It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ILB
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 am 

Flanker wrote:
Not that he is an ILB but Tegray Scales was one of the more impressive linebackers I saw play last year and he hasn't been drafted yet... I don't understand but I guess that's why I'm not paid to evaluate players.

Stiff as can be and not good in coverage. Also on the slow side. As a downhill, college game run defender, he was very good.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:18 am 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
Serious question, does anyone believe that a little weight and some coaching that Marcus Allen could turn into their ILB of the future?

Dude loves to hit, lives for it and nobody wants him covering 25 yards downfield, make him play at the LOS

Mack has to carry the TE and make plays on the football in deep middle zone. He also has to get off or defeat blocks from OGs. If one believes Allen can do that, then, yes, he could play ILB. It's possible both Allen and Edmunds will grow into Ryan Shazier sized players... both are young (21).

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am 

Flanker wrote:
Jason Cabinda is the perfect old school type MLB and a real thumper but we already have that in Williams. I'm somewhat surprised he will be a UDFA... that position/skillset is dying in todays league.

Thumpers are passé, because the Tom Brady's and Sean McVays of the world can manipulate them into 1-on-1 matchups in the passing game on any down. Hybrid SS/LB guys like Deion Jones are all the rage now, and the draft reflects those two developments.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:57 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
That’s why I kind of give a raised eyebrow to everyone saying it’s was the plan all along to draft safeties as linebackers due to a new age defense.
My money is that if they could have drafted Evans a traditional ILB that he would have been the pick.

But yet none were worthy of trading up to get like Terrell's younger brother Trumaine who fell to the bills at 16; Colbert said it, Not willing to mortgage the future on one draft spot. ILB position this draft was very light. Safety, DLine and corner were all heavy. Too bad they didn't need any of those positions, right.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 am 

Well, there are two camps apparently.

Camp A

Some will listen to the heresy by Dulac, saying that the Steelers were trying to trade up to get Evans and when that plan fell through then they went to Plan B and then reached for Edmunds at safety and then double dipped in panic mode with Marcus Allen. That sounds so far fetched to me.

Camp B

The Steelers, knowing that the issues on defense were not just related to Ryan Shazier's absence, decide to go all in on transforming their defense, their sub package defense.

Carnell Lake amicably leaves and Bradley is hired to be the new secondary coach.
John Mitchell is relieved of his defensive line coach duties and Karl Dunbar is hired to be the new D-line coach.

They first sign ILB Jon Bostic, who has experience playing inside in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, who is a quality athlete, 4.61 40, 6.99 3 cone. Then then proceed to cut Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden and Willie Gay before the draft. True Gay was a CB but he played a lot last season as a nickel safety, dime linebacker, etc. They cut 3 players that had combined for some 1,150 snaps on defense last season.

The Steelers cut one of their starting safeties in Mike Mitchell, their 3rd safety in Robert Golden and their long time vet swiss army knife in Gay. That to me clearly showed a plan, a commitment to transform the defense.

They then sign two safeties, Morgan Burnett and Nat Berhe. Morgan is capable of playing FS, SS and nickel linebacker, but he is up in age now, 29 years old, starting his 9th season. Berhe is not really an option to play defense, strictly a special teams player, he will replace Golden in that important up back role for punts, etc.

So, Morgan can be a starter and easily cancels out Mitchell, but how do they replace the almost 500 snaps that Golden and Gay had on defense?

They were going to draft a safety in this draft and probably two, the moves they made before the draft, the players that they cut clearly show this. The pro day visits, the interest in most all of the safeties clearly show this. Then in the draft they select Edmunds who has size, speed and athletic ability but more importantly, is a vocal leader, a team leader, and is said to be more like Burnett, a player who is football smart and can digest different assignments and be used in multiple roles.

Then they pick Marcus Allen, another player who can be used in nickel and dime packages but does not have that special athleticism of Edmunds.

Sorry, but I am firmly in Camp B, the Steelers were transforming their defense this offseason before the draft. They were bringing in new coaches, jettisoning old players, signing new players like Bostic and Morgan Burnett. How anybody can just have a blind eye to all of that and then claim the big safety, new age sub package defense only happened because they couldn't trade for Evans? :roll:

I can't remember a time on defense where we had so much change. To have two new position coaches that are not indoctrinated in the old Lebeau scheme, and to get rid of two established vets like Mitchell and Gay in one offseason? There is a plan in action and it started well before the draft and before we supposedly failed to trade up for Evans.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:38 am 

Scunge wrote:
Camp B

The Steelers, knowing that the issues on defense were not just related to Ryan Shazier's absence, decide to go all in on transforming their defense, their sub package defense.

Carnell Lake amicably leaves and Bradley is hired to be the new secondary coach.
John Mitchell is relieved of his defensive line coach duties and Karl Dunbar is hired to be the new D-line coach.

They first sign ILB Jon Bostic, who has experience playing inside in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, who is a quality athlete, 4.61 40, 6.99 3 cone. Then then proceed to cut Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden and Willie Gay before the draft. True Gay was a CB but he played a lot last season as a nickel safety, dime linebacker, etc. They cut 3 players that had combined for some 1,150 snaps on defense last season.

The Steelers cut one of their starting safeties in Mike Mitchell, their 3rd safety in Robert Golden and their long time vet swiss army knife in Gay. That to me clearly showed a plan, a commitment to transform the defense.

