It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Differences between Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph...
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am 

TB wrote:
Here's a video highlighting some big time throws that Rudolph made, in clutch situations, that I've never seen Jones make:

Those first couple of throws are an excellent example of LACK of arm strength to make NFL throws. They are definitely pressure throws but those balls are intercepted or defended at a much greater rate in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am 

franco32 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
franco32 wrote:
I think Mason will continue to improve his mechanics and become even more a guy that can power the ball down field. There was one 80 yard td to Washington that he threw about 52 to 54 yards in the air without much effort right on the money. That convinced me he has the NFL arm strength needed.

There are many more examples of Rudolph's receivers adjusting to off-target deep balls, though. I think Rudolph *might* be better than only what he showed on tape, but I was more impressed with Washington when watching the tapes. I admit that I did enjoy watching Rudolph play. He's not a wimp. If I didn't know anything about his off-the-field personality, and if I didn't go back and watch enough to nitpick, I'd probably like him more.

What off-the-field issues does he have? All I've been able to read is that he is a great kid and a stellar human being. He's also an extremely hard worker and very competitive.

Goody-two shoes that turns some people/teammates off.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
franco32 wrote:
What off-the-field issues does he have? All I've been able to read is that he is a great kid and a stellar human being. He's also an extremely hard worker and very competitive.

Goody-two shoes that turns some people/teammates off.

Maybe spending some time around Ben will balance him out a bit.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 am 

Obviously wrote:
B2B grasping at straws. He despises Peyton Manning, too.

Fuck off, man. I like who I like and don't like who I don't like... same as you, incidentally.

I have always thought Peyton Manning was an entitled little prick who has a carefully cultivated public persona to cover up his being a jagoff. On the other hand, I rather like Eli... and Eli grew a pair during his NFL career-- an adaptation that helped him win a couple of Super Bowls.

And, to be clear: I don't hate Mason Rudolph, at all. I merely recognize his limitations-- limitations that I think will make him a great backup and possibly average starter. Hardly hate-- there are few QBs each year I would speak that highly of.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:53 am 

Arm strength is the single most overrated quality to judge a QB on. Its worth is really more as a pass/fail metric than as a qualitative spectrum. Mason has plenty of arm. And his deep ball, dare I say, might be an upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 am 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Arm strength is the single most overrated quality to judge a QB on. Its worth is really more as a pass/fail metric than as a qualitative spectrum. Mason has plenty of arm. And his deep ball, dare I say, might be an upgrade.

Ben developed into one of the badass deep ball throwers the league has ever seen. He has the arm strength to do it. We are talking a HOF qb vs a 3rd round pick no other team wanted. Yes, Mason pushes the football downfield which I like but chances are slim that he will ever be Ben on the deep ball.

I believe arm strength is underrated in today's dink and dunk league that makes rag armed accurate piss ant qb's look like HOFer's on a given day.

Last edited by Havoc on Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 am 

Havoc wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:

Ben developed into one the badass deep ball throwers the league has ever seen. He has the arm strength to do it. We are talking a HOF qb vs a 3rd round pick no other team wanted. Yes, Mason pushes the football downfield which I like be he will never be Ben on the deep ball.

I believe arm strength is underrated in today's dink and dunk league that makes rag armed accurate piss ant qb's look like HOFer's on a given day.

I'm not judging about deep ball strength... it's the intermediate and out. If you can't throw that at an near-elite level, you're not winning much in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:38 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:

Ben developed into one the badass deep ball throwers the league has ever seen. He has the arm strength to do it. We are talking a HOF qb vs a 3rd round pick no other team wanted. Yes, Mason pushes the football downfield which I like be he will never be Ben on the deep ball.

I'm not judging about deep ball strength... it's the intermediate and out. If you can't throw that at an near-elite level, you're not winning much in the playoffs.

I agree with Ben being elite on the intermediate routes, which is certainly a crucial part of his game. Disagree on him being elite on the deep ball, think he is merely good/great there.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:40 pm 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
I agree with Ben being elite on the intermediate routes, which is certainly a crucial part of his game. Disagree on him being elite on the deep ball, think he is merely good/great there.

His results are elite, though... and he's had success with two of THE WORST ball-tracking deep threats I've ever seen, in Mike Wallace and Martavis Bryant.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:44 pm 

B2B

I respect your opinion. I just think a lot of the throws that people are questioning his arm strength are throws that he intentionally puts touch on. The throw over Malik Jefferson's hands had to have arc or it wouldn't make it there. There is a difference between not having arm strength and choosing to put touch on it.

The reason I think he has very good arm strength is because I see it clearly when he lets her rip. That 22 yard out in that video was from the right hash to the left sideline! He couldn't even step into it and yet it was a very strong throw. That throw to seam for the 30 yard score was an absolute laser that traveled more than 30 yards in the air and arrived before the safety could get there.

I think he has plenty of arm strength to be an elite NFL QB. The question is..how will he process information on the field. You never know until the bullets fly.

As for his character, he might come across that way to some, but that may be because he's a Christian and very open about it. So what? So are many NFL players. Heck, Ben wore "Play for Jesus" sneakers for a time. I'd much rather have that than the BS we've had with Bryant or the stupid sh*t we see from Bell all the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next