It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ILB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:39 pm 

I guess they really like Bostic. And I do too. But we just finished the 5th round and still no ILB. We probably take one in the 7th. What do you think of Bostic, and not drafting an ILB in 5 rounds?
And is anyone that you like still out there.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ILB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:49 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
I guess they really like Bostic. And I do too. But we just finished the 5th round and still no ILB. We probably take one in the 6th or 7th. What do you think of Bostic, and not drafting an ILB in 5 rounds?

Don't have a 6th. Steelers didn't so much need an ILB as to replace things Shaz does for their defense. Can Edmunds, Allen, Bostic, & Burnett do that? Well, I have more confidence in them than I do the gigantic diarrhea fest of last season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:52 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
I guess they really like Bostic. And I do too. But we just finished the 5th round and still no ILB. We probably take one in the 6th or 7th. What do you think of Bostic, and not drafting an ILB in 5 rounds?

Don't have a 6th. Steelers didn't so much need an ILB as to replace things Shaz does for their defense. Can Edmunds, Allen, Bostic, & Burnett do that? Well, I have more confidence in them than I do the gigantic diarrhea fest of last season.

Those 4 are light years better than the hot garbage we trotted out there last year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm 

Yeah but a box safety is not an ILB and I don't think those rookies change position. My concern is for the backup ILBs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:57 pm 

June 1st cuts. I can see us grab an ilb.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:57 pm 

I remember when people said Shaz should play safety. His size and speed dictated that position change. Lake salivated at using him at safety.

There is a defensive paradigm shift. Big, strong, fast safety's that can cover and like to hit both in the run and pass.

It's not like it's the first time DB's were in sub packages playing linebacker.

Shaz played ILB but his skill set was safety, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:14 pm 

We drafted two ILBs in Edmunds and Allen

They weren't trying to draft traditional off ball LBs. Instead they needed people who did what Shazier did and fit his athletic profile. Neither are quite the specimen that he is, but they are physical tacklers that can cover backs and TEs. We will need to find some space eaters up front to keep them clean, but those are really a lot easier to come by than the hybrid $backers themselves since they are all the rage.

It was a great draft for the $backers and we snagged two. Defense altered.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 pm 

I think it is simpler than that. Colbert thought the ILBs in this draft sucked after LVE and Evans.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 pm 

Not that he is an ILB but Tegray Scales was one of the more impressive linebackers I saw play last year and he hasn't been drafted yet... I don't understand but I guess that's why I'm not paid to evaluate players.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 pm 

franco32 wrote:
I think it is simpler than that. Colbert thought the ILBs in this draft sucked after LVE and Evans.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:33 pm 

franco32 wrote:

Excellent point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:47 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Yeah but a box safety is not an ILB and I don't think those rookies change position. My concern is for the backup ILBs.

Why the concern when you have Spence and Fort ready to go??

No faith in Tomlin?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:49 pm 

Sign Timmons and have him in situations.

That with Bostic and these dudes drafted and the middle of the defense is improved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:56 pm 

This draft was really thin at Mike LB. I am not sure if next year will be much better,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:57 pm 

Maybe this year’s phenom UFA is an ILB.

Foster, Hilton, Nix, Villanueva, etc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 pm 

We drafted two potential ILB prospects.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 pm 

Serious question, does anyone believe that a little weight and some coaching that Marcus Allen could turn into their ILB of the future?

Dude loves to hit, lives for it and nobody wants him covering 25 yards downfield, make him play at the LOS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm 

Jason Cabinda is the perfect old school type MLB and a real thumper but we already have that in Williams. I'm somewhat surprised he will be a UDFA... that position/skillset is dying in todays league.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:33 am 

franco32 wrote:

Quote:
Colbert On 2018 ILB Draft Class: ‘Only A Few That We Thought Were Real Four-Down-Type Players’

Quote:
On Monday, Colbert was a guest on SiriusXM NFL Radio and he was asked by Ross Tucker if the organization just didn’t see any inside linebackers during the draft that they liked,

Quote:
..."There was only a few that we thought were real four-down-type players and when we were picking, those types of guys weren’t available to us.”

I do not know if this next statement is true or not (meaning if Colbert really did try to do this), but here it is...

Quote:
It’s been reported since the draft ended that the Steelers had had their sights set on former Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans and that Colbert had even attempted to trade up in the first-round to get him.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/colbert-on-2018-ilb-draft-class-only-a-few-that-we-thought-were-real-four-down-type-players/

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 am 

That’s why I kind of give a raised eyebrow to everyone saying it’s was the plan all along to draft safeties as linebackers due to a new age defense.
My money is that if they could have drafted Evans a traditional ILB that he would have been the pick.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 am 

Flanker wrote:
Not that he is an ILB but Tegray Scales was one of the more impressive linebackers I saw play last year and he hasn't been drafted yet... I don't understand but I guess that's why I'm not paid to evaluate players.

