It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomlin is not Brad Stevens
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 pm 

I'm looking forward to a good season, one in which we can legitimately challenge for a super bowl. But if you want to go negative before mini-camp starts, knock yourself out.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:25 am 

The best way to tolerate Tomlin is to be a Buddhist.

Do not be made miserable by high expectations.

Then if by some miracle, he succeeds, then we will be pleasantly surprised and the joy will be even greater.

Which is one of the reasons the Penguins 2016 and 17 seasons were so enjoyable.

And why Celtics fans are happy now even if they go no further.

You see it is my spiritual duty here to remind us all of Tomlin's Magooness.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
The best way to tolerate Tomlin is to be a Buddhist.

Do not be made miserable by high expectations.

Then if by some miracle, he succeeds, then we will be pleasantly surprised and the joy will be even greater.

Which is one of the reasons the Penguins 2016 and 17 seasons were so enjoyable.

And why Celtics fans are happy now even if they go no further.

You see it is my spiritual duty here to remind us all of Tomlin's Magooness.

Why do you hate Western values so much, Dan? And why by embracing Buddhism do you hate the Western prioritization of the self?

Surely you meant to say that one should be a Stoic. A proper Roman, conservative philosophy that would achieve the same result.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:22 pm 

A good Western scholar always incorporates Eastern or third world practices and values that make sense, and Buddhism is certainly something more Americans with high expectations can use. Schopenhauer certainly was influenced by Buddhism. R. Strauss by Zoroastrianism, and because of that we have the great dawn of man sequence in 2001 A Space Odyssey.

While I am down with freedom from expectations, the one issue I do have is freedom from desire. Desire is often a very good thing and makes the world better through invention, which springs from desire of easier and better. So I am not free from desire nor do I want to be. So I think that part of the Buddhist cannot doesn't quite add up in terms of making the world better or people happier.

Stoicism is always worthwhile periodically and I do practice extended fasting. But my take on that is once the fast ends, it's epicurean time. It makes the food that much better. Happiness is about acceleration, not velocity. I'm more into cyclic application of the two rather than either alone, which I think our paleo psychology and physiology are really designed for. (Moonwatcher the protohuman in 2001 would feast-fast, kill his enemies at the watering hole (after the obelisk awarded him the tool advantage), then rest, gather-then fuck his brains out). To everything, turn, turn turn...wait I'm getting Western again by quoting the Byrds and Ecclesiastes.

Anyway, my point is, don't count on Tomlin. I think Moonwatcher was better at situational play calling and clock management.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm 

It’s a new season. Tomlin has a clean slate with me. For now.

Will judge based on what he “puts on tape” moving forward.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:56 am 

955876 wrote:
It’s a new season. Tomlin has a clean slate with me. For now.

Will judge based on what he “puts on tape” moving forward.

Tomlin has a “clean” slate with me too... He’s an arrogant, pompous, and condescending Jackass. A horrendous game and personnel manager. A certified, underachieving, overpaid LOSER who has personally cost the Steelers as least 2 more championships. However if he hoists the Lombardi in February I’ll apologize. Good night. Oh and nice thread!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am 

I really enjoyed watching the Celtics play last game. It was fantastic team basketball. Made me wish I had been watching them the entire playoffs.

On the opposite end of that spectrum... the Rockets played terrible team basketball in game 1. It was painful to watch.

The rockets played well together as a unit on offense in game 2. Not much of James Harden brain dead dribbling around with his head up his ass until 2 or 3 seconds left in the shot clock and then throwing a pass in desperation like he did in game 1. I still expect the Warriors to win the series although there might be questions about Curry's health. Warriors have 3 players (not speaking of role players) that shoot the ball better than Harden (if Curry is healthy) and the Warriors have the most gifted player on the floor in this series (Durant).

Warriors played game 2 like a team that did not need that game. They got what they needed coming out of Houston taking game 1.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am 

There is a whole Other Sports forum to talk about the NBA. When threads get updated, people waste their time clicking on them. Yes, I have Dan Smith on ignore, but that's just the poster that started it. Start an NBA playoffs thread where it belongs. Not even a Pittsburgh team in the damn league.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:33 pm 

Pittsburgh in fact has a rich pro basketball history including championships by the Pipers and the Pisces. I remember every detail of that glorious 1979 season.

The coach of the Pittsburgh Pisces was a better clock manager than Tomlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXjHtW14g0

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 pm 

Yeah as it is indeed about being a better clock manager. No matter what sport it is.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 pm 

I'm a Celtics fan. Stevens is a wizard. He's the reason I still follow the sport.

In his short career, Stevens has polished about a dozen turds to the point where Danny Ainge traded them for double their value (or more). Evan Turner should tithe 20% of his free agency salary to Saint Brad.

Now the team has talent but it's very, very young........ and Stevens is still wildly overachieving. NBA coaching is about 25% as important as NFL coaching. Talent wins in the NBA 90%+ of the time. Stevens has two future All-NBA talents playing six years ahead of schedule. He has two limited role players (Smart and Rozier) changing games. He has a heady but undersized and aging big man not only playing the best ball of his career, but dominating superior talents. The rest of the team are discards that look like solid pieces now. Brad puts his men in a position to suceed.

I'm sick of watching Tomlin lose with the better players. He's worse than Cowher. Tomlin has a QB.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:21 am 

Could not agree more Tunch...