It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ticketmaster waiting list scramble
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:12 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:46 pm 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ceo-of-con ... 1525878000

Realize this isn't a concert thread, but relevant

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm 

Was odd this year. Am I mistaken, or was the pricing different depending on the game. Friend of mine paid about $100 per tix for sideline seats for Chargers in December. A couple in end zone for Falcons, Columbus Day Weekend cost $125/per...and yeah, about $42 for fees.

I go cuz it's me and my kid doing a father/son thing. I pick him up, literally on the street in NYC, drive into Pittsburgh...drop his ass back off on 1st Avenue as well....never park the car.

Last year, caught a Penguins game, too

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 pm 

Bought some tickets about a month ago for some band the wife said wanted to see.

Seats were $300 each. When I got the email confirm from ticketmaster I was kinda like WTF why is it over $700??

Well $50 was the “service fee” for each ticket plus taxes which brought what I was expecting to be $600 to over $700.

Is what it is I suppose.

But here is the thing. We all have a choice. We can choose to not go because the fees are excessive or decide the personal value is worth the cost.

In my case, I was essentially charged a 20% commission for what was very limited service.

Think about say a realtor. They charge approx. 3% to 6% ballpark. And while it’s a much bigger purchase, they are actually providing some value and doing stuff that would be not only a headache but also quite time consuming to boot. Throw in the fact if something gets messed up what the ramifications are.

So 3-6% to help people with what will typically be the largest purchase they ever make.

Versus Ticketmaster charging 20% to do next to nothing. They facilitate the transaction. That’s it. It’s all done electronically. There is zero value add.

It would be reasonable for them to charge say a 1-5% fee. 20% is ridiculous.

With that being said, I have the choice of not utilizing their service. I can try to obtain tickets elsewhere or simply choose not to go. And if I do choose to go then I’m making the choice that the cost I’m paying is worth it to me.

These fees are not forced upon me and I’m under no obligation to pay them. So it’s really a case of buyer beware. Value the event enough and you’ll pay the fee. Don’t value it enough and you won’t.

Key here is that the choice still lies with the individual to pay or not pay.

What I find a bit funny about this bitching about fees are some of the people doing it. These are some of the same people that trip over themselves to support politicians that champion raising taxes.

Regardless of what side of the political spectrum you fall on, I think most would agree our government is out of control with its spending. And that spending has essentially zero accountability.

So it just seems a bit funny to see people complaining about paying a $50 service fee on something that is a discretionary item you are in no way forced to spend your money on all the while villianizing people that don’t want to pay EVEN MORE in taxes than they already do. With zero accountability for where their money goes or what it is spent on.

Bitch about a service fee you have full control of paying or not paying while jumping on people that don’t like the government digging even deeper into their pocket.

The irony is comical.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm 

Quote:
Shit is what it is, but you have to admit certain industries have us over a barrel.

Name one single industry that has us “over a barrel” more so than the U.S. Governement.

I can easily tally up how much money goes to them each year.

It’s WAAAAAY more than any of these “evil industries”

I get a kick out of people like Bernie Sanders. Spends his time attacking business that are “stealing” from the people of this county all the while campaigning on raising taxes to steal even more money from these very people.

Last I checked I’ve paid a shit load more money to Uncle Sam than I ever have to Pfizer or Goldman Sachs.

Ticketmaster, as ridiculous as their fee is, doesn’t even register in terms of things I have to complain about. I could easily show up day of event an pay some scalper for tix if I want to roll the dice.

The “slight of hand” trick is a powerful tool. Get people looking over there and they’ll be too busy to look over here.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 pm 

It was just a handful of years ago that being on the season ticket waiting list was awesome. You could pick up to two games per season and get up to four seats together at face price with no fees by dropping a check in the mail. Tickets were about $55 each then. Now I’m paying $155 each with the fees for nosebleeds before $60 to park plus overpriced concessions. Taking my kid and my dad to a game will set me back $600 at a minimum. Add in two hours of traffic into and out of the stadium vs sitting home and watching a 70” high definition tv and the choice is clear. Pretty sure this will be my last game at the stadium and this from a fanatic who always loved going to games

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:20 pm 

I feel your pain. Bought tickets to see Slayer this Sunday [back in April] and the face price was $55. :shock: After the fees and taxes they came to $74 a piece. :o For a Metal show? Really?! Just the taxes and fees incurred was the actual ticket prices back in the 80's/90's. :lol: When did this shit get so damned expensive. My disclaimer. Slayer is retiring at the end of this tour so I had to see them once more. Testament, Anthrax, Lamb of God and Behemoth are also playing. Haven't seen Lamb of God or Behemoth so that'll be a new experience. Anyway, I feel the pain brutha. They got us hooked....

