It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Grades are already coming out...
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 am 

DP39 wrote:
Ravens drafted a QB because they have to get out from under Flacco's salary....not paying a franchise QB is the only way they know how to field a good team (outside of QB). They need the advantage of the extra $25+ million to pay other great and above average players, so they can stack their team.

Paying a franchise QB who does not play like a franchise QB is a drag. Then missing on drafts makes it even worst. He is retiring before he gets fired.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 am 

Number 1 overall draft pick on a Heisman Trophy winning Big 12 QB isn't exactly a great way to turn a franchise around, historically speaking, in two ways.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am 

jebrick wrote:
He is retiring before he gets fired.

Current Ravens owner didn't hire him, and that team has been a sinking ship for a while now. I could see it having happened in a year or two. Hell, I could see it as a courtesy move keeping him around for this season.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:52 am 

Ice wrote:
jebrick wrote:
He is retiring before he gets fired.

Current Ravens owner didn't hire him, and that team has been a sinking ship for a while now. I could see it having happened in a year or two. Hell, I could see it as a courtesy move keeping him around for this season.

I compare it to Bill Polian on the Colts. with Manning they kept that franchise floating for 12 years. 2 bad drafts in a row and he was fired. Do you really think Polian forget how to judge talent? Just bad luck and a diminishing talent pool based on drafting in the 20+ for 12 years straight. I keep saying that the job the Steeler FO has done to produce competitive teams year after year while up against the salary cap while paying a Franchise QB is amazing. By the laws of averages they are bound to miss a draft but they recover.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 am 

jebrick wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Let me guess...Kiper gave the Rats/Ozzie a super duper A +...

Ravens won the draft again. damm,

It isn't just Kiper (A- btw) he was one of the few who didn't like the Jackson pick. All the youtube draft guys love Jackson. Many think he was the best Qb in this class. I liked him but not that much. I always felt he needed to go to the right team. I don't think the Rats is that team. They do TBF have some folks that coached Vick & Kap.

The coaches gets mentioned a lot what doesn't is both Kap and Vick had loaded rosters: great RBs (Gore & Shady), great olines, very nice skill players (Desean Jackson & Crabtree for example) and despite that (with some success) ultimately both Vick & Kap fell off or got badly hurt (Vick). Rats have at best an ok oline, fuck all skill players (I guess one of the TEs could be...) and a decent RB in Alex Collins who has yet to prove he can be the long-term solution. If LJ had been drafted by the Pats, PS, NO or Chargers I believe he would have gotten a better shot. With Rats: a defensive based team and culture it will be far, far tougher.

I can foresee Jackson tearing it up in the pre-season and getting Rats fan base, media and maybe even their coaches baying for him to start. How will he do with that limited offensive roster v non-future Walmart employees in games that count?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 am 

Actually, my favorite piece of shoddy, lazy reasoning being passed around like a doobie on draft day was that because the Ravens have RG3, they are a perfect landing spot for Jackson. Shit, that means anybody willing to sign the guy off the street a couple weeks ago suddenly becomes "perfect?" Great job. Not lazy thinking at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:01 am 

Ice wrote:
Actually, my favorite piece of shoddy, lazy reasoning being passed around like a doobie on draft day was that because the Ravens have RG3, they are a perfect landing spot for Jackson. Shit, that means anybody willing to sign the guy off the street a couple weeks ago suddenly becomes "perfect?" Great job. Not lazy thinking at all.

If Rats let Jackson anywhere near RGIII outside of a cautionary tale they are failing, badly.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 am 

steelclan wrote:
Ice wrote:

If Rats let Jackson anywhere near RGIII outside of a cautionary tale they are failing, badly.

One of several reasons I was surprised the talking heads kept bringing it up ad nauseam.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:44 pm 

Quote:
The following was written by a sports columnist and appeared in the Jan. 30, 1974 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette following the first five rounds of the 1974 NFL Draft, after the Steelers had picked Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, cornerback Jimmy Allen, and Webster:

“The Steelers seem to have come out of the first five rounds of the draft appreciably strengthened at wide receiver but nowhere else. They didn’t get a tight end, and the ones remaining are more suspect than prospect. They didn’t get a punter, although none of the nation’s best collegiate punters went in the first five rounds. They didn’t get an offensive tackle who might’ve shored up what could well become a weakness. What they did get was Swann, who seems to be a sure-pop to help; Lambert, who figures to be the No. 5 linebacker if he pans out; and three question marks.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-4/Asked-and-Answered-May-3/3a9baa8e-23ea-4980-ba5e-8900bfd87b51

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Quote:
The following was written by a sports columnist and appeared in the Jan. 30, 1974 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette following the first five rounds of the 1974 NFL Draft, after the Steelers had picked Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, cornerback Jimmy Allen, and Webster:

“The Steelers seem to have come out of the first five rounds of the draft appreciably strengthened at wide receiver but nowhere else. They didn’t get a tight end, and the ones remaining are more suspect than prospect. They didn’t get a punter, although none of the nation’s best collegiate punters went in the first five rounds. They didn’t get an offensive tackle who might’ve shored up what could well become a weakness. What they did get was Swann, who seems to be a sure-pop to help; Lambert, who figures to be the No. 5 linebacker if he pans out; and three question marks.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-4/Asked-and-Answered-May-3/3a9baa8e-23ea-4980-ba5e-8900bfd87b51

lol.
Nice find Havoc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next