Stiff as can be and not good in coverage. Also on the slow side. As a downhill, college game run defender, he was very good.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:18 am 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
Serious question, does anyone believe that a little weight and some coaching that Marcus Allen could turn into their ILB of the future?

Dude loves to hit, lives for it and nobody wants him covering 25 yards downfield, make him play at the LOS

Mack has to carry the TE and make plays on the football in deep middle zone. He also has to get off or defeat blocks from OGs. If one believes Allen can do that, then, yes, he could play ILB. It's possible both Allen and Edmunds will grow into Ryan Shazier sized players... both are young (21).

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am 

Flanker wrote:
Jason Cabinda is the perfect old school type MLB and a real thumper but we already have that in Williams. I'm somewhat surprised he will be a UDFA... that position/skillset is dying in todays league.

Thumpers are passé, because the Tom Brady's and Sean McVays of the world can manipulate them into 1-on-1 matchups in the passing game on any down. Hybrid SS/LB guys like Deion Jones are all the rage now, and the draft reflects those two developments.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:57 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
That’s why I kind of give a raised eyebrow to everyone saying it’s was the plan all along to draft safeties as linebackers due to a new age defense.
My money is that if they could have drafted Evans a traditional ILB that he would have been the pick.

But yet none were worthy of trading up to get like Terrell's younger brother Trumaine who fell to the bills at 16; Colbert said it, Not willing to mortgage the future on one draft spot. ILB position this draft was very light. Safety, DLine and corner were all heavy. Too bad they didn't need any of those positions, right.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 am 

Well, there are two camps apparently.

Camp A

Some will listen to the heresy by Dulac, saying that the Steelers were trying to trade up to get Evans and when that plan fell through then they went to Plan B and then reached for Edmunds at safety and then double dipped in panic mode with Marcus Allen. That sounds so far fetched to me.

Camp B

The Steelers, knowing that the issues on defense were not just related to Ryan Shazier's absence, decide to go all in on transforming their defense, their sub package defense.

Carnell Lake amicably leaves and Bradley is hired to be the new secondary coach.
John Mitchell is relieved of his defensive line coach duties and Karl Dunbar is hired to be the new D-line coach.

They first sign ILB Jon Bostic, who has experience playing inside in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, who is a quality athlete, 4.61 40, 6.99 3 cone. Then then proceed to cut Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden and Willie Gay before the draft. True Gay was a CB but he played a lot last season as a nickel safety, dime linebacker, etc. They cut 3 players that had combined for some 1,150 snaps on defense last season.

The Steelers cut one of their starting safeties in Mike Mitchell, their 3rd safety in Robert Golden and their long time vet swiss army knife in Gay. That to me clearly showed a plan, a commitment to transform the defense.

They then sign two safeties, Morgan Burnett and Nat Berhe. Morgan is capable of playing FS, SS and nickel linebacker, but he is up in age now, 29 years old, starting his 9th season. Berhe is not really an option to play defense, strictly a special teams player, he will replace Golden in that important up back role for punts, etc.

So, Morgan can be a starter and easily cancels out Mitchell, but how do they replace the almost 500 snaps that Golden and Gay had on defense?

They were going to draft a safety in this draft and probably two, the moves they made before the draft, the players that they cut clearly show this. The pro day visits, the interest in most all of the safeties clearly show this. Then in the draft they select Edmunds who has size, speed and athletic ability but more importantly, is a vocal leader, a team leader, and is said to be more like Burnett, a player who is football smart and can digest different assignments and be used in multiple roles.

Then they pick Marcus Allen, another player who can be used in nickel and dime packages but does not have that special athleticism of Edmunds.

Sorry, but I am firmly in Camp B, the Steelers were transforming their defense this offseason before the draft. They were bringing in new coaches, jettisoning old players, signing new players like Bostic and Morgan Burnett. How anybody can just have a blind eye to all of that and then claim the big safety, new age sub package defense only happened because they couldn't trade for Evans? :roll:

I can't remember a time on defense where we had so much change. To have two new position coaches that are not indoctrinated in the old Lebeau scheme, and to get rid of two established vets like Mitchell and Gay in one offseason? There is a plan in action and it started well before the draft and before we supposedly failed to trade up for Evans.