It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matthew Thomas
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

This might be up for debate, but not much.

News flash; Florida State Pittsburgh Steeler lineage is really a dot. Lawrence Timmons and then I think the next most famous person is Weegie Thompson.

I am waiting for the chuckles to die down.

Remember him? The 6’6” Steeler phenom has 11 touchdowns over his illustrious 6 year career.

I will go out on a limb and call bust now on this guy, especially with the glaring loss to Sherman in the broad jump.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

The non-cynical side of me thinks he might be incredible with the tale of the tape, and now the huge chip on his shoulder for not getting drafted and see other putzes getting drafted ahead of him. Sounds like the primordial ooze that births HOFers!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:06 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

I will go out on a limb and call bust now on this guy, especially with the glaring loss to Sherman in the broad jump.

Hahaha -- well, by definition, a team can never "bust" on a UDFA.

I think B2B's point about the measurables is, they don't mean shit in terms of becoming a player. Which is definitely partly true.

Tyler Matakevich's measurables are terrible, and it shows on the field since he looks like molasses out there

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

Bryant McFadden is a Florida State guy and he did very well with the Steelers.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:39 pm 

Vince Williams FSU

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:19 pm 

From the OP linked article...

Quote:
He wasn't just the leading tackler at FSU, Thomas was the best coverage backer. He remained on the field during nickel and dime sets. He can cover slot receivers, do all of what's needed at the position,

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:45 pm 

Like I said not much argument. Vince has not done anything. I figured it would be McFadden. Weegie stuck in my memory more for his name and lack of fulfillment. I couldn’t remember anything remarkable with McFadden really, which is probably par for the course for an average to above average corner in the NFL.

Willie Reid
Alonzo Jackson
Chris Hope
Orpheus Roye
Nat Terry
T.J. Thomas

And the others mentioned above.

I took B2B’s tale of the tape to mean Richard Sherman’s combine numbers were a pretty high bar because of his size and position. I should have used my sarcastic font meaning because he missed the broad jump by a smidge I was tossing B2B’s argument which would be ridiculous. Just assumed that Sherman’s number were a high bar, which I thought is what B2B was saying.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Like I said not much argument. Vince has not done anything. I figured it would be McFadden. Weegie stuck in my memory more for his name and lack of fulfillment. I couldn’t remember anything remarkable with McFadden really, which is probably par for the course for an average to above average corner in the NFL.

Willie Reid
Alonzo Jackson
Chris Hope
Orpheus Roye
Nat Terry
T.J. Thomas

And the others mentioned above.

I took B2B’s tale of the tape to mean Richard Sherman’s combine numbers were a pretty high bar because of his size and position. I should have used my sarcastic font meaning because he missed the broad jump by a smidge I was tossing B2B’s argument which would be ridiculous. Just assumed that Sherman’s number were a high bar, which I thought is what B2B was saying.

I was just pointing out that Thomas's workout numbers were ridiculous for an ILB who was 40lbs heavier than Sherman. It doesn't mean he will be successful-- for instance, there are times where he looks indecisive, which can be the kiss of death--but he's clearly an elite athlete.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm 

I don't know LakecrestSteeler, seems to me that we have done pretty well in taking players from FSU. Sure, you are not going to have a 100% success rate, what team does drafting players from one school?

Orpheus Roye was a very good player for a long time. He started out as a phenomenal wedge buster on special teams then became a starting DE for us his last two seasons. He had 8 sacks in those 25 starts and Cleveland came in free agency and were offering more than the Steelers could match. Roye would play 13 years and start 128 games.

Chris Hope. He played 11 seasons, started 113 games, made the Pro Bowl in 2008 for Tennessee.

Bryant McFadden. Played 7 seasons, started 51 games, but more importantly he played in 14 playoff games. You remove McFadden from those 2005, 2008 championship postseason runs is that defense the same? Ike Taylor couldn't cover everyone. I remember McFadden doing a great job against Reggie Wayne for example.

Lawerence Timmons. 11 seasons , 140 starts, one Pro Bowl.

Vince Williams. 5 seasons, 33 games started, had 88 tackles and 8 sacks last year for a lowly 6th round pick.

So, yeah, go ahead and try and bring me down with Willie Reid and Alonzo Jackson, big deal. I will take that group of 5 players listed above and gladly take the hit on Reid and Jackson every time.

The thing with Thomas is that if the Steelers had drafted him with that early 5th round pick we had, the media would be falling all over themselves talking about how brilliant a pick it was!! He should have been drafted. Somebody with his athletic ability and production at a big school should never fall out of the draft like that.

I agree with many about this UDFA class. Whether it is Thomas, Gilmore, Henderson, the two corners Summers or Johnson, etc, I could see as many as 3 UDFAs making the team. The past couple seasons, the UDFA class has been underwhelming. Not this year though, Colbert outdid himself, it is like we have 3 years worth of quality UDFAs.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:24 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The thing with Thomas is that if the Steelers had drafted him with that early 5th round pick we had, the media would be falling all over themselves talking about how brilliant a pick it was!! He should have been drafted. Somebody with his athletic ability and production at a big school should never fall out of the draft like that.

That is the truth. If we chose Thomas over the PSU safety, everyone would've said our draft was so much better since we addressed the hole at ILB.

Im amazed this kid wasn't drafted -- his personal issues don't seem like the kind of thing that goes to character (ie Joe Mixon slugging his GF in the mouth) - seems like his personal issues can be resolved. I'm excited to see what he can do on the field.

Also - great summary of past Steelers FSU players -- all great points

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next