It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm 

I am still disappointed that one of the worst linebacking units in the NFL was completely ignored in the draft.
Another year of watching Bud Dupree get pancaked by the ball boy.
I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but I'd sign Derrick Johnson.
His leadership alone makes him worth a look.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm 

Well, it was reported that trading Bryant actually cleared $1.35 million as well. Cutting Wilcox was $3.125 million.

So, 1.35 + 3.125 = $4.425 million in cap relief, of course with displacement, two players taking their place of the top 51 and that amount is probably some $3.3 million.

Yeah, now is not the time to be rummaging through the garbage yet, the teams have not even put their trash out on the street yet, if you catch my meaning.

Like last year it takes some time for teams to see what they have from their draft class, mini camp, some OTAs and then they reevaluate their rosters and then you see some vets start to be cut or become available. Like with the 49ers when they drafted George Kittle at TE and then wanted to get out from under Vance McDonalds contract. That does not happen immediately, it takes some time.

Patience.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Well, it was reported that trading Bryant actually cleared $1.35 million as well. Cutting Wilcox was $3.125 million.

So, 1.35 + 3.125 = $4.425 million in cap relief, of course with displacement, two players taking their place of the top 51 and that amount is probably some $3.3 million.

Yeah, now is not the time to be rummaging through the garbage yet, the teams have not even put their trash out on the street yet, if you catch my meaning.

Like last year it takes some time for teams to see what they have from their draft class, mini camp, some OTAs and then they reevaluate their rosters and then you see some vets start to be cut or become available. Like with the 49ers when they drafted George Kittle at TE and then wanted to get out from under Vance McDonalds contract. That does not happen immediately, it takes some time.

Patience.

x1000

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:51 pm 

Scunge wrote:

Patience.

Yep. The Browns, for one, with all the top draft picks and FAs they've added over the last few years will have to eventually cut some decent talent - especially on D.

Cap-wise, we are just a tad over $6m with the rooks yet to be accounted for. I still think Coty, maybe DHB and a few other might get us several more million before it's all said and done. Time will tell, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 pm 

What we need is more safeties.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Tue May 01, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:37 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
I am still disappointed that one of the worst linebacking units in the NFL was completely ignored in the draft.
Another year of watching Bud Dupree get pancaked by the ball boy.
I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but I'd sign Derrick Johnson.
His leadership alone makes him worth a look.

Dupree was playing with one arm. Hargrave and Tuiit also had problems. The Steelers FO apparently agreed with me that safety was the biggest issue we had last year and that the draft's ILB prospects largely sucked, especially as Macks.

We're not deep at Mack, and I'm not sure who of this cast can play FS... but we're much better off that we have been at any point of the post-Shazier era.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm 

Definitely more difficult to evaluate LB play when some of the big guns on the DL were hurt or out.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm 

Ice wrote:
Definitely more difficult to evaluate LB play when some of the big guns on the DL were hurt or out.

Ice, I am pre-empting myself on the podcast I think we're doing tomorrow, but I think the Steelers' actions in the offseason scream: "health and/or coaching were bigger issues for this defense than talent". We may or may not agree, but they think their defense is going to be pretty good, even without Shazier. If Hargrave, Tuitt, Dupree, & Davis were truly as hurt as advertised, there is reason to believe the Steelers might be correct.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:15 pm 

It's one of the reasons (along with the straight up lack of anywhere near matching quality available) why I'm not tearing my hair over no ILB in the draft.

I'd add to the DLine woes that when a player you have built your scheme around goes down in that fashion, it's really too big a rebuild to do on the fly in any kind of meaningful way 2/3 of the way through a season, whether you're Bud Carson or Keith Butler.

Given both of those things happening in the same season, I'm considering us rather lucky to have gotten as good as we did. Considerable amount of that luck was the offense heating up when it did.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Why care about "cheap", I don't care what happens to the salary cap the year after ben leaves, LOAD UP for while Ben is still here. Team is guaranteed to suck when he leaves. Without him, last year is 6-10 instead of 13-3.

What if Rudolph is our next franchise QB? Then we don't have to suck when Ben leaves, do we?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next