They then sign two safeties, Morgan Burnett and Nat Berhe. Morgan is capable of playing FS, SS and nickel linebacker, but he is up in age now, 29 years old, starting his 9th season. Berhe is not really an option to play defense, strictly a special teams player, he will replace Golden in that important up back role for punts, etc.

So, Morgan can be a starter and easily cancels out Mitchell, but how do they replace the almost 500 snaps that Golden and Gay had on defense?

They were going to draft a safety in this draft and probably two, the moves they made before the draft, the players that they cut clearly show this. The pro day visits, the interest in most all of the safeties clearly show this. Then in the draft they select Edmunds who has size, speed and athletic ability but more importantly, is a vocal leader, a team leader, and is said to be more like Burnett, a player who is football smart and can digest different assignments and be used in multiple roles.

Then they pick Marcus Allen, another player who can be used in nickel and dime packages but does not have that special athleticism of Edmunds.

There is a plan in action and it started well before the draft and before we supposedly failed to trade up for Evans.
I'll buy that for a dollar.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am 

They had to do something Scunge. They can't stop the Patriots..., Ever! They have to defend the Brady ran Patriot offense. They about beat the Patriots last season for the 1st time in..., Well.... forever? Then comes along the Blake Bortles offense and destroyed that defense. Twice! There had to be changes if they plan to win anymore than one postseason game. Why it's taken them so long to actually implement the change is beyond explanation. I'll try. Old game plans die hard? Too ingrained in the 'We do what we do' MO? All I can say is it's about fucking time they change with the times and join the modern NFL. That said, I think the defense is closer to being fully rebuilt already. Of course it's a little too early to jump to that conclusion. I'll just say for football talk reasons they're well on their way to becoming a much better modern NFL defense than what they have been. JMO

The offense? I know we talk about how great they're going to be every year and how we're essentially disappointed every year. I really believe that this season the offense will really hit their stride (staying healthy) and blow up the NFL. The loss of Bryant is substantial, the loss of Hubbard is also substantial; yes they both brought something that essentially no other WR or OT on the roster had. Blazing straight line speed [Bryant] taking the top off defenses. The ability to swing OT/TE on the OLine and play well into the second level of defenses [Hubbard]. That said, I think the Steelers are going to be a more finesse offense than we've seen. The Washington and Samuels drafting will help this in the long run. Both young rookie players bring a skill [or 5] to the table and just about automatically make this offense even more dangerous. The rich getting richer? I'll just say there's much more confidence in the offense going into this season. The new coordinator over the old one? Addition by subtraction?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:55 am 

cop1211 wrote:
That’s why I kind of give a raised eyebrow to everyone saying it’s was the plan all along to draft safeties as linebackers due to a new age defense.
My money is that if they could have drafted Evans a traditional ILB that he would have been the pick.

Exactly. It's complete b.s. They would have sprinted to the podium for Evans if he was available at 28, instead they stayed put and reached for a guy who wasn't even that good a player in college and are somehow expecting him to be a great player in the pros.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:23 am 

I have gone over and rewatched some games and I think last season on defense things sort of slowly unraveled.

I loved the plan of using our D-line more as pass rushers, Cam in particular had a great season. I think the plan was to get Hargrave and Tuitt more involved but I think injuries, and the fact that they were playing with injuries sort of curtailed those plans.

What was shocking to me as the season wore on was the play of our defensive backs beyond our starters. Yeah, Mitchell was really, really bad but when you are in sub package defense and you have 6 and even 7 defensive backs on the field, well that was really troubling. Supposedly they used 6 or more defensive backs, 25% of the time, and that came in critical times. That key 3rd down play that sustained a drive and gave the team a TD and the lead? Probably had 7 defensive backs out there. So, who were those other 3 players on the field outside of our 4 starters in the secondary?

Mike Hilton, Robert Golden, Willie Gay, JJ Wilcox, Coty Sensabaugh, Cam Sutton. That is well over 1,500 combined snaps from those players.

Yeah, Mike Hilton, he had 577 snaps, played 59% of the snaps. To me he was a revelation, a nickel back who was great against the run, great as a blitzer and held his own in coverage, was not tested that much but that is a good thing. He was tighter in coverage, made it more difficult to throw that easy completion. You subtract Hilton's snaps and you are still left with 1,000 snaps where teams are targeting Golden, Gay, Wilcox, etc.

When I talk about the Steelers transforming this defense, this is the one area where it had to happen. If Shazier had not gotten injured, this defense still had major issues with putting players like Golden and Gay out there, with having Mike Mitchell as a starting safety. Simply drafting an Evans or LVE would not have fixed the real issues troubling this defense. Not that replacing Shazier isn't a big issue, it most certainly is but we had 3 players out there on the field that did not belong, that were being targeted and exploited. That was going to continue to be a resource for teams to use against us.

So, having Edmunds and Burnett and Cam Sutton replacing Golden, Mitchell and Willie Gay is going to be a tremendous boost to this defense. If they can employ more man to man defense, instead of having 88/12 zone to man ratio it should be more like 60/40. They now have the athletes and body types, and more importantly the football smart type of players needed to do it.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
The offense? I know we talk about how great they're going to be every year and how we're essentially disappointed every year. I really believe that this season the offense will really hit their stride (staying healthy) and blow up the NFL.

It's on Ben, Fichtner, and Tomlin to make it happen.

I'm much more concerned with how the offense is playing late season than early season but it would be nice if we could come out of the gate smoking.

I'm looking for the offense to lead us to Lombardi #7. I'm looking for the D to give us a fighting chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next