It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Way To Early Final 53 for 2018
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm 

Scunge wrote:
KC, when you think about it, this is Tomlin's first QB, first realistic top prospect that he has drafted and one that he has his stamp of approval on.

Don't bring up Dobbs last season, I think they knew he was a backup, developmental prospect.

With Mason, it is like when Cowher had inherited Neil O'Donnell but then drafted Kordell Stewart and you could see that there was this connection, it was his first top QB prospect and he was totally supportive and 'all in'. Remember how Cowher kissed Stewart during a game? Did you see how Tomlin looked at Rudolph during his Pro Day workout? It looked like he wanted to have sex with him right then and there! :lol: Tomlin has that same type of vibe for Mason that Cowher had for Kordell.

If Ben does go down they sure as hell are not going to go with Landry Jones. They would put Mason out there and let him learn on the job just like other teams do every year. It would be like Dak Prescott all over again. Mason would be in an ideal situation, surrounded by top talent.

Honestly I don't understand the love for Jones. And the idea that he could go 9-7 as a starter? Lolley and Williamson must have been high. Jones would be exposed if he had to start for any length of time. What good is understanding the offense if you limit the offense with your lack of talent?

Not to mention having Washington out there (being covered by, at best, a CB3, but probably CB4) as his security blanket. I think Rudolph is smart enough to develop very quickly, from a mental standpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:50 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Honestly I don't understand the love for Jones.
I personally never said he was starter material. He't got issues. But I do know that BR was a generational talent, and guys like prescott don't grow on trees. Landry is a back up. He knows that, the team knows that, and so do most fans.

If rudolph is supposed to learn on the job while BR recovers for a few games, then that seriously compromises the chance to win the SB. In BR's last years. Everybody wants to take advantage of the window, but you'd throw a rookie into a game against the Ravens or Patriots in the last quarter of the season? I'm thinking the chances to win a game with Jones vs Rudolph are considerably higher. Put him in games that are already decided by the fourth quarter. And if you know the steelers, that doesn't happen very often.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm 

It's not love for Laundry. It's the way a contending team does business.

I'd add, in response to one of the earlier novellas, that I'm pretty sure the Steelers see themselves as a contending team. Just because they weren't willing to sacrifice draft capital to go get a broken, fundamentally flawed ILB prospect doesn't prove otherwise. Neither does getting more than you paid for in trade for Martavis Bryant. He whined, complained and underachieving in his "comeback" year last season and I'll bet real money Washington beats out his performance from last year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:33 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Scunge wrote:
KC, when you think about it, this is Tomlin's first QB, first realistic top prospect that he has drafted and one that he has his stamp of approval on.

Don't bring up Dobbs last season, I think they knew he was a backup, developmental prospect.

With Mason, it is like when Cowher had inherited Neil O'Donnell but then drafted Kordell Stewart and you could see that there was this connection, it was his first top QB prospect and he was totally supportive and 'all in'. Remember how Cowher kissed Stewart during a game? Did you see how Tomlin looked at Rudolph during his Pro Day workout? It looked like he wanted to have sex with him right then and there! :lol: Tomlin has that same type of vibe for Mason that Cowher had for Kordell.

If Ben does go down they sure as hell are not going to go with Landry Jones. They would put Mason out there and let him learn on the job just like other teams do every year. It would be like Dak Prescott all over again. Mason would be in an ideal situation, surrounded by top talent.

Honestly I don't understand the love for Jones. And the idea that he could go 9-7 as a starter? Lolley and Williamson must have been high. Jones would be exposed if he had to start for any length of time. What good is understanding the offense if you limit the offense with your lack of talent?

Not to mention having Washington out there (being covered by, at best, a CB3, but probably CB4) as his security blanket. I think Rudolph is smart enough to develop very quickly, from a mental standpoint.

Nobody but nobody hates Jones more than I do. I got into it with IC on the freaking day Laundry was drafted.

I predict he'll be Ben's back up, a team with a VERY SHORT championship window left, for one very simple reason: experience.

Choosing between Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph at this juncture of their careers (and let me reiterate, I NEARLY CAME when the drafted Rudolph. LOVE THE KID) could mean the difference between 11-5 and 9-7. Rudolph isn't anywhere near going to be NFL game ready this season. At least NOWHERE NEAR as game ready as Ben's chief back up (for numerous years) has been.

To me, the ONLY WAY they part with Landry via trade or cut this year, is if Dobbs comes into camp and REALLY shines. Dobbs would have to take a major leap forward for the Steelers to even consider jettisoning Laundry.

Just won't happen. The Steelers value experience far too much at the QB position.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:35 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Honestly I don't understand the love for Jones.
I personally never said he was starter material. He't got issues. But I do know that BR was a generational talent, and guys like prescott don't grow on trees. Landry is a back up. He knows that, the team knows that, and so do most fans.

If rudolph is supposed to learn on the job while BR recovers for a few games, then that seriously compromises the chance to win the SB. In BR's last years. Everybody wants to take advantage of the window, but you'd throw a rookie into a game against the Ravens or Patriots in the last quarter of the season? I'm thinking the chances to win a game with Jones vs Rudolph are considerably higher. Put him in games that are already decided by the fourth quarter. And if you know the steelers, that doesn't happen very often.

DING DING DING we have a winner.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:43 pm 

A. Why do people think Mason Rudolph is the future of the franchise and the first real QB Tomlin has drafted but Landry Jones isn't/wasn't? They're pretty similar level QBs, with Rudolph being a bit more capable of standing under pressure and Landry throwing a prettier ball. Rudolph's midpoint to me is Andy Dalton. How many games fewer would Andy Dalton win vs Ben Roethlisberger with the same cast?

B. Eli Rogers is making this team

C. I think Matthew Thomas makes it over Fort, and he might even win the backup job at the Mack... to the extent that there is such a position for the Steelers in 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:52 pm 

I agree with c

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 pm 

Another possibility is jones moves to #3. Perma backup. There are worse ways to have a 15 year nfl career.

Any rate it’s almost eerie how they got the tandem of Rudolph AND Washington. I mean how can one not ponder that’s the next chapter of stillers football.

What will be weird is if Ben does decide to have favre moment and not go gracefully.

I’m glad because I’ve thought for past 2 years at least that they have to start thinking next QB. Simply irresponsible to not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:31 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
A. Why do people think Mason Rudolph is the future of the franchise and the first real QB Tomlin has drafted but Landry Jones isn't/wasn't? They're pretty similar level QBs, with Rudolph being a bit more capable of standing under pressure and Landry throwing a prettier ball. Rudolph's midpoint to me is Andy Dalton. How many games fewer would Andy Dalton win vs Ben Roethlisberger with the same cast?

B. Eli Rogers is making this team

C. I think Matthew Thomas makes it over Fort, and he might even win the backup job at the Mack... to the extent that there is such a position for the Steelers in 2018.

“B. Eli Rogers is making this team”

I wrote about the WR depth in another post, very comcerned after AB and JuJu.

After those two we have next to nothing in experience at the NFL level, including at TE.

If one of those guys goes down Ben is handcuffed, the offense is severely limited.

Eli Rogers CANNOT make this 53, I believe this is a bigger liability than ILB now after the draft, they have to find a veteran WR that can contribute, they already have the home run hitters.

FUCK THE NFL

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:20 am 

I could care less if Eli Rogers comes back and I am not so sure him coming back would equate to anything in terms of playing time.

I just find it interesting that as the talent level around him got better, Rogers found himself standing on the sidelines watching.

Vance McDonald, JuJu, now this year we have James Washington and Jaylin Samuels. It sort of reminds me how in 2014 we signed WR Lance Moore, that veteran slot WR and he had all of 14 catches that year as he watched Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, Bell and Miller.

That 4th WR, veteran slot WR may not be that much of a critical position as some might think. Besides JuJu, they need to get McDonald and Samuels involved more in that short-intermediate passing game not Eli Rogers. They can be difference makers, Rogers is just going to be meh.

As far as Mason being the #2, we will have to agree to disagree. I was not crazy about drafting him in round 1 or 2, but am thrilled to get him in round 3. We will have to see how things play out.

One thing I will talk about it is how pissed I get and I imagine how pissed the players must get when the words, 'championship window' are tossed about. Piss on that you negative, defeatist m-fers!!! No offense! ;)

Why did Stepon Tuitt sign his new contract? Why would Bell want to sign a new long term contract? Why would anybody want to stay with the Steelers knowing that the team will immediately turn to shit, turn into a pumpkin once Big Ben retires in a year, 2 years, 3 years? Why?

I loved this draft because this was the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin the head coach, Kevin Colbert the GM putting their collective foot down and saying 'championship window closing?' Really? That might be true for Ben, but we are in this for the long haul, the next window might open the first year without Ben.

The 2019 draft, the 2020 draft may bring even more players to where all we need is a QB who can play within himself and distribute the ball to the playmakers. How did Philly do it with Nick Foles?

So, yeah, I can't stand that mentality that our 'tight championship window is closing' bullshit. It is lazy and not really accurate because you just don't know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next