It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Differences between Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph...
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
At this point a lot; Landry actually has NFL experience. I know y'all want Rudolph to be the heir apparent much like the media immediately projected essentially generating news for clicks when it was nothing more than jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions. At this point in Rudolph's short career never taking a snap in the NFL yet comparing him to any QB in the league with actual NFL experience is a projection into the wishful thinking category. Potential, can be a fickle thing. I reiterate, Rudolph hasn't done anything in the NFL yet. Landry is further ahead than Rudolph is at this point. Expecting Rudolph to come in and take Landry's job from the gate is also a projection bordering on wishful thinking. Let's wait and see how this scenario unfolds first.

I am not saying that they are going to cut Landry Jones like immediately, that would be stupid. But, I think you will see Rudolph come in and as training camp progresses, as the preseason games start, as we get closer to finalizing the 53 man roster, that there will come a decision and the Steelers will choose Rudolph as the #2 QB.

And if Jones is not the #2 QB then it makes no sense to keep him over Dobbs as the #3. That #3 is inactive, he does not suit up, he barely get any reps in practice. That $1.9 million that we can save by cutting Jones or trading him could very well be money used to sign a late free agent (ILB, OLB) before the season starts.

Also, how many of the other teams that take a QB high in round 1, 2 or 3 would make that QB a #3 QB on the depth chart?

If Lamar Jackson had fallen to round 2 say, and the Steelers had drafted him at 60, would he also be #3 behind Landry Jones? Would Sam Darnold? Would Josh Allen? Just not understanding the love for Landry Jones, hasn't all of his wins come against the Cleveland Browns, two that closed out the season when the Browns were sucking for a top draft pick? That is supposed to be impressive? Really?

I get that Scunge I just believe that there will have to do/be something extraordinary about Rudolph to succeed Landry. Not saying Landry is a super star. Why can't Landry stay on the roster? They kept Batch and Leftwich as Ben's back ups for a season or 2 if memory serves. I say keep the players that give you the best chances of winning. Especially when the injuries build up and your depth has to perform off the bench. Dobbs I think is on the roster bubble. JMO.

I was reading somewhere recently about the value of having Landry on the roster as one of Rudolph's mentors. If Landry is smart, knows the game and likes to teach this could make sense especially with no dedicated QB coach (and I agree with Scunge they really should get one for Rudolph)

I will be surprised if Landry isn't on the roster. But we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 am 

They need to hire a qb coach, and put him and Rudolph in a corner for a year and tell him to learn, and work on what you need to work on.
Let Landry be the number 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:14 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
And, Scunge... what I meant about comparing Rudolph and Landry is: taken in roughly the same point of the draft, as a value buy QB... yet, we viewed one as a wasted pick, backup at best and the other as the future of the franchise. It's weird to me. I personally think Rudolph is a better prospect but there isn't THAT much difference between their likelihood of working out.

If Rudolph comes out next year instead, where does he get drafted? 1st round? High 2nd?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm 

86n96 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
And, Scunge... what I meant about comparing Rudolph and Landry is: taken in roughly the same point of the draft, as a value buy QB... yet, we viewed one as a wasted pick, backup at best and the other as the future of the franchise. It's weird to me. I personally think Rudolph is a better prospect but there isn't THAT much difference between their likelihood of working out.

If Rudolph comes out next year instead, where does he get drafted? 1st round? High 2nd?

My guess. Mid to low 1st. Less competition. Nick Fitzgerald ( who i really like) and Drew Lock. i think he is better than Clayton Thorson or Jarrett Stidham.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:43 pm 

jebrick wrote:
86n96 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

My guess. Mid to low 1st. Less competition. Nick Fitzgerald ( who i really like) and Drew Lock. i think he is better than Clayton Thorson or Jarrett Stidham.

Easton Stick is going to be the 1st or 2nd QB drafted... and well-deserved. He's arguably better than Wentz.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:49 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Easton Stick is going to be the 1st or 2nd QB drafted... and well-deserved. He's arguably better than Wentz.

Ah the stick that revolutionized hockey. I miss my old t-flex.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9