It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ben says he wants to play 3-5 more years
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:58 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Ben is coming off one of the greatest performances of his career. Arguably 3 top 15-20 plays in his entire career came in his last game against the best D in football.

Dude is far from finished. Have a feeling he's going to feast next season.

From week 6 onwards, (coincidentally right about the time they tried to get Haley off the sideline and brought Fichtner down) he was a stud. 277-424 65.3% 3451 8.14YPA 27/8 103.8 rating

The 8.14 YPA is beastly. More of that, please.

Looking for a big year from Ben and hopefully great things from our new OC.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:10 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Ben is coming off one of the greatest performances of his career. Arguably 3 top 15-20 plays in his entire career came in his last game against the best D in football.

From week 6 onwards, (coincidentally right about the time they tried to get Haley off the sideline and brought Fichtner down) he was a stud. 277-424 65.3% 3451 8.14YPA 27/8 103.8 rating

Not so coincidentally.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:

Not so coincidentally.

Looks like Jeemie has competition for the highly coveted Hall Monitor position at Steelerfury.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm 

Kay Adams thinks the Rudolph drafting will be beneficial for both the team and Ben. Listen....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning- ... on-Rudolph

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:38 pm 

I listened. I doubt the presence of Rudolph is going to "benefit" Ben this season. Down the road... who knows.

This season, I expect Ben to benefit from having a 2nd year JuJu, the rook Washington, and new OC Fichtner.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 pm 

If a 15 year veteran QB that hasn’t won shit of any significance in a decade while losing to the likes of Tim Tebow & Blake Bortles in the postseason needs a rookie QB to “motivate” him we might as well trade him now and start that rookie QB.

I doubt this is the case.

Seems more like babble from writers that need shit to babble about to justify their existence.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:02 pm 

955876 wrote:
If a 15 year veteran QB that hasn’t won shit of any significance in a decade while losing to the likes of Tim Tebow & Blake Bortles in the postseason needs a rookie QB to “motivate” him we might as well trade him now and start that rookie QB.

I doubt this is the case.

Seems more like babble from writers that need shit to babble about to justify their existence.

No predraft hype, months till preseason. Material is scarce.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:17 pm 

Most likely...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 pm 

Thought it to be outrageous as well. Almost felt insulted for the team and Ben watching her go through her monologue about all the greats that were inspired by the new guy. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:35 pm 

I don't know. I do think Rudolph, the drafting of Rudolph will have an impact on Ben. We know it pissed him off. We know he won't be spouting off about retiring anytime soon like he has been the past couple seasons.

Say what you want but I love that they drafted a real prospect. This is not a washed up veteran, a former starter looking for a cushy backup job like Charlie Batch or Bryron Leftwich. This is not Landry Jones who is too nice and meek, where is his drive and ambition?

I want my backup QB to be (A) a young prospect, drafted in rounds 3 or 4 with actual talent, and (B) to actually have some balls, some swagger, some damn confidence! Now whether Rudolph has the arm talent to actually become our next franchise QB, well, will start to learn that pretty quickly when the preseason games start. I do know that I am fairly confident that this kid has the mental makeup, the character and the self confidence in spades.

And for those that dismiss the notion that players, starters need motivation or need to be inspired, look to last season as an example.

Everyone said that the WR corps were set. With Brown, Bryant returning, Coates, Rogers, why the hell did the Steelers need to draft a WR in round 2? That pick was unnecessary. What a waste of resources, blah, blah, blah.

Those WRs showed their immaturity, they took to social media proclaiming that JuJu was drafted to take this WRs job. Many pundits in the media thought the pick was asinine, how would JuJu even see the field? Wouldn't he be deactivated each game? Funny, Coates is traded, Bryant and Rogers play like shit and JuJu gets on the field and gobbles up snaps and never gives Rogers a chance to catch up until late in the year. Bryant and Rogers did start to play better towards the end of the year but only after their pride took a hit and they had to learn how to put hard work in again. They got complacent, they were guilty of reading their press clippings and thinking that they had arrived, that all they had to do was show up and the other team would be quaking in their boots. But a JuJu, a young, hungry, ambitious rookie was able to slap these idiots up side the head and prove to them that the NFL really does stand for Not For Long.

For those that think, well Ben is a great player, sure, but he seems to have a problem putting together a complete season. Either he starts off strong and then peters out, or he starts out slow and then plays great at the end pushing for the playoffs. I remember one season where he was completing 73% of his passes at the halfway point and then it all just fell off to merely good levels. He was having an MVP season and then it just all unraveled. This past season, we start off slowly and then get hot at the end. But it is those slow starts that are killing us in terms of getting the first seed, of playing all of our playoff games at home.

Sorry, but if I am the Steelers, if I am Tomlin I make Rudolph the #2 QB. What's that Ben, you want to take a day off of practice this week (like he has been doing the past couple seasons like clockwork), sure go right ahead, Mason will enjoy getting the extra snaps in practice. You really think Ben will be as nonchalant about taking extra days off in practice this year with Rudolph as the #2 QB? You think that if Rudolph were the #2 QB and Ben has another game where he throws 5 INTs, that Tomlin wouldn't yank Ben after the 4th INT and give Rudolph a chance in relief?

This is not a matter of two dogs one bone as Tomlin had with Sanders and Brown, but having Rudolph as the #2, having Ben out of his comfort zone, forcing Ben to put in the full work in practice will make a difference. Maybe we don't start out the season slow, maybe we don't lose that game or two that costs us a chance for that first overall seed.

This needed to happen (the drafting of Rudolph) and unfortunately, this is exactly what they needed to do with Bell. Bell is going to wait until days before the season starts, he waited until September to sign his franchise tender and will do the same this year. But, if they had drafted a RB high, 1st or 2nd round, Bell would not have waited to sign that tender, he would have signed it immediately and been in camp quicker. Why? Because Bell wouldn't know for certain if the Steelers would rescind the tag. And with a high round draft pick, a rookie RB what guarantee is there that he will get the snaps that he is accustomed to? Maybe the Steelers decide to go with a two back attack, like NO has with Ingram and Kamara, or the Falcons have with Coleman and Freeman. If they did that, if Bell had less carries, less catches, then he does not put up that stellar production heading into free agency. So, you sign the tender quick and you get in camp to fend off that rookie RB from getting too comfortable. Ben and Bell had all the power because the Steelers had no real prospects behind them, those players can be smug and cocky and do and say anything they want with no fear or repercussions.

If the Steelers want to extend Ben it certainly is not going to be some huge number. If Ben thinks he is going to get some $25-30 million per year extension he is crazy. The Steelers now have leverage, they can say, hey Ben, this is the money and the years we are offering, if you don't care for it, well, good luck to you we are moving forward with Rudolph. The drafting of Rudolph allows the Steelers to lowball Ben and give themselves more money to build the team elsewhere, defense, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next