Post subject: Re: Ticketmaster waiting list scramble
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:12 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:46 pm 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ceo-of-con ... 1525878000

Realize this isn't a concert thread, but relevant

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm 

Was odd this year. Am I mistaken, or was the pricing different depending on the game. Friend of mine paid about $100 per tix for sideline seats for Chargers in December. A couple in end zone for Falcons, Columbus Day Weekend cost $125/per...and yeah, about $42 for fees.

I go cuz it's me and my kid doing a father/son thing. I pick him up, literally on the street in NYC, drive into Pittsburgh...drop his ass back off on 1st Avenue as well....never park the car.

Last year, caught a Penguins game, too

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 pm 

Bought some tickets about a month ago for some band the wife said wanted to see.

Seats were $300 each. When I got the email confirm from ticketmaster I was kinda like WTF why is it over $700??

Well $50 was the “service fee” for each ticket plus taxes which brought what I was expecting to be $600 to over $700.

Is what it is I suppose.

But here is the thing. We all have a choice. We can choose to not go because the fees are excessive or decide the personal value is worth the cost.

In my case, I was essentially charged a 20% commission for what was very limited service.

Think about say a realtor. They charge approx. 3% to 6% ballpark. And while it’s a much bigger purchase, they are actually providing some value and doing stuff that would be not only a headache but also quite time consuming to boot. Throw in the fact if something gets messed up what the ramifications are.

So 3-6% to help people with what will typically be the largest purchase they ever make.

Versus Ticketmaster charging 20% to do next to nothing. They facilitate the transaction. That’s it. It’s all done electronically. There is zero value add.

It would be reasonable for them to charge say a 1-5% fee. 20% is ridiculous.

With that being said, I have the choice of not utilizing their service. I can try to obtain tickets elsewhere or simply choose not to go. And if I do choose to go then I’m making the choice that the cost I’m paying is worth it to me.

These fees are not forced upon me and I’m under no obligation to pay them. So it’s really a case of buyer beware. Value the event enough and you’ll pay the fee. Don’t value it enough and you won’t.

Key here is that the choice still lies with the individual to pay or not pay.

What I find a bit funny about this bitching about fees are some of the people doing it. These are some of the same people that trip over themselves to support politicians that champion raising taxes.

Regardless of what side of the political spectrum you fall on, I think most would agree our government is out of control with its spending. And that spending has essentially zero accountability.

So it just seems a bit funny to see people complaining about paying a $50 service fee on something that is a discretionary item you are in no way forced to spend your money on all the while villianizing people that don’t want to pay EVEN MORE in taxes than they already do. With zero accountability for where their money goes or what it is spent on.

Bitch about a service fee you have full control of paying or not paying while jumping on people that don’t like the government digging even deeper into their pocket.

The irony is comical.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm 

Quote:
Shit is what it is, but you have to admit certain industries have us over a barrel.

Name one single industry that has us “over a barrel” more so than the U.S. Governement.

I can easily tally up how much money goes to them each year.

It’s WAAAAAY more than any of these “evil industries”

I get a kick out of people like Bernie Sanders. Spends his time attacking business that are “stealing” from the people of this county all the while campaigning on raising taxes to steal even more money from these very people.

Last I checked I’ve paid a shit load more money to Uncle Sam than I ever have to Pfizer or Goldman Sachs.

Ticketmaster, as ridiculous as their fee is, doesn’t even register in terms of things I have to complain about. I could easily show up day of event an pay some scalper for tix if I want to roll the dice.

The “slight of hand” trick is a powerful tool. Get people looking over there and they’ll be too busy to look over here.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 pm 

It was just a handful of years ago that being on the season ticket waiting list was awesome. You could pick up to two games per season and get up to four seats together at face price with no fees by dropping a check in the mail. Tickets were about $55 each then. Now I’m paying $155 each with the fees for nosebleeds before $60 to park plus overpriced concessions. Taking my kid and my dad to a game will set me back $600 at a minimum. Add in two hours of traffic into and out of the stadium vs sitting home and watching a 70” high definition tv and the choice is clear. Pretty sure this will be my last game at the stadium and this from a fanatic who always loved going to games

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:20 pm 

I feel your pain. Bought tickets to see Slayer this Sunday [back in April] and the face price was $55. :shock: After the fees and taxes they came to $74 a piece. :o For a Metal show? Really?! Just the taxes and fees incurred was the actual ticket prices back in the 80's/90's. :lol: When did this shit get so damned expensive. My disclaimer. Slayer is retiring at the end of this tour so I had to see them once more. Testament, Anthrax, Lamb of God and Behemoth are also playing. Haven't seen Lamb of God or Behemoth so that'll be a new experience. Anyway, I feel the pain brutha. They got us hooked....