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:22 pm 

955876 wrote:
Bought some tickets about a month ago for some band the wife said wanted to see.

Seats were $300 each. When I got the email confirm from ticketmaster I was kinda like WTF why is it over $700??

Well $50 was the “service fee” for each ticket plus taxes which brought what I was expecting to be $600 to over $700.

Is what it is I suppose.

But here is the thing. We all have a choice. We can choose to not go because the fees are excessive or decide the personal value is worth the cost.

In my case, I was essentially charged a 20% commission for what was very limited service.

Think about say a realtor. They charge approx. 3% to 6% ballpark. And while it’s a much bigger purchase, they are actually providing some value and doing stuff that would be not only a headache but also quite time consuming to boot. Throw in the fact if something gets messed up what the ramifications are.

So 3-6% to help people with what will typically be the largest purchase they ever make.

Versus Ticketmaster charging 20% to do next to nothing. They facilitate the transaction. That’s it. It’s all done electronically. There is zero value add.

It would be reasonable for them to charge say a 1-5% fee. 20% is ridiculous.

With that being said, I have the choice of not utilizing their service. I can try to obtain tickets elsewhere or simply choose not to go. And if I do choose to go then I’m making the choice that the cost I’m paying is worth it to me.

These fees are not forced upon me and I’m under no obligation to pay them. So it’s really a case of buyer beware. Value the event enough and you’ll pay the fee. Don’t value it enough and you won’t.

Key here is that the choice still lies with the individual to pay or not pay.

What I find a bit funny about this bitching about fees are some of the people doing it. These are some of the same people that trip over themselves to support politicians that champion raising taxes.

Regardless of what side of the political spectrum you fall on, I think most would agree our government is out of control with its spending. And that spending has essentially zero accountability.

So it just seems a bit funny to see people complaining about paying a $50 service fee on something that is a discretionary item you are in no way forced to spend your money on all the while villianizing people that don’t want to pay EVEN MORE in taxes than they already do. With zero accountability for where their money goes or what it is spent on.

Bitch about a service fee you have full control of paying or not paying while jumping on people that don’t like the government digging even deeper into their pocket.

The irony is comical.

For the record....I ain't bitchin'.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 pm 

SP wrote:
It was just a handful of years ago that being on the season ticket waiting list was awesome. You could pick up to two games per season and get up to four seats together at face price with no fees by dropping a check in the mail. Tickets were about $55 each then. Now I’m paying $155 each with the fees for nosebleeds before $60 to park plus overpriced concessions. Taking my kid and my dad to a game will set me back $600 at a minimum. Add in two hours of traffic into and out of the stadium vs sitting home and watching a 70” high definition tv and the choice is clear. Pretty sure this will be my last game at the stadium and this from a fanatic who always loved going to games

Perch...all due respect, you know as well as anyone that you can less then ten bucks to park in town.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 pm 

I’m with ya SP when it comes to sporting events. And as I’ve aged it’s gotten worse. What I mean by that is if I’m going to pay to be there and deal with the inconvenience then I am not really going to be happy with the nosebleed type of seats. Why bother? Might as well watch from home. So if I’m going I want good seats.

And those cost $$$

So if seats are $300-$600 a piece plus travel, parking, food, drinks etc you are all of a sudden in for a few thousand dollars if taking a family to the game.

I almost pulled the trigger on 5 tickets, airfare, hotel, rental car, expenses for this most recent playoff game.

Soooo glad I kept the AMEX in pocket the day I was kicking that around.

I’ll take my son to a few baseball games a year but football tix have gotten out of hand.

We live in CA Bay Area so I’ll also take him to a Warriors game or two but realize I’m getting hosed in those tix as well.

At least with those tix I have a reasonable expectation of a W.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next