Patterson>Rogers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next