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:22 pm 

955876 wrote:
Bought some tickets about a month ago for some band the wife said wanted to see.

Seats were $300 each. When I got the email confirm from ticketmaster I was kinda like WTF why is it over $700??

Well $50 was the “service fee” for each ticket plus taxes which brought what I was expecting to be $600 to over $700.

Is what it is I suppose.

But here is the thing. We all have a choice. We can choose to not go because the fees are excessive or decide the personal value is worth the cost.

In my case, I was essentially charged a 20% commission for what was very limited service.

Think about say a realtor. They charge approx. 3% to 6% ballpark. And while it’s a much bigger purchase, they are actually providing some value and doing stuff that would be not only a headache but also quite time consuming to boot. Throw in the fact if something gets messed up what the ramifications are.

So 3-6% to help people with what will typically be the largest purchase they ever make.

Versus Ticketmaster charging 20% to do next to nothing. They facilitate the transaction. That’s it. It’s all done electronically. There is zero value add.

It would be reasonable for them to charge say a 1-5% fee. 20% is ridiculous.

With that being said, I have the choice of not utilizing their service. I can try to obtain tickets elsewhere or simply choose not to go. And if I do choose to go then I’m making the choice that the cost I’m paying is worth it to me.

These fees are not forced upon me and I’m under no obligation to pay them. So it’s really a case of buyer beware. Value the event enough and you’ll pay the fee. Don’t value it enough and you won’t.

Key here is that the choice still lies with the individual to pay or not pay.

What I find a bit funny about this bitching about fees are some of the people doing it. These are some of the same people that trip over themselves to support politicians that champion raising taxes.

Regardless of what side of the political spectrum you fall on, I think most would agree our government is out of control with its spending. And that spending has essentially zero accountability.

So it just seems a bit funny to see people complaining about paying a $50 service fee on something that is a discretionary item you are in no way forced to spend your money on all the while villianizing people that don’t want to pay EVEN MORE in taxes than they already do. With zero accountability for where their money goes or what it is spent on.

Bitch about a service fee you have full control of paying or not paying while jumping on people that don’t like the government digging even deeper into their pocket.

The irony is comical.

For the record....I ain't bitchin'.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 pm 

SP wrote:
It was just a handful of years ago that being on the season ticket waiting list was awesome. You could pick up to two games per season and get up to four seats together at face price with no fees by dropping a check in the mail. Tickets were about $55 each then. Now I’m paying $155 each with the fees for nosebleeds before $60 to park plus overpriced concessions. Taking my kid and my dad to a game will set me back $600 at a minimum. Add in two hours of traffic into and out of the stadium vs sitting home and watching a 70” high definition tv and the choice is clear. Pretty sure this will be my last game at the stadium and this from a fanatic who always loved going to games

Perch...all due respect, you know as well as anyone that you can less then ten bucks to park in town.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 pm 

I’m with ya SP when it comes to sporting events. And as I’ve aged it’s gotten worse. What I mean by that is if I’m going to pay to be there and deal with the inconvenience then I am not really going to be happy with the nosebleed type of seats. Why bother? Might as well watch from home. So if I’m going I want good seats.

And those cost $$$

So if seats are $300-$600 a piece plus travel, parking, food, drinks etc you are all of a sudden in for a few thousand dollars if taking a family to the game.

I almost pulled the trigger on 5 tickets, airfare, hotel, rental car, expenses for this most recent playoff game.

Soooo glad I kept the AMEX in pocket the day I was kicking that around.

I’ll take my son to a few baseball games a year but football tix have gotten out of hand.

We live in CA Bay Area so I’ll also take him to a Warriors game or two but realize I’m getting hosed in those tix as well.

At least with those tix I have a reasonable expectation of a W.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:41 pm 

My two today cost me total of $292 for Steelers-Falcons....endzone, about halfway up. I don't feel particularly ripped off. I'll park in town for $9.

Now....probably spend another hundred for beers/bourbon pre-game at Grille 36, and in stadium.

All said though, I'm okay with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Quote:
For the record....I ain't bitchin'.

Didn’t think you were. Wasn’t directing my comments at you.

Nobody likes paying stupid fees. Myself included.

Reality however is that the cost of life will always go up, not down. Things can only be made cheaper if someone else subsidizes the cost.

So the solution really is to figure out how you can earn more rather than pay less. Obviously find deals where you can but the things we do in life cost money as well as create the opportunity for somebody or some business to exploit our desire for entertainment.

My point was that at the least, we are free to decide whether or not we want to patronize the business or service.

That choice isn’t given when it comes to what gets taken from us.

And many of the people that support those who want to take more are the same people complaining about a service fee they were free not to pay.

Just rambling.

I had a few too many one night and bought some tix for my wife for a band I really didn’t want to see and the next day was like WTF did I just blow $700+ on...

I know I got the shaft but it’s the reality of seeing a live show.

Want good seats then be prepared to get shafted.

Still have a choice though.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:52 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
My two today cost me total of $292 for Steelers-Falcons....endzone, about halfway up. I don't feel particularly ripped off. I'll park in town for $9.

Now....probably spend another hundred for beers/bourbon pre-game at Grille 36, and in stadium.

All said though, I'm okay with it.

Last time we went we stayed across the bridges at the hotels and just walked across. Better than driving and parking.

Especially with the restricted tailgating now days.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 pm 

Quote:
When did this shit get so damned expensive.

Bout the time these bands realize they are old and only have a few more go around before it’s all done for them.

The Stones can get away with charging big bucks to see some old ass men up on stage.

Slayer, not so much.

I hear ya though. I remember paying like $20 (maybe not even that much) to see Slayer at the El Dorado Saloon in Sacramento back in the late 80s.

The good ole days.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 am 

So why the hell doesn't a ticketing service come around that only charges 2-3% service fee for having your tickets emailed to you? Or does it already exist somewhere? Take something that's already been invented and make it better/less expensive.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:34 am 

[quote="COR-TEN"]Not to be judgmental or critical, but I'm sure you all know the reason the fees are "exorbitant" is because people like you keep paying them.

It's the same reason they keep making the seats smaller and closer together on airplanes, and create price points based on "access" to the front of the cabin. Or paying $800 for a smart phone/ tablet every year that has unbelievable margins unheard of in other industries.

In addition to a nation wide labor strike, there should be a nation wide boycott of select services/ products. Should be at least two weekends a month.[/quote

We're political opposites, and I agree with you 100% on this.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am 

R S wrote:
So why the hell doesn't a ticketing service come around that only charges 2-3% service fee for having your tickets emailed to you? Or does it already exist somewhere? Take something that's already been invented and make it better/less expensive.

The problem, as I understand it (but do I understand it?), is that Ticketmaster has exclusive contracts with all the major venues and all the major promoters. Ticketmaster probably pays out the ying yang for the rights and thus major venues probably have no incentive to contract with any other company that would charge less.

Any show you want to see that is at a major venue is probably contractually obligated (for a long time) to sell tickets via Ticketmaster. This is why Pearl Jam fell flat on its face when taking on Ticketmaster.

The only alternative for big acts is to find alternative venues...a very hard thing to do.

Essentially, Ticketmaster is a monopoly (I don't care whether they meet the legal conditions for this or not). The gubment should step in and break their ass.

Then again, Ticketmaster or not, I'm not about to shell out $200 to see the shell formerly known as Metallica or whatever. I'm hitting the local club to see Durand Jones on the cheap instead. 8-)

My wife and I paid out the ass to attend the Ravens-Steelers playoff game in 2010, AB's helmet catch breakout party. It was totally worth it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:59 am 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

The problem, as I understand it (but do I understand it?), is that Ticketmaster has exclusive contracts with all the major venues and all the major promoters. Ticketmaster probably pays out the ying yang for the rights and thus major venues probably have no incentive to contract with any other company that would charge less.

Any show you want to see that is at a major venue is probably contractually obligated (for a long time) to sell tickets via Ticketmaster. This is why Pearl Jam fell flat on its face when taking on Ticketmaster.

The only alternative for big acts is to find alternative venues...a very hard thing to do.

Essentially, Ticketmaster is a monopoly (I don't care whether they meet the legal conditions for this or not). The gubment should step in and break their ass.

Then again, Ticketmaster or not, I'm not about to shell out $200 to see the shell formerly known as Metallica or whatever. I'm hitting the local club to see Durand Jones on the cheap instead. 8-)

My wife and I paid out the ass to attend the Ravens-Steelers playoff game in 2010, AB's helmet catch breakout party. It was totally worth it.

That game was a perfect example of the advantage of being a wait-lister. I paid about $115 for a ticket in Section 534 (around 45 yard line), Row M. Because alot of season-ticket holders, for some reason, don't buy their playoff tix, can get better seats for playoffs than for regular season. And that game brought this great moment....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNuh3MioLgU

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 am 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

It's called skimming by the middle man. Almost the same as extortion or loan sharking. It creates cash out of thin air, and consumers cough up the fees with little choice. There is really no need nowadays for ticketmaster. The travel agency industry took the hit when the internet made it possible to sell tickets online. Airlines realized they could make more money by using algorithms on travel websites like kayak or expedia to have one pay three times as much for the same seat on the same flight as the next guy. But it does fill airplanes, especially when they grounded 30% of their fleet after 9-11.

Real estate industry is the same. Unfortunately, the real estate lobby - one of the top 5 iirc - makes it impossible engage in FSBO (for sale by owner). If you want an agent to sell your home, great. Help yourself to forking over 6% in fees for little work. But they've lobbied to make it as difficult as possible to sell on your own. They've lobbied to make it illegal for agents to offer a chinese menu to homeowners so they can get exposure through listing services, and most agents wont even deal with a FSBO, even if they get their 3%. I fucking hate the real estate industry. Big scam. It's not rocket surgery, but they make it sound like it is. It's all about exposure, and they have a monopoly on it. And we all just accept it like sheep.

The middle man is part and parcel to capitalism and the american DNA.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

That game was a perfect example of the advantage of being a wait-lister. I paid about $115 for a ticket in Section 534 (around 45 yard line), Row M. Because alot of season-ticket holders, for some reason, don't buy their playoff tix, can get better seats for playoffs than for regular season. And that game brought this great moment....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNuh3MioLgU

HAHAHAHAHA

The dude at the 30 something second mark: "YES! YES! YES!"

That fourth quarter was absolutely electric. There are some games that cannot be reduplicated at home on the couch and are way more fun to be at live. That game was one of them. The stadium was fucking ROCKING.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm 

Quote:
I fucking hate the real estate industry. Big scam. It's not rocket surgery, but they make it sound like it is. It's all about exposure, and they have a monopoly on it. And we all just accept it like sheep.

The middle man is part and parcel to capitalism and the american DNA.

Ah the Cor-Ten capitalism dig.

The amount of irony in your post is quite funny.

First, let’s break down this “hate” of the real estate industry. Seems odd to have such strong feelings towards an industry such as that. While I agree it isn’t “rocket science”, there are still many steps and a good realtor does make things go more smoothly. You are paying for a service. The value of that service can be debated. I don’t like paying anymore than you do but can at least recognize there is some value add to what they provide.

Ended up in a situation a few years ago where I needed to sell my home quickly. Found a realator and told her I don’t need top dollar as much as I need first dollar. Get me an offer.

She told me the stuff she wanted done to the house, gave me a couple weeks to take care of it then held an open house. Got an offer and sold home that weekend. She was invaluable to me and my situation at the time. Now at this point I don’t recall if I paid her 4, 5, or 6%. Didn’t like paying it but the value she provided offset it for me.

And about a year and a half later I used her again. This time as the buyer rather than seller. And I didn’t have to pay her a dime and used far more of her time than I did when she was selling for me.

So if I had to pay say 5% as the seller but nothing as the buyer it really works out to be a 2.5% commission each way. Now whether that is still too high or not is open for debate but it brings things in more perspective.

You can negaotiate a realator down to say 3%. So you are now at 1.5% for their service each way.

Is that still high enough for you to “hate” the industry so strongly?

Did a realator screw you over once?

Otherwise, how often does the average person really need their services? A small handful of times in their lives? For some maybe only twice? Others 4-5?

A service you are still completely free to choose not to use yet you still hate so much?

And yet on the other hand you strongly support the policy of further taxation on any and all income EARNED by people with next to zero accountability for who, what, where, how, and how much they spend it on.

Worse still, they are in your pocket each and every time money hits that pocket. Matter of fact, they have such a nice gig the system allows them to be first in line. They get our money before we do.

But you no care. Thank you sir may I have another.

All the while “fucking hating” realtors. Someone who might get in your pocket but only a few times over a lifetime.

That’s the irony I find a bit amusing. I’m no different than you or anyone else in terms of having to pay for stuff that just gets more and more expensive. The difference between us however is that I see who the bigger thief is.

You are worried about the boogeyman taking a few bucks out of your wallet all the while ignoring the one draining your bank account.

I’ve paid the powers that be more in taxes already this year than I paid in commission to my realtor. I’m all square with her. Still got a lifetime of servitude to the other.

Maybe we should just eliminate the real estate industry. Never mind the job loss. Just fill out a few government mandated forms and your house can be sold. Pay us the fee instead and we will rid you of those evil realtors stealing from you.

But then, we could play that game all day. With essentially any industry.

What you are left with is one big player left in town. And guess who that one player is?

I’m sure visions of utopia are now dancing in your head...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:07 pm 

First of all, I only saw your response because I logged out. I have you blocked. Do you have reading comprehension issues? Where did I say government control of real estate is desired? I won’t bother to repeat what you plainly didn’t understand in the first place. As I’ve said before, just put me on your ignore list. You won’t get your panties in a twist at the mere mention of capitalism and its problems.

And I challenge you to cite a single post of mine where I promote or support "more taxes” on earned income. You made that up based on a fabricated conservative liberal stereotype. Further, you like to paint everybody with the same brush if they express a single liberal idea or criticize your beloved country and/ or its artificial economic caste system. Generalize much? Or more accurately, you seem to have a man crush on me, as you can’t let anything critical I say go without trying to dispute it and insult me.

The rest of your post was just drivel. Respond with another three post wall of stupidity if you like. I won’t be reading it.

Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:21 pm 

Quote:
And I challenge you to cite a single post of mine where I promote or support "more taxes” on earned income

It’s your support of those that champion it. Duh.

It’s also your anti-capitalism rants that have no place here.

I post what I do to point out some I the flaws in your own logic.

IE I hate an industry that only takes from me IF I allow them to and at my own negotiates price vs being in support of those that want to take even more of your hard earned dollars with no checks & balances.

You are looking out for one wolf that will eat one chicken all the while allowing the rest of the pack into your hen house.

That is all. I’ve made the point I wanted to make withbyou.

Lastly, your contempt of the things you despise so much wreaks of jealousy moreso than simply displaying a strong opinion of the issue at hand.

Especially given your own conflicting opinions of such things.

Last edited by 955876 on Sat May 12, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:12 pm 

Quote:
Further, you like to paint everybody with the same brush if they express a single liberal idea or criticize your beloved country and/ or its artificial economic caste system. Generalize much? Or more accurately, you seem to have a man crush on me, as you can’t let anything critical I say go without trying to dispute it and insult me.

Actually, I haven’t painted you with any brush. You’ve done that all on your own with the countless times you’ve shaken your fist at the sky here over capitalism or anything else entrepreneurial in nature.

And I don’t respond because what you post gets my panties in a bunch. I do so because I actually enjoy taking apart some of the things you post.

It is you with the bunched panties. Shaking fist at sky over the “fucking real estate industry”.

I just find that amusing. How much interaction have you had with said industry to derive such hate?

I guess in the end it’s just your type I find myself in opposition to. Maybe I’m paining with a brush here some now. Maybe not.

I certainly could do a better job of not responding. But then, you could also do a much better job of not shaking your fist at the sky at so many of the very things that provide so much to so many.

I’ll leave you be.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:25 pm 

I use to snatch up tickets the second they were offered.

I keep scrolling thru these games/tickets and I have pulled the trigger yet.