It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:10 pm
Posts: 849
I am still disappointed that one of the worst linebacking units in the NFL was completely ignored in the draft.
Another year of watching Bud Dupree get pancaked by the ball boy.
I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but I'd sign Derrick Johnson.
His leadership alone makes him worth a look.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1921
Well, it was reported that trading Bryant actually cleared $1.35 million as well. Cutting Wilcox was $3.125 million.

So, 1.35 + 3.125 = $4.425 million in cap relief, of course with displacement, two players taking their place of the top 51 and that amount is probably some $3.3 million.

Yeah, now is not the time to be rummaging through the garbage yet, the teams have not even put their trash out on the street yet, if you catch my meaning.

Like last year it takes some time for teams to see what they have from their draft class, mini camp, some OTAs and then they reevaluate their rosters and then you see some vets start to be cut or become available. Like with the 49ers when they drafted George Kittle at TE and then wanted to get out from under Vance McDonalds contract. That does not happen immediately, it takes some time.

Patience.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4711
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Scunge wrote:
Well, it was reported that trading Bryant actually cleared $1.35 million as well. Cutting Wilcox was $3.125 million.

So, 1.35 + 3.125 = $4.425 million in cap relief, of course with displacement, two players taking their place of the top 51 and that amount is probably some $3.3 million.

Yeah, now is not the time to be rummaging through the garbage yet, the teams have not even put their trash out on the street yet, if you catch my meaning.

Like last year it takes some time for teams to see what they have from their draft class, mini camp, some OTAs and then they reevaluate their rosters and then you see some vets start to be cut or become available. Like with the 49ers when they drafted George Kittle at TE and then wanted to get out from under Vance McDonalds contract. That does not happen immediately, it takes some time.

Patience.


x1000


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1476
Scunge wrote:
Well, it was reported that trading Bryant actually cleared $1.35 million as well. Cutting Wilcox was $3.125 million.

So, 1.35 + 3.125 = $4.425 million in cap relief, of course with displacement, two players taking their place of the top 51 and that amount is probably some $3.3 million.

Yeah, now is not the time to be rummaging through the garbage yet, the teams have not even put their trash out on the street yet, if you catch my meaning.

Like last year it takes some time for teams to see what they have from their draft class, mini camp, some OTAs and then they reevaluate their rosters and then you see some vets start to be cut or become available. Like with the 49ers when they drafted George Kittle at TE and then wanted to get out from under Vance McDonalds contract. That does not happen immediately, it takes some time.

Patience.

Yep. The Browns, for one, with all the top draft picks and FAs they've added over the last few years will have to eventually cut some decent talent - especially on D.

Cap-wise, we are just a tad over $6m with the rooks yet to be accounted for. I still think Coty, maybe DHB and a few other might get us several more million before it's all said and done. Time will tell, I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm
Posts: 3266
What we need is more safeties.


Last edited by Stallworth16 on Tue May 01, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16358
SteelDrama wrote:
I am still disappointed that one of the worst linebacking units in the NFL was completely ignored in the draft.
Another year of watching Bud Dupree get pancaked by the ball boy.
I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but I'd sign Derrick Johnson.
His leadership alone makes him worth a look.

Dupree was playing with one arm. Hargrave and Tuiit also had problems. The Steelers FO apparently agreed with me that safety was the biggest issue we had last year and that the draft's ILB prospects largely sucked, especially as Macks.

We're not deep at Mack, and I'm not sure who of this cast can play FS... but we're much better off that we have been at any point of the post-Shazier era.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4711
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Definitely more difficult to evaluate LB play when some of the big guns on the DL were hurt or out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16358
Ice wrote:
Definitely more difficult to evaluate LB play when some of the big guns on the DL were hurt or out.

Ice, I am pre-empting myself on the podcast I think we're doing tomorrow, but I think the Steelers' actions in the offseason scream: "health and/or coaching were bigger issues for this defense than talent". We may or may not agree, but they think their defense is going to be pretty good, even without Shazier. If Hargrave, Tuitt, Dupree, & Davis were truly as hurt as advertised, there is reason to believe the Steelers might be correct.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4711
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
It's one of the reasons (along with the straight up lack of anywhere near matching quality available) why I'm not tearing my hair over no ILB in the draft.

I'd add to the DLine woes that when a player you have built your scheme around goes down in that fashion, it's really too big a rebuild to do on the fly in any kind of meaningful way 2/3 of the way through a season, whether you're Bud Carson or Keith Butler.

Given both of those things happening in the same season, I'm considering us rather lucky to have gotten as good as we did. Considerable amount of that luck was the offense heating up when it did.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7617
Nick79 wrote:
Why care about "cheap", I don't care what happens to the salary cap the year after ben leaves, LOAD UP for while Ben is still here. Team is guaranteed to suck when he leaves. Without him, last year is 6-10 instead of 13-3.

What if Rudolph is our next franchise QB? Then we don't have to suck when Ben leaves, do we?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4147
I think nothing happens to June 1st and when the pre season starts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Posts: 383
Location: Born and raised "Yinzer" living in OKC!
I like the idea of a surprise cut like Haden & McDonald last year, but I sure would rather sign players before camp. I hate hearing, oh he'll be better next year after a full off season.

No matter, Steelers still trying to fill out their roster with "on-the-steet" roster fillers:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13544
Marquis Flowers is a speed, weight, height and length guy. Could be worth a look see. Has played 4-3 OLB since being drafted he's played for the bungals and cheats. Gerald Hodges is also a viable prospect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4711
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Shane Ray, anyone? He's had his fans on here, as I recall. Chubb, I suppose, made him irrelevant in Denver.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13544
Rather Todd Davis or Shaquil Barrett... Ray would also be a nice addition.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13544
Quote:
@FieldYates
Source: the Steelers have claimed OT Jake Rodgers off of waivers from the Texans https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/9 ... 9197077504
First post draft pick up....
Quote:
@MikeGarafolo
The following players didn't have their 2019 options picked up and are now slated for free agency at the end of this season:

Pats DT Danny Shelton
Pats DT Malcom Brown
Pats WR Phillip Dorsett
Niners OL Laken Tomlinson
Dolphins LB Stephone Anthony
Ravens WR Breshad Perriman https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 3102528513
Quote:
@MikeGarafolo
Follow Follow @MikeGarafolo
More
The #Jaguars elected not to exercise the fifth-year option on DE Dante Fowler for 2019, source says. However, they believe he’s an ascending player and hope to get a long-term deal to keep the former Gator in Florida. https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 2682009602
Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Giants are not picking up Ereck Flowers’ fifth-year option, per source. Scheduled to be free agent after this season. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 5139183617
Quote:
@MikeGarafolo
Follow Follow @MikeGarafolo
More
The Bears won't pick up WR Kevin White's option for 2019, source says. Would've been for $13.9 million. So he's officially in his contract year. Bears CB Kyle Fuller was in a similar position last year and cashed in when he suddenly balled out. https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 4841637888
Quote:
@MikeGarafolo
The Bengals will not pick up OL Cedric Ogbuehi’s option for 2019, source says. The 21st overall pick four years ago is headed to free agency next offseason. He’s struggled but if he can somehow turn a corner this year, he’ll be rewarded in the spring.https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 9709965312
Quote:
@NickiJhabvala
The Broncos will not exercise Shane Ray’s fifth-year option, per source. https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/statu ... 9786125312
Anyone in there worth looking at?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4711
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Dante Fowler was a steelerfury January draft hopeful before he ascended to the Jags pick. Not sure if he even fits the Steelers scheme at OLB anymore, really, but you could say the same about Ray.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4147
You find pass rushers and playmakers for this defense if one is out there hopefully KC will bring him in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 884
Ice wrote:
Dante Fowler was a steelerfury January draft hopeful before he ascended to the Jags pick. Not sure if he even fits the Steelers scheme at OLB anymore, really, but you could say the same about Ray.


I live in Jacksonville and Fowler is a disappointment, and a certified azz-hat. Low character jag off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1476
Ice wrote:
Shane Ray, anyone? He's had his fans on here, as I recall. Chubb, I suppose, made him irrelevant in Denver.

Hell, the Dolphins just picked up DT, Akeem Spence from the Lions in exchange for a conditional 2019 seventh-round pick. I would think a conditional 2019 fifth - or better yet - sixth-round pick should do the trick for Shane Ray. With the cost saving on cancelling out another player's salary, it would cost us about $2.4 million, maybe. I mean, I think we were paying Moats at least $2-3 mill a year, so I could live with this if it played out.

KC, get on the Bat-Phone....you know, the red phone!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:10 pm
Posts: 849
Jonathan Hankins is still sitting out there.
He’s a capable run stuffer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13544
Cory James (Mentored by current Steelers LB coach Joey Porter while at Colorado St.) was out most of last year with a knee injury. Spent time as an ILB in the Raiders defense. With the Raiders signing Tahir Whitehead and Derrick Johnson, James has become the odd man out released with a failed physical. Drafted in the 6th RND 2016, at just 24 years old from Colorado State he could be an under the radar 'cheap' FA signing for the Steelers. Had 56 tackles last season before injury.

PRO DAY RESULTS
6'1 235
40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds
Vertical: 35 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 7 inches
Short shuttle: 4.5 seconds
3-cone: 6.65 seconds
Bench: 16 reps of 225 pounds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2223
bradshaw2ben wrote:
SteelDrama wrote:
I am still disappointed that one of the worst linebacking units in the NFL was completely ignored in the draft.
Another year of watching Bud Dupree get pancaked by the ball boy.
I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but I'd sign Derrick Johnson.
His leadership alone makes him worth a look.

Dupree was playing with one arm. Hargrave and Tuiit also had problems. The Steelers FO apparently agreed with me that safety was the biggest issue we had last year and that the draft's ILB prospects largely sucked, especially as Macks.

We're not deep at Mack, and I'm not sure who of this cast can play FS... but we're much better off that we have been at any point of the post-Shazier era.


Truly a shame Shazier got hurt. Man worked so hard and was a legit DPOY candidate (compare the defense with Shazier to the defense without -- he made game changing splash plays weekly and covered a multitude of sins in the short-to-intermediate passing game).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4147
Steelafan77 wrote:
Cory James (Mentored by current Steelers LB coach Joey Porter while at Colorado St.) was out most of last year with a knee injury. Spent time as an ILB in the Raiders defense. With the Raiders signing Tahir Whitehead and Derrick Johnson, James has become the odd man out released with a failed physical. Drafted in the 6th RND 2016, at just 24 years old from Colorado State he could be an under the radar 'cheap' FA signing for the Steelers. Had 56 tackles last season before injury.

PRO DAY RESULTS
6'1 235
40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds
Vertical: 35 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 7 inches
Short shuttle: 4.5 seconds
3-cone: 6.65 seconds
Bench: 16 reps of 225 pounds


Mentored by Porter is that a good or bad thing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap Vet FAs
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6904
steelmann58 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Cory James (Mentored by current Steelers LB coach Joey Porter while at Colorado St.) was out most of last year with a knee injury. Spent time as an ILB in the Raiders defense. With the Raiders signing Tahir Whitehead and Derrick Johnson, James has become the odd man out released with a failed physical. Drafted in the 6th RND 2016, at just 24 years old from Colorado State he could be an under the radar 'cheap' FA signing for the Steelers. Had 56 tackles last season before injury.

PRO DAY RESULTS
6'1 235
40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds
Vertical: 35 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 7 inches
Short shuttle: 4.5 seconds
3-cone: 6.65 seconds
Bench: 16 reps of 225 pounds


Mentored by Porter is that a good or bad thing

It’s not something to highlight on the resume.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chidi Iwuoma, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], SteelerMike58 and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group