It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Way To Early Final 53 for 2018
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:

Quote:
Shazier placed on Reserve/PUP list http://www.steelers.com/news/transactio ... 0207c895fe
So, although he will be paid his salary Shaz won't count against the 53 then right?

Yes. PUP does not count against the 53

Quote:
Then there's the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List, which is also used for the regular season. If by the end of the preseason, a player isn't medically cleared, he can be transferred to the Reserve/PUP, which prevents that player from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season.

The good news is PUP allows teams to apply roster exemptions while keeping their players under contract with the ability to play later in the season, which is why most teams apply PUP at the start of training camp for any injured players. If an injured player isn’t placed on PUP at the beginning of the year, a roster spot must be used on him, or he must be placed on IR. Once someone is activated from PUP onto the active roster, the team will have to make a corresponding move by releasing/waiving someone to open a spot.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 pm 

A little late to this thread, but his is how I would like to see the roster turn out

QB/3
Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph

RB/4
LeVeon Bell, James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, Rosevelt Nix

WR/6
Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Darius Heyward-Bey, Justin Hunter, Quadree Henderson

TE/3
Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble

OL/9
Alejandro Villanueva, Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Marcus Gilbert, Jerald Hawkins, Chukwuma Okorafor, BJ Finney, Patrick Morris

DL/6
Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargrave, Tyson Alualu, LT Walton, Joshua Frazier

OLB/4
Bud Dupree, TJ Watt, Anthony Chickillo, Keion Adams

ILB/5
Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, Tyler Matakevich, LJ Fort, Matthew Thomas

CB/5
Artie Burns, Joe Haden, Mike Hilton, Cam Sutton, Brian Allen

SAF/5
Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Will Allen, Nat Berhe

ST/3
Chris Boswell, Jordan Berry, Kameron Canaday

Practice Squad:
TE Christian Scotland-Williamson
QB Joshua Dobbs
OG Chris Schleuger
TE Jake McGee
RB James Summers
WR Marcus Tucker
DL Greg Gilmore
LB Olasunkanmi Adeniyi
LB Matt Galambos
DB Trey Johnson
DB Jamar Summers

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:09 am 

I'll take a stab at it. As the roster stands right now....

Roethlisberger, Landry, Rudolph

Bell, Conner, Samuels

McDonald, James, Grimble

Nix

Brown, Smith-Schuster, Washington, Hunter, Jones, Henderson

Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Finney, Okorafor, Hawkins

Burns, Haden, Hilton, Sutton, Allen

Williams, Bostic, Matakevich, Fort, Thomas

Watt, Dupree, Chickillo, Adams, Huguenin

Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Walton, Gilmore, Frazier

Davis, Burnett, Edmunds, Allen M., Berhe

Boswell, Berry, Canaday

Practice Squad
RB Franklin
TE McGee
WR Palka
OC Morris
CB Johnson
DB Boynton
ILB Galambos
OLB Adeniyi
DT Cothren
DE Vickers

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 am 

I think it's semantics whether Landry or Rudulph are the 2 or 3. If one of them comes in and sucks, it will be a short hook. Even if Rudolph is technically the #3, it won't be a BSP #3 aka journeyman. He's a guy they will be keeping up to speed right along with the backup for developmental sake.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:09 am 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
A. Why do people think Mason Rudolph is the future of the franchise and the first real QB Tomlin has drafted but Landry Jones isn't/wasn't? They're pretty similar level QBs, with Rudolph being a bit more capable of standing under pressure and Landry throwing a prettier ball. Rudolph's midpoint to me is Andy Dalton. How many games fewer would Andy Dalton win vs Ben Roethlisberger with the same cast?

Rudolph is new and shiny so he must be better.

It's more than that. He's not just "new and shiny" -- the draft circumstances reveal a lot of differences between how the front office views the potential of these 2 QBs.

Landry Jones was drafted in the 4th round -- low in the 4th round. In fact, he was viewed so lowly that he was drafted with our SECOND PICK in the 4th round, behind Shamarko Fucking Thomas.

Rudolph's draft circumstances were totally different. The Steelers brass said they almost took Rudolph in the 2nd round before deciding to draft JW. I believe this statement. Instead, they chose JW in the 2nd, and then waited until the 3rd round, where they had 2 draft picks slotted. They had their normal 3rd round pick (#92) as well as the higher 3rd round pick we acquired from Oakland (#79).

The Steelers didn't sit around, hoping Rudolph will fall to them at #92. In fact, they didn't wait to see if he would fall to them at #79. They packaged a trade, and jumped ahead of Cincy (who would certainly have drafted him), and grabbed Rudolph at #76.

Unlike Landry Jones, where they sat around and drafted him low in the 4th round with their second pick after Shamarko Thomas, they went up in the 3rd round and grabbed Rudolph when they saw their chance.

The Steelers definitely have different plans for Rudolph than they did for Landry. This is clear, not only from what they are saying in the press, but from the facts of the draft.

Landry was never viewed as a potential starter; he was always viewed as an upgrade to our severely aged backup QB corps.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:32 am 

I'm a Pitt guy... and I cant understand why anyone would want to have Henderson on the 53.

Return game is nearly phased out of the game, we have multiple players with good return experience elsewhere on the 53, and Henderson can't play WR.

Marcus Tucker is decent. I'd like to see what a small-schooler like Palka can do. Maybe someone else's discard.

My feeling is they are in love with Dree, much like Conner.

I feel the same way about Conner... make him earn his spot over Samuels, Franklin, Ridley, and Toussaint.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 pm 

He could play ST's and Gadget player too B2B, Dual threat? Line him up in the back field as a runner on offense. Line him up in the slot for that dare I say short sweep outside screenplay.... :o

Going by those picks I made for the 53, if Hendersen don't make it I think they could keep Sensabaugh instead.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 pm 

I'm not a big fan of Conner, but he averaged 4.5 YPC despite running a lot in pretty obvious running situations and did everything they asked him. He's a lock.