It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ticketmaster waiting list scramble
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:41 pm 

My two today cost me total of $292 for Steelers-Falcons....endzone, about halfway up. I don't feel particularly ripped off. I'll park in town for $9.

Now....probably spend another hundred for beers/bourbon pre-game at Grille 36, and in stadium.

All said though, I'm okay with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Quote:
For the record....I ain't bitchin'.

Didn’t think you were. Wasn’t directing my comments at you.

Nobody likes paying stupid fees. Myself included.

Reality however is that the cost of life will always go up, not down. Things can only be made cheaper if someone else subsidizes the cost.

So the solution really is to figure out how you can earn more rather than pay less. Obviously find deals where you can but the things we do in life cost money as well as create the opportunity for somebody or some business to exploit our desire for entertainment.

My point was that at the least, we are free to decide whether or not we want to patronize the business or service.

That choice isn’t given when it comes to what gets taken from us.

And many of the people that support those who want to take more are the same people complaining about a service fee they were free not to pay.

Just rambling.

I had a few too many one night and bought some tix for my wife for a band I really didn’t want to see and the next day was like WTF did I just blow $700+ on...

I know I got the shaft but it’s the reality of seeing a live show.

Want good seats then be prepared to get shafted.

Still have a choice though.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:52 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
My two today cost me total of $292 for Steelers-Falcons....endzone, about halfway up. I don't feel particularly ripped off. I'll park in town for $9.

Now....probably spend another hundred for beers/bourbon pre-game at Grille 36, and in stadium.

All said though, I'm okay with it.

Last time we went we stayed across the bridges at the hotels and just walked across. Better than driving and parking.

Especially with the restricted tailgating now days.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 pm 

Quote:
When did this shit get so damned expensive.

Bout the time these bands realize they are old and only have a few more go around before it’s all done for them.

The Stones can get away with charging big bucks to see some old ass men up on stage.

Slayer, not so much.

I hear ya though. I remember paying like $20 (maybe not even that much) to see Slayer at the El Dorado Saloon in Sacramento back in the late 80s.

The good ole days.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 am 

So why the hell doesn't a ticketing service come around that only charges 2-3% service fee for having your tickets emailed to you? Or does it already exist somewhere? Take something that's already been invented and make it better/less expensive.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:34 am 

[quote="COR-TEN"]Not to be judgmental or critical, but I'm sure you all know the reason the fees are "exorbitant" is because people like you keep paying them.

It's the same reason they keep making the seats smaller and closer together on airplanes, and create price points based on "access" to the front of the cabin. Or paying $800 for a smart phone/ tablet every year that has unbelievable margins unheard of in other industries.

In addition to a nation wide labor strike, there should be a nation wide boycott of select services/ products. Should be at least two weekends a month.[/quote

We're political opposites, and I agree with you 100% on this.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am 

R S wrote:
So why the hell doesn't a ticketing service come around that only charges 2-3% service fee for having your tickets emailed to you? Or does it already exist somewhere? Take something that's already been invented and make it better/less expensive.

The problem, as I understand it (but do I understand it?), is that Ticketmaster has exclusive contracts with all the major venues and all the major promoters. Ticketmaster probably pays out the ying yang for the rights and thus major venues probably have no incentive to contract with any other company that would charge less.

Any show you want to see that is at a major venue is probably contractually obligated (for a long time) to sell tickets via Ticketmaster. This is why Pearl Jam fell flat on its face when taking on Ticketmaster.

The only alternative for big acts is to find alternative venues...a very hard thing to do.

Essentially, Ticketmaster is a monopoly (I don't care whether they meet the legal conditions for this or not). The gubment should step in and break their ass.

Then again, Ticketmaster or not, I'm not about to shell out $200 to see the shell formerly known as Metallica or whatever. I'm hitting the local club to see Durand Jones on the cheap instead. 8-)

My wife and I paid out the ass to attend the Ravens-Steelers playoff game in 2010, AB's helmet catch breakout party. It was totally worth it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:59 am 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

The problem, as I understand it (but do I understand it?), is that Ticketmaster has exclusive contracts with all the major venues and all the major promoters. Ticketmaster probably pays out the ying yang for the rights and thus major venues probably have no incentive to contract with any other company that would charge less.

Any show you want to see that is at a major venue is probably contractually obligated (for a long time) to sell tickets via Ticketmaster. This is why Pearl Jam fell flat on its face when taking on Ticketmaster.

The only alternative for big acts is to find alternative venues...a very hard thing to do.

Essentially, Ticketmaster is a monopoly (I don't care whether they meet the legal conditions for this or not). The gubment should step in and break their ass.

Then again, Ticketmaster or not, I'm not about to shell out $200 to see the shell formerly known as Metallica or whatever. I'm hitting the local club to see Durand Jones on the cheap instead. 8-)

My wife and I paid out the ass to attend the Ravens-Steelers playoff game in 2010, AB's helmet catch breakout party. It was totally worth it.

That game was a perfect example of the advantage of being a wait-lister. I paid about $115 for a ticket in Section 534 (around 45 yard line), Row M. Because alot of season-ticket holders, for some reason, don't buy their playoff tix, can get better seats for playoffs than for regular season. And that game brought this great moment....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNuh3MioLgU

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 am 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

It's called skimming by the middle man. Almost the same as extortion or loan sharking. It creates cash out of thin air, and consumers cough up the fees with little choice. There is really no need nowadays for ticketmaster. The travel agency industry took the hit when the internet made it possible to sell tickets online. Airlines realized they could make more money by using algorithms on travel websites like kayak or expedia to have one pay three times as much for the same seat on the same flight as the next guy. But it does fill airplanes, especially when they grounded 30% of their fleet after 9-11.

Real estate industry is the same. Unfortunately, the real estate lobby - one of the top 5 iirc - makes it impossible engage in FSBO (for sale by owner). If you want an agent to sell your home, great. Help yourself to forking over 6% in fees for little work. But they've lobbied to make it as difficult as possible to sell on your own. They've lobbied to make it illegal for agents to offer a chinese menu to homeowners so they can get exposure through listing services, and most agents wont even deal with a FSBO, even if they get their 3%. I fucking hate the real estate industry. Big scam. It's not rocket surgery, but they make it sound like it is. It's all about exposure, and they have a monopoly on it. And we all just accept it like sheep.

The middle man is part and parcel to capitalism and the american DNA.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

That game was a perfect example of the advantage of being a wait-lister. I paid about $115 for a ticket in Section 534 (around 45 yard line), Row M. Because alot of season-ticket holders, for some reason, don't buy their playoff tix, can get better seats for playoffs than for regular season. And that game brought this great moment....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNuh3MioLgU

HAHAHAHAHA

The dude at the 30 something second mark: "YES! YES! YES!"

That fourth quarter was absolutely electric. There are some games that cannot be reduplicated at home on the couch and are way more fun to be at live. That game was one of them. The stadium was fucking ROCKING